Losing money from advertising hoardings

cif73

Someone told me that apparently there are advertising hoardings round the pitch where businesses haven't been asked for renewal monies in years. So not even a question that certain businesses won't pay ... they haven't even been asked. Has anyone else heard that? Can the business admin/cash collection in the club really be that bad? 

Not sure the following really belongs in here but it almost falls under the same topic so I'll lob it in anyway... 

We have a board that tells drivers on the A9 when the next home game is but is this not in the wrong place? Currently only traffic coming off the bridge will see it (maybe going on as well I can't remember) and I was wondering yesterday if a similar board on the A82 approach would be a better location? More likely to hit Inverness folk that way and therefore potential ICT fans. Those coming over the bridge probably already have a team you'd imagine. 

• Agree 2

55 minutes ago, RiG said:

Not sure the following really belongs in here but it almost falls under the same topic so I'll lob it in anyway... 

We have a board that tells drivers on the A9 when the next home game is but is this not in the wrong place? Currently only traffic coming off the bridge will see it (maybe going on as well I can't remember) and I was wondering yesterday if a similar board on the A82 approach would be a better location? More likely to hit Inverness folk that way and therefore potential ICT fans. Those coming over the bridge probably already have a team you'd imagine. 

Rig that is to try and convert the County supporters coming into Inverness :lol: 

Constant advertising (whether static in place advertising or just continual reminders throughout the city) means continually reminding the public of the existence of the club and the fact that the club is trying hard to get the fans through the turnstyles. And is their enough funding available for TV ads? 

What about Yellow Page advertising?  Is this available in Britain? In North America  it's affordable and if you really want to make a splash then you can purchase one of these very large pages offering the world to the punters .........   ?.

Baring in mind the current fare on offer on the pitch just now, I doubt any form of advertising will encourage new fans through the turnstiles. The advertising money may best be used for taxi's for the under performing members of the squad. :blink:

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Funny 1

55 minutes ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

How about a big board stating "Money Back If Not Satisfied"  !!!

Or..how about another "Pay what you think it's worth" game? 

On current form the gate will be huge as people will attend so that they can get the payout the club give them as they leave!

1 hour ago, Caleytrue said:

Or..how about another "Pay what you think it's worth" game? 

On current form the gate will be huge as people will attend so that they can get the payout the club give them as they leave!

Sadly, the reality is that unless fans continue to come to games and pay the full price, the club will have even less money to pay wages and the fare on offer will get even worse.  Advertising revenues will rise only if gates rise.

19 hours ago, cif73 said:

So not even a question that certain businesses won't pay ... they haven't even been asked.

This sounds remarkably like "The Clachnacuddin Vindication" of some years ago when Clach owed the Council megabucks of rent for Grant Street and the club explained itself away by simply stating that the Council hadn't asked it for the money..... which Clach didn't have if the Council had asked!

On the original question, I'm not in any way doubting the validity of the assertion, but is there any evidence, other than hearsay, that renewals have not been sought? The alleged issue would certainly stand up a lot better if it were thus supported.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

1 hour ago, Charles Bannerman said:

This sounds remarkably like "The Clachnacuddin Vindication" of some years ago when Clach owed the Council megabucks of rent for Grant Street and the club explained itself away by simply stating that the Council hadn't asked it for the money..... which Clach didn't have if the Council had asked!

On the original question, I'm not in any way doubting the validity of the assertion, but is there any evidence, other than hearsay, that renewals have not been sought? The alleged issue would certainly stand up a lot better if it were thus supported.

I only have hearsay ... but, fearing there's no smoke without fire, my opening post was essentially an open enquiry to the gathered throng for confirmation/supportable evidence. 

Absolute nonsense. I know for a fact that the club go through a renewal period for advertisers/sponsors EVERY summer, with businesses' given the options of renewing or not renewing their advertising board. Much the same process as season ticket holders.

Any business that didn't take up the offer for the following season meant their board was available for re-sale. I'm assuming the efforts were and are still being made to get new advertisers involved in the club in a very challenging market.

