17 October 1953, Telford Street Park

snorbens_caleyman

3 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

It was 64 years ago today.     Were you there? :amazed:

Click on the PDF link below to see the complete programme. 

complete programme.pdf

59e5acbc815c0_img637sml.jpg.0a8becd0b3d4c27be3998f49417d379a.jpg59e5acc47d3ce_img638sml.jpg.8a2dac508f10317ca943e2c0123208ce.jpg

You know, I'm old enough to remember this, but alas, I wasn't at that match.  Can't remember why I missed it.  Looking at the team sheets brings back good memories  of the real glory days of Caley, seeing a few  of their great players involved in this match.  Bobby Bolt as trainer, Willie Bruce, Donnie ("Ginger") MacKenzie and Willie Jamieson were all favourites of mine.  I notice Andrew ("Joopie") Mitchel had transferred to Thistle by then.  I thought he'd gone a little later than that. Other Inverness stalwarts in the team include Roy Lytham and Roddie McLean.  Also, Tom McNiven, as linesman, was a well known face in Inverness sport for many years.  I remember him most as a cricket umpire in the N Of Scotland league.

Thanks for replying!  I know that one or two here are old enough, so I wasn't being totally facetious when I asked if anyone was there.

It was before my time, but my late father must have been there - I came across this in the many boxes of old photographs that I took out of the family home years ago, and that I am only now exploring.

I remember my Dad and my grandfather talking about Bobby Bolt, Ginger Mackenzie and Joopie Mitchell - and they'd probably have known all the other Inverness players too.  Roy Lytham was on the committee at Thistle when my Dad was there in the late 60s - he was the only man who could get off with taking the mickey out of Jock McDonald. I think I remember Tom McNiven being there too - I don't think he had any official position, but he always used to be in the "tunnel" under the stand.

This one's a bit early for me - I was just 3 month old! There are one or two names I recognise, though. Joopie Mitchell is a legend and I think I remember Bobby Bolt as part of the Caley coaching set up in the 60s??? Another name I recollect is Roy Lytham - to whom respect if he could take the mick out of Jock! Then there's Jackie Wheeler of Clach, the late father of Iain Wheeler who remains a Clach diehard to this day.

Right halves.... inside lefts... 2-3-5.....these were the days!

I was 15 at that time and remember Bobby Bolt  as a rather toothless  centre half for Caley  who sweated a lot on his forehead .I think he came directly from Rangers F.C.. He also was on the go just before (or even alongside)   Pete MacKinnon  worked his considerable muscular build into  the centre half position. Pete always seemed to dance rather than run and mostly on his tip-toes/. He married the daughter of my next  door neighbour and was always kind and friendly to me. I remember him fondly and with great respect He passed away in a home in Fairfield road only a few years ago I believe. Truly a cheery chap and a kind and honorable gentleman. Jupie Mitche;ll of course and Frank MacBeth on the right side of the Caley team as he  danced his merry way forward with the ball. Them:clapping: were the days indeed.

• 1 month later...

If anyone collects old programmes, there is one from this match on eBay just now. Ends Monday 27th at 22:28 GMT. Currently (Sunday 26th, 19:08) at £11.55. Two people have bid so far.

There's only a photograph of the front, but it looks to be in good condition - much better than mine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1953-FRIENDLY-SCOTTISH-FA-X1-v-SOUTH-AFRICA-X1-INVERNESS/263295330873?hash=item3d4d9fea39:g:vA0AAOSwke9Z~KtC

Edited by snorbens_caleyman

I think Peter MacKinnon was a very popular man  and a very successful centre half for Caley. He was always friendly and respectful and smiling. After my next door neighbour married Pete the Caley players were not short of being shy to show up at her door. Her daughter, Dale,  still lives in Inverness and after living at Hilton (I think)  she is now resident East of Inverness and has  a small farm which I visited the last time I was over. Has some big sheep and she manhandles them with ease. Absolutely great people!!

When that match was played I was 15 at  that time but don't recall attending. 

This thread is so interesting to me. thanks Mantis!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2017 at 6:54 PM, Kingsmills said:

With apologies to New Zealand, that would have been a match against 'The All Whites'.

That went through my mind looking at the line-up.  No African names whatsoever.  All British sounding aside from a couple of what I assume are Afrikaans. 

Edited by Renegade

• 1 year later...
On 11/26/2017 at 8:54 PM, Scarlet Pimple said:

I think Peter MacKinnon was a very popular man  and a very successful centre half for Caley. He was always friendly and respectful and smiling. After my next door neighbour married Pete the Caley players were not short of being shy to show up at her door. Her daughter, Dale,  still lives in Inverness and after living at Hilton (I think)  she is now resident East of Inverness and has  a small farm which I visited the last time I was over. Has some big sheep and she manhandles them with ease. Absolutely great people!!

When that match was played I was 15 at  that time but don't recall attending. 

This thread is so interesting to me. thanks Mantis!!

Did Peter MacKinnon not have two sons Angus and Peter?

I can't recall , Caleyboy , but I think you are right. The name Angus resonates some. And if I am not mistaken may have been  on the books of Caley  as well as he grew up.

Peter was a train engine driver or fireman in these days .He was very popular at that time and the very fact that he always  spoke to me in a very friendly way when I was just a young teenager has remained  a very endearing memory for me.

On 6/22/2019 at 6:25 PM, caleyboy said:

Did Peter MacKinnon not have two sons Angus and Peter?

He did Caleyboy and Peter played football for the High school I'm sure you'll remember him.Great lad.

I do indeed. I believe he is now in Edinburgh area. His great pal at the time Mecca Lockhart is in Australia and has been since he more or less left school.

Edited by caleyboy

• 3 months later...

Great picture of my favourite Caley player,  an outstanding member of a wonderful Caley team of the early 50s.   I was sad to hear that he had passed away earlier this year at the ripe old age of 91.  I last met 'Ginger' and his wife (Maimie) at their home in Winnipeg back in late 1963!  He had just retired from playing then. I'm sure he told me then that he initially went to Vancouver, to play for the White Caps, before moving to Winnipeg.  I don't actually recall if he had played football in Winnipeg.  I guess he did, as I can't imagine anyone choosing to move  from the beautiful Vancouver to a cold, windy, desolate prairie town like Winnipeg, otherwise. 

Caley Mad in Berks. So many memories, eh?

Since I live on the outskirts of Vancouver I don't attend any of the city's  football matches --I,e the Whitecaps.

I have never been to Winnipeg and you could well be right about it's attractiveness or otherwise. Probably a wind-swept city.

I currently live in Maple Ridge,(say some 75,000 people) about 45 miles East of Vancouver. Access to Vancouver, the  capital of B. C., from where I live is by Freeway (motorway) or bus and the "Skytrain" as you get closer to the West coast which is a train running on elevated tracks with no impediments  to hinder it. The cost of homes in Vancouver city now  is so astronomical that many folks , like me, just had to move Eastwards  to be able to afford one. Then, with so many punters doing the same thing as we had to do, to  be able to buy a home, our city expanded drastically and is now double the size.

• 1 year later...

was looking through my stash and found a copy of the Scottish FA (Northern XI) v South African XI  programmes.

I have not been able to find out much about this match other than South Africa Lost 3:1 . Four days later they lost by the same score in the  only other match they played in Scotland against Dundee .  They played 20 matches won 5 Drawn 4 Lost 11.

• 3 weeks later...