Scotty

This was a great performance that seems to have signalled end of the road for McKinnon. Better team all over the pitch, vigurs motm by a mile. He was immense as was polly. Only their keeper that kept it respectable. Brilliant. 

Staying in a Perth overnight after game.

Best performance for a while, with a strong backing from a large away support.

Two well taken goals.

Ridgers had a comfortable game with two great saves.

Raven and Tremarco dependable at full back. Donaldson led the line well, and he and Mckay rarely troubled. I particularly liked Donaldson's celebrations at full time, showing his displeasure of his former team and leading the praise to the Caley fans.

All the midfield did well. Mulraney had a tremendous first half and an assist. Vigurs pulled the strings and scored a well taken goal. Polworth was in the mood, with some great moves. Chalmers was a revelation, and did extremely well. Great to hear the fans chanting for all four of them during the game.

Baird and Bell were busy, with Bell taking his goal well.

Of the subs, Trafford looked assured, Cooper held the ball up well, whilst Oakley was just a cameo appearance.

No complaints about any, but the stand outs for me were Donaldson,  Chalmers, Vigurs, Polworth and Bell.

I didn't see last week's game, but this was the best I've seen this season by a long way.

Well done to the team and management.

Dundee United were poor, so hopefully we can get a result against Dunfermline and keep the run going.

Four clean sheets too!

And that's me still unbeaten given I missed the home defeats for various reasons!

I genuinely feel we are turning he corner.

We need a big, noisy, supportive crowd next week!

Edited by Robert
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Robert said:

Staying in a Perth overnight after game.

Best performance for a while, with a strong backing from a large away support.

Two well taken goals.

Ridgers had a comfortable game with two great saves.

Raven and Tremarco dependable at full back. Donaldson led the line well, and he and Mckay rarely troubled. I particularly liked Donaldson's celebrations at full time, showing his displeasure of his former team and leading the praise to the Caley fans.

All the midfield did well. Mulraney had a tremendous first half and an assist. Vigurs pulled the strings and scored a well taken goal. Polworth was in the mood, with some great moves. Chalmers was a revelation, and did extremely well. Great to hear the fans chanting for all four of them during the game.

Baird and Bell were busy, with Bell taking his goal well.

Of the subs, Trafford looked assured, Cooper held the ball up well, whilst Oakley was just a cameo appearance.

No complaints about any, but the stand outs for me were Donaldson, Clalmets, Vigurs, Polworth and Bell.

I didn't see last week's game, but this was the best I've seen this season by a long way.

Well done to the team and management.

Dundee United were poor, so hopefully we can get a result against Dunfermline and keep the run going.

Four clean sheets too!

And that's me still unbeaten given I missed the home defeats for various reasons!

I genuinely feel we are turning he corner.

We need a big, noisy, supportive crowd next week!

So good to see some of the new guys starting to make the difference...some confidence is starting to flow.

I've heard good things recently about Chalmers, Trafford, Bell and Donaldson (and Oakley and Cooper to a lesser extent, not sure what happened to Seedorf but he sounded a prospect as well). Of last seasons signings Mulraney at last sounding like a half decent player. Was watching some old video today of a game a few seasons back when Partick beat us at home 1-2....in that game Doran looked a real threat, be great to see him back in decent form in the new year to add some momentum, it would be like a new signing

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Eagle4Caley said:

So good to see some of the new guys starting to make the difference...some confidence is starting to flow.

I've heard good things recently about Chalmers, Trafford, Bell and Donaldson (and Oakley and Cooper to a lesser extent, not sure what happened to Seedorf but he sounded a prospect as well). Of last seasons signings Mulraney at last sounding like a half decent player. Was watching some old video today of a game a few seasons back when Partick beat us at home 1-2....in that game Doran looked a real threat, be great to see him back in decent form in the new year to add some momentum, it would be like a new signing

I don't think Elbouzedi can be overlooked either, in my opinion he looked the best of a bad lot preseason so will be interesting to see what he brings to the overall picture at this juncture 

• Agree 1

Excellent team performance today. Vigurs, the Stonehaven Pirlo, absolutely bossing the midfield - ably assisted by Polworth with another energetic performance. Coll Donaldson has stepped up and looks solid in the centre of defence,  even Ridgers had two excellent saves. Back-to-back quality performances on the road. United were absolutely woeful and if either side is going to feature in the play-offs my money would be on us. We are way behind but these last two performances have been grounds for significant optimism that the corner has been turned.  Huge game next week against the Pars.

Happy camper tonight.

• Agree 1

We were excellent today, thoroughly deserved the win and it probably should've been more. We appear to have stumbled on a formation and style that works, or it has the last two weeks anyway.  We built on the performance against Falkirk and improved on it.

We set up in a pretty standard 4-4-2, relatively flat in midfield with Chalmers left and Mulreany right. Vigurs and Polworth sat in the middle in front of the the same back four as previously, including returning hero Donaldson. Up front we had Baird and Bell.

United had a few chances early and forced Ridgers into a reflex save from a shot (didn't see who hit it) and then we had to scramble clear from within the six yard box after a prolonged stramash. After that we really took over and started having an impact in an attacking sense. Baird and Tremarco missed headers and we had a few other openings before opening the scoring. Following a corner the ball was headed clear to Vigurs who shot in from the edge of the box.

We then doubled our lead with one of the best goals I've seen us score in years. A United attack broke down around our 18 yard box and we broke with a little dink into midfield from Donaldson (I think). We then moved the ball quickly through midfield and released Mulreany with a weighted through ball. Mulreany rinsed the left back for pace and drove into the box, where he hit a driven low cross that Connor Bell drilled in from a couple of yards. It was a ******* belter, everything about it was perfect, the passing, the pace, the finish.  When Mulreany got the ball I said to my mate that this would be goal of the season, I can't imagine us scoring s better one this season.

We had a couple of other breaks which could've lead to goals in the first half, Mulreany, Baird and Bell all had opportunities. Into the second half and we again sat strong and broke, with Mulreany probably having the best chance when he was pit right through but didn't shoot quickly enough. Donaldson also had a header that he put over but should've got on target. United, oddly, played with their centre half Durnan up front from an hour but that had zero impact, I don't think a single chance came from it. There were a couple of set pieces that Ridgers had to save but weren't really threatening. It was nervy for the fans because we've been so bad but looking back, we cigar'd it in the second half.

Overall, we were excellent. Vigurs was at the heart of everything, he ran the midfield. He has been superb this season, strolling though games and dominating possession. He can switch the play but it's the way he plays little passes to create space, flicks round the corner of players and turns with the ball that makes him so effective. He really has been a class act and is the heart of our team. 

Defensively we have somehow become settled and solid. Having two experienced full backs in Tremarco and Raven is a help but Donaldson has been a rock the last two weeks, defends well, no nonsense, quick and good in the air. He clearly loved getting that win, going by his celebrations at the end. He looks like being a real find. 

Up front Baird and Bell aren't likely to be prolific but the way they pull defenders about, hold the ball and make runs is vital to creating the space for our chances. Mulreany has kicked on in the last two weeks, another confidence filled game today, including an actual assist, miracle of miracles!  Second week in a row he dominated the full back and his end product was better. Great stuff

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

Chris sums the game up well, it really was a stroll in the park. No one on the pitch had a bad game today and they can all be pretty chuffed with how they performed. Vigurs, Polworth, Donaldson and Chalmers were all excellent, Bell and Baird were a real handful up front buzzing all over the front line. Raven and Tremarco have brought so much more solidity to our back line. I think we look better at the back mainly as a result of their return than anything to do with Warren. Mulraney suddenly looks like the player he always threatened to be last season but never really kicked on. That's two fantastic performances in a row from the guy and fingers crossed he knocks on from here. As Chris says Robbo seems to have stumbled across a selection and formation that works will with this personnel and has delivered two of the best results and performances we've seen in months. More of the same against Dunfermline next week please.

Also good to see some of the YT back today. Crowd was excellent, really gave the players a lot of support. No question they prefer playing in front of the away crowd who get behind them rather than some of the moaners at home matches. Hopefully a few more supporters get behind the side after these good results.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

55 minutes ago, RiG said:

Raven and Tremarco have brought so much more solidity to our back line. I think we look better at the back mainly as a result of their return than anything to do with Warren.

Hopefully we offer Raven a contract extension to the summer.

Great to see him getting the armband for the last few minutes when Vigurs was given the chance to get the fans' applause. Deservedly so on both counts.

• Agree 2

Negative.:redcard:    Dougal is a great driver. Apparently he drives some........  negative....... fans up the wall. 

C'mon Dougie , give it to them,     post a "funny" and bring at least a smile to our faces.

Today's the day! Yep, the turning point with a rejuvenated team has been reached and our new Manager will be very  thrilled and supported by this win.

:clapoverhead:

• Agree 1
  • Confused 1

A 4th clean sheet in a row, an away win against the favourites for the title and no less than 19 shots with 10 on target.  Hopefully the fair weather "fans" who deserted the team in their droves can see that if they stick with the team, they will see us climb the table playing good positive football. 

I liked the interview with the manager. Upbeat but still very grounded. He accepted a poisoned chalice when he took on the job but it is looking increasingly that he has what it takes to stop the rot.  A big "well done" to him and the team. 

• Agree 4

Am i allowed to call it an unbeaten run yet dad. Got told off last time....

Really pleased that the hard work john has done changing clubs climate of fear and bullying has started to show on the pitch. 

We may have the best guy possible to get jake to deliver an end product. His ten years of youth work will help. 

Over the moon for Chalmers as I seen something in him from the morton game where his pace had doubled from preseason and his deliveries were accurate and tackling strong. 

Might be one of those seasons where multiple players score ten goals but noone gets a real high tally and that is a little concerning. 

Next real test is dunfermline and whether the home crowd can support and nurture the team . 

• Agree 1

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic