Rename game

CableGuy

May as well just be whores like every other club and call it based on whoever pays the most - at first when Arsenal or Man City called their grounds the Emirates or Ethiad they had an ok ring to it, but once you start with the Tony Macaroni or the Superseat and the like - it becomes a bit of a joke and clubs start to look silly IMO. But its part of the modern game so we best embrace it before we get left behind.

Main options obviously is Wethers Original ...........

• Funny 2

47 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

We might as well call it Pittodrie then, isn't that the translation of what Pittodrie means? The hill of manure ?

I never knew that!

"Hills of dung are hardly unknown in football, at least in the metaphorical sense, but Aberdeen fans have a powerful affection for theirs. The name of the club's home at Pittodrie derives, evidently, from a Gaelic term for 'a place of manure'.

When the newly established club took possession of the site in 1891, they found exactly that; it had been used to stable police horses. There was also a rubbish dump while the wider area was known as Gallows Marsh."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2369117/Pittodrie-built-on-rotting-foundations.html

And I've just discovered that "Ibrox" means "badgers' den"...

• Funny 1

44 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

I never knew that!

"Hills of dung are hardly unknown in football, at least in the metaphorical sense, but Aberdeen fans have a powerful affection for theirs. The name of the club's home at Pittodrie derives, evidently, from a Gaelic term for 'a place of manure'.

When the newly established club took possession of the site in 1891, they found exactly that; it had been used to stable police horses. There was also a rubbish dump while the wider area was known as Gallows Marsh."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2369117/Pittodrie-built-on-rotting-foundations.html

And I've just discovered that "Ibrox" means "badgers' den"...

Built a stadium on a rubbish dump. Which club nowadays would be stupid enough to do that.? 

Welcome back Don!

Was the land not made up of ash from burned refuse? This was the way that waste used to be dealt with before the practice of tipping it straight into a landfill area without any treatment, like the reclaimed land to the south east the actual 'dump'.  Being mostly ash could also explain why the land drains quite well.

Given the current state of things down by, The Graveyard might be appropriate.