Who next for Scotland?

jingsmonty

After the departure of Gordon Strachan, who do we fancy to replace him? Personally, I was slightly disappointed to see Strachan go (but it was probably inevitable) - he did make mistakes & the results at the start of qualifying were awful (1-1 draw with Lithuania at home springs to mind), but at the end if the campaign, felt like we were starting to get somewhere..just not quite far enough..

My choice? Struggling with this, but Moyes, Lambert & McLeish seem to be tbe favourites - can't say I fancy Allardyce for the job though!

I did like Strachan's obvious passion for the job, but he was a bit stubborn with his team selections at times....

14 hours ago, Caley Mad In Berks said:

Anyone but Allardyce for me.    But, out of the current candidates, I'd probably try Moyes.   I think McLeish, like Robertson for ICT, has been out of the front line too long.

Would agree with that...I know malky mackay is taking interim charge for the friendly next month, but can't see that being a permanent appointment - think he is on a good number with the SFA anyway!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 15/11/2017 at 3:39 PM, jingsmonty said:

It's looking very much like it'll be Michael O'Neill then...can't say I'm unhappy about that

Wrong. 

Lots of interested candidates according to Stewart Regan. 

Jimmy Krankie, Jack and Victor, John Hughes and Ritchie Foran. 

There will be plenty of candidates available, in a few years time ! 

At the moment who knows,  is there anyone the likes of Ryan Giggs a youngish novice taking on the Wales job.

Do they need years of experience?

What I find myself a bit bemused at is all the outcry against Regan for not landing O'Neill. Was there really any realistic chance of luring the guy away from a job in his own country, Northern Ireland, with a higher rated team where he's getting more money and on a longer contract?

Compared with that, did the Scotland job actually have ANYTHING going for him at all? He did make the point very strongly himself that, irrespective of all the other considerations, he is Northern Irish, so it's quite important to him to have a job with Northern Ireland, even though I do believe he lives in Scotland.

The outcry against Regan is not for not landing Michael O'Neill. That was never likely for all the reasons you mention.

The outcry is for not having a plan B in the, very likely, event of plan A not coming to fruition.

Several months since Strachan and the SFA parted company and we have wasted all of that time on a very predictable wild goose chase.

Regan is on a substantial six figure salary and has, once again, proved himself clueless.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/02/2018 at 9:06 PM, Rasczak said:

An offer has been made to save the SFA a fortune.

Yogi was also on Radio Scotland this morning saying his achievements at Falkirk and Inverness made him the best man for the job.  You can't help but love the way he talks, but Scotland needs a manager where the performance on the park is more entertaining than the manager's post match interview.  With Yogi it would be the other way round.

• Funny 1

Give him a chance, he's a decent record on paper and is probably more relevant in the game than others like Walter & Eck, also done more in the game than racist Malky. I expect the SFA to wait it out til the summer when either Moyes or Lambert will be available regardless of where they keep their clubs in the EPL.

You can see why the SFA were so keen on Michael O'Neill.  He has produced a huge improvement in performance in Northern Ireland with a group of players who are, on the whole, very ordinary.  His skill is in identifying players who will complement each other and work together as a team, and then getting them to work for each other on the park.  Scotland has a significantly better pool of players to choose from but nobody who is likely to be considered as one of the Scottish greats.  Success for Scotland will mean utilising exactly the skills which O'Neill has demonstrated across the water.

Does McLeish have these skills?  He has a reasonable record as a manager and seems to have done reasonably well at getting the best out of the players available to him.  But management at international level is very different from club level.  Instead of having a fixed squad , you have a wealth of players to choose from and have the freedom to select players that you think will gel together.  I think McLeish won't be too bad in that respect but as Renegade says, it is an uninspiring appointment.  I can see him adopting too cautious an approach in games which might lead to failure to qualify for the European finals by virtue of drawing too many games. I hope I'm wrong.  I may be English but I would love to see Scotland reach a major finals again.

It's not really the manager appointment that's the problem with Scotland, it's the lack of quality footballers that is holding us back and that issue lies squarely with the SFA and mismanagement from grass roots to the top.

In years gone by we always had top players playing in top English teams, Law, Lorimer, Cooke, Dalglish, Bremner, Souness, Holton, Hansen, Gemmill, Strachan, Mackay, Jordan, Gilzean, White, McAllister.................. It's a long list.

Now we have.............erm........... Is there anyone?