Worst Ict team ever?

Bronson

On 01/10/2017 at 11:24 AM, DWH said:

I thought we were dismal last season : definitely by a big margin the worst ever. team

Haven't seen the team play this season, but early season results against the likes of Stirling Albion, Brechin and Forfar did not bode well...........and seem to have been carried over to the league.

.................nothing coming out of the club to indicate any measures to sort the shambles out.

County seem a much better run club , especially when they can attract the likes of Owen Coyle (I know Uncle Roy has deep pockets but Tullochs have done pretty well by us over the years).

Unbelievably we are staring a Championship relegation battle in the face as things stand.......looking at the table there is an ever widening chasm between us and possible play off contenders.

Not convinced about the 'benefits' of Tullochs - granted, they did knock up the North & South stands quickly enough in 2004, but they have made plenty out of the rent they charged us (until the announcement re: gifting the stands to the club, I wasn't aware that the club didn't own them anyway!). 

Totally different situation to County who, imho, remind me of another club with an owner who doled out the cash..Gretna (not as bad though)..if County had to balance the books lime we do, might put a slightly different perspective on things..

On 02/10/2017 at 6:10 PM, Keybaird Warrior said:

The seeds were sewn when the club got rid of a Scottish Cup winnng manager. The rest, as they say is history. 

No, the seeds were sown when the club decided to hold on to a Scottish Cup manager, and didn't let hIm speak to Dundee United. 

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Charles Bannerman said:

I see what you are saying Hawkeye, but is it not with the benefit of some hindsight?

Aren't most things? I'm sure if the board knew how things would turn out, they would have done it differently. 

I have said before that I was glad at the time that the board decided to rebuff both the approach for Hughes by United, and Aberdeen's bid for Tansey. 

With the benefit of hindsight, I wish they'd accepted both. 

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, HawkeyeTheGnu said:

Aren't most things? I'm sure if the board knew how things would turn out, they would have done it differently. 

I have said before that I was glad at the time that the board decided to rebuff both the approach for Hughes by United, and Aberdeen's bid for Tansey. 

With the benefit of hindsight, I wish they'd accepted both. 

You are right Hawkeye the twice the club stood our ground on transfers and lost out on both :sad:

3 hours ago, HawkeyeTheGnu said:

No, the seeds were sown when the club decided to hold on to a Scottish Cup manager, and didn't let hIm speak to Dundee United. 

And Hughes reacted with good grace to that decision refusing to take training for two days then threw his toys out the pram for the remainder of his tenure. 

• Agree 1

Completely agree that's where things started to go wrong - with the benefit of hindsight!!

How many of us at the time thought 'good on the club for growing a pair & telling Dundee Utd where to go (politely)', though? I was glad at the time, although, clearly this was the wrong decision...in hindsight.

Tansey was another variation on the same theme...in hindsight, we should have probably sold him to The Sheep when they were willing to meet his (alleged...) buyout clause (which was about £200k, I think).

Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing!!

On 9/30/2017 at 10:51 PM, jagster said:

I remember all those years ago watching our first league game with herchie mikey noble etc an thinking how good we were. I don’t think that now. We progressed over many years adding better players but we have totally regressed now. The team we have now couldn’t lace the boots of the cup winning team. The whole place seems dead at the moment. The team the crowd etc it’s going to take quite a turnaround to get it back 

I remember that first League game too. I don't think the current incumbents (or incompetents) could beat that new League entrant team of yesteryear so, for that reason, they we must currently boast the worst ICT team ever. If I recall correctly, Hercher got a hat-trick that day, the current team needs a road map to find the opposing box.

Problem is that comparing the current team against the team from history which entered the League system isn't fair as the current squad will be getting paid more and therefore are and should be competing at a higher level. Whether or not this on paper is the best or worst team is subjective - however it can be argued that historically to  have an international keeper (OFW) and players of the calibre we have seen from Raven, Tremarco, Warren, Vigurs (on occasion), Doran (if fit) would have always been welcomed additions to any ICT team at any level. What we have is some of those players starting to wane as they get older or recover from numerous injuries - perhaps the best of Warren & Raven is in the past - we have others who aren't being helped by the mediocrity around them - OFW has a poorly performing defence infront of him and there is little quality and support across the park for players like Vigurs or Polly - who I consider both being poor this year. However the biggest issue is the recruitment which has come in - would many of them stake a claim in any ICT team at any level - possibly Trafford but many look out of their depth.

The question has to be is this the most uncompetitive ICT team at any level since entering the League system - the answer to that is yes, are they the worst - possibly not with the least ability but certainly the least fight, heart, desire and capability to perform at the level expected. Not sure anyone thought we'd storm the league but we certainly had expected the team to be able to compete with those around the play-off positions, unfortunately we are but at the wrong end.

When we were in Division 1 on 2009/10, I remember many people saying (possibly correctly) that the team we won the league with was better than the one we were relegated with.  Yes there was a few of duds like Lionel Djebi-Zadi, Andrew Barrowman (before he was punted) and Daniel Stratford, but it did include Jonny Hayes, Adam Rooney and Richie Foran, all of whom were probably the best players in the league at that time.  Remember as well, the team we were relegated with had the likes of Felipe Morais in it, who was certainly no dud.  Can't say the same about this season - Foran's flops last season would absolutely gub the current team.

Imagine we plonked back in the Premiership tomorrow, who would you keep?  Tremarco definitely, along with probably Connor Bell, Iain Vigurs and Owain Fon Williams as well as probably Seedorf and Trafford.  The rest would be out of their depth in the Premiership, including Raven and Warren, both of whom look like their legs have gone.  People can constantly make excuses about poor Robbo and his budget, but that doesn't account for signings players like Joe Chalmers, Coll Donaldson, John Baird, Alex Cooper and Mark Ridgers all of whom were known to be absolutely rotten.  I refuse to believe they're the best players we could find.  As well as that, George Oakley and Felitciano Zschusschen look absolutely garbage, especially the latter.  Is this the worst Caley Thistle team ever?  I'd say yes it is and the manager must take some of the blame.

• Agree 1

I honestly reckon Djebi-Zadi is better than Joe Chalmers.  At least Lionel was fast and had a bit of flair going forward.  Chalmers is dreadful, absolutely dreadful and could easily be one of our worst ever players.

Edited by Renegade

Given Graham Rae's recent comments it looks like JR will be here in January.

I wonder who will be brought in during the next transfer window?  

I would like to think he has lined up some decent loan signings to improve us, even if in the short term and to regain stability.

Forget the play offs!!

I would also punt Elsdon, Raven is going.  Donaldson and Cooper, maybe keep them until next summer. Tremarco, Polworth and Vigurs will likely run down their contracts and or sign PCAs. Pretty sure the last two will be off come next summer given where we are at now, plus the unfavour stick they get. 

Edited by Guest

I haven't been on the site for a few weeks, purely to maintain my sanity given the rank performances over the past few weeks, but was thinking of making an effort to go to the game against Peterhead tomorrow.  Having read through the comments on this thread and some of the others I am having serious doubts