Sorry to extinguish the fire cif73

9 minutes ago, Stevemc1994 said:

Absolute nonsense. I know for a fact that the club go through a renewal period for advertisers/sponsors EVERY summer, with businesses' given the options of renewing or not renewing their advertising board. Much the same process as season ticket holders.

Any business that didn't take up the offer for the following season meant their board was available for re-sale. I'm assuming the efforts were and are still being made to get new advertisers involved in the club in a very challenging market.

Hmm.  Don't think you have extinguished the fire.  I seem to recall that at the Q&A evening earlier in the season, Danny MacDonald  talked about how, what with the Stadium being so close to the Longman, he popped into 2 or 3 business to introduce himself.  The message he got was that businesses were surprised that nobody from the club had been in touch before and that there was a willingness to work with the club if asked to.  I assume he is now picking up on that in his new role.  I would agree with you that it is unlikely  the club will not have followed through with existing sponsors, but Danny's remarks would seem to be an admission from the club itself that there is untapped potential and this has been a bit of a neglected area in the past.

The original post referred to the club's inability to communicate with existing advertisers and sponsors to get monies from them and made it out that there was no renewal process so it kind of did.

One of the most important factors for any football club is to obtain new business as well as maintaining their existing and in many cases loyal advertisers and sponsors.  I notice there has been a lot of new business' popping up in the last couple of years including our current shirt sponsors McEwen Fraser, Subway, Korrie so that would lead me to think that this process has already been started and is still needing work.

entirely anecdotal .... but based on our own dealings with the club as a player sponsor, we are definitely approached every year to renew, and usually again part way through if there are still available opportunities.  I am sure our name would come off if we did not renew. The odd private conversation I have had with people at the club and also with a couple of sponsors in the not too distant past would also indicate that renewal letters or calls are the norm. 

If indeed there are people who have had boards at the stadium 'for years' without payment (which I am inclined to doubt unless someone has somehow slipped through the cracks) then I am sure the mere raising of this topic will have a few people doing a double check of the current situation and making sure they are squeezing as much out of that as they can. Where I do think there is an opportunity is as noted in the last post .... are we getting round businesses and maximising the potential revenue? A few years ago, I know some sponsors were saying "FFS - they are asking for something every other week - players sponsors, matchday, hospitality, programme, hoardings, black-tie events .... " so it is clear that we do (or did) have some people who could try to get blood out of a stone at one point !

3 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

Hmm.  Don't think you have extinguished the fire.  I seem to recall that at the Q&A evening earlier in the season, Danny MacDonald  talked about how, what with the Stadium being so close to the Longman, he popped into 2 or 3 business to introduce himself.  The message he got was that businesses were surprised that nobody from the club had been in touch before and that there was a willingness to work with the club if asked to.  I assume he is now picking up on that in his new role.  I would agree with you that it is unlikely  the club will not have followed through with existing sponsors, but Danny's remarks would seem to be an admission from the club itself that there is untapped potential and this has been a bit of a neglected area in the past.

I wonder if he has visited any of the Macgregors business in the Longman to see if they would support their local football club :wink:

• Funny 1

21 hours ago, Stevemc1994 said:

Very glad to be extinguished, Stevemc1994 :smile:

17 hours ago, Scotty said:

If indeed there are people who have had boards at the stadium 'for years' without payment (which I am inclined to doubt unless someone has somehow slipped through the cracks) then I am sure the mere raising of this topic will have a few people doing a double check of the current situation and making sure they are squeezing as much out of that as they can

Yes I suppose that was an indirect aim of my raising the post ... to encourage a double-check that everything is in order with advertising board renewals.

Edited by cif73

On 02/10/2017 at 8:45 AM, Gringo said:

Baring in mind the current fare on offer on the pitch just now, I doubt any form of advertising will encourage new fans through the turnstiles. The advertising money may best be used for taxi's for the under performing members of the squad. :blink:

Whoever red dotted this post has had a sense of humour bypass.