Scotