Message from the Chairman

caleyboy

I have just read this on the ICT site. He sounds a decent enough guy and I am pleased he has identified who is actually involved in Muirfield Mills. Anyone who has invested substantial funds in our club deserves our support as long as they have no hidden agenda which I don't think this group has. They do however need help on the football side and  I hope they get this soon.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

28 minutes ago, caleyboy said:

I have just read this on the ICT site. He sounds a decent enough guy and I am pleased he has identified who is actually involved in Muirfield Mills. Anyone who has invested substantial funds in our club deserves our support as long as they have no hidden agenda which I don't think this group has. They do however need help on the football side and  I hope they get this soon.

I would pretty well agree with that. The original MM consortium were fairly well known and, further to straws in the wind that they were going to be expanding, it's good to know who are involved. I also agree that a football presence with an established pedigree is overdue on that board.

Graham Rae does indeed state that they have no agenda but it remains to be seen whether they may become obliged to adopt one. When the McGilvrays and Alan Savage announced their purchase of the Hospice shares, Dougie McGilvray stated that they would be looking to have two directors on the Board. This prompted instant speculation about a possible power struggle. among the quite fragmented factions who have significant holdings in ICT. These, let's not forget, include the strategically vital 10% voting rights of Caley Jags together - of whose existence I am aware of no more evidence now than several months ago when their apparent Dodo-like status was first mooted.

Anyway... there's also another aspect of a possible power struggle that adds potential spice. As Graham Rae says, MM have indeed made significant investment, but the bulk of their numerical clout is a result of their control of the ICT Charitable Trust and hence of the 730,000 shares donated to the Trust by Tullochs and which are inextricably associated with David Sutherland.... that well known nemesis of Messrs D. McGilvray and Savage.

3 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

<pedant> Who was this Inverness Caledonian of whom they speak? </pedant>  :wink:

In the continuing spirit of pedantry, the name of the club they would have supported for most of the time was indeed Inverness Caledonian. The geographical prefix was only shed in the 1980s as a consequence of the club falling out with the council when they failed to facilitate a planned move to a proposed new ground in the Carse.

44 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

In the continuing spirit of pedantry, the name of the club they would have supported for most of the time was indeed Inverness Caledonian. The geographical prefix was only shed in the 1980s as a consequence of the club falling out with the council when they failed to facilitate a planned move to a proposed new ground in the Carse.

Fair enough. If I wasn't so lazy I'd have checked Alex Main's book first.  However, my old season ticket below suggests that your date is not quite right.

caleysmall.jpg.f868cdec91cafe588a49705f68d7c181.jpg

Added later

Having checked Alex Main's book and a few other sources, I see little to suggest that the club was ever formally called Inverness Caledonian. Pictures of league flags and programmes from all eras invariably say just "Caledonian", apart from one programme from 1991-92 on the Caley Nostalgia website, which says "Inverness Caledonian". The club is always referred to as just "Caledonian" or "Caley" by Alex Main, and by Bill McAllister in his history of the Highland League. CB's "Against All Odds" is no help at all :wink:   

Edited by snorbens_caleyman
  • Agree 1

• Scotty changed the title to Message from the Chairman
4 hours ago, Lorna Morton said:

A wee question - do you buy tickets to the game before going to the turnstiles or is it cash gates? 

Cheers. 

Buff 

You have put this in the wrong thread Buff, you buy tickets at the new windows at the front of the stadium before going to the turnstiles.

An interesting statement that does give some clarity to the Muirfield Mills group.

I would like to hear how the transfer of the stands to the club is going though. Was it not meant to be completed by now? 

13 minutes ago, caleyboy said:

I think this is more complicated than we are lead to believe.

Yes that is my concern too. I wonder what the Muirfield Mills relationship is with Tulloch? I'm worried something has perhaps gone sour?

Maybe reading too much into it but as it was such a huge positive move given it would save around £100k per annum, I'm surprised we've had no update.

7 hours ago, Fraz said:

Yes that is my concern too. I wonder what the Muirfield Mills relationship is with Tulloch? I'm worried something has perhaps gone sour?

Maybe reading too much into it but as it was such a huge positive move given it would save around £100k per annum, I'm surprised we've had no update.

Certainly the word on the street was that there had been a delay, with speculation that this may relate to the status of a sub-clause in the original agreement, in view of the stands being donated rather than sold. Remember also that more than half the voting rights MM control are by virtue of Tulloch because Tulloch donated their 730,000 shares to the ICT Charitable Trust which MM controls.

MM now also has a 100% presence on the Board, which now numbers just three people following the resignation earlier this month of Ken Thomson. I only discovered that Ken had resigned when I made one of my periodic trawls through the Companies House files this afternoon. This is the sixth resignation from the ICT board since April.

My visit to the Companies House website also revealed no indication yet of the allocation of the 500,000 new shares whose uptake was announced in August. It was said at the time that the transaction should be complete by the end of September. This was a slice of the 1.1M new shares made available for release at the SGM early in August. I also found no indication in the CH files of the transfer of the Hospice-owned shares to their new purchasers, although I'm not sure if that information should necessarily be there yet. There's a document dated February where the Hospice are the declared owners and nothing has been updated yet. This may not be significant.

I have just got round to reading the open letter - That is a welcome "power play". The tactic has been to keep supporters in the dark with accompanied clever accountancy. The tactic has all been about control which tended to chose narcissists to manage and contain the underlying "truth". I suspect that some wanted Robbo to fail - continued success and the "sharing" concept can only serve to bring us out of the doldrums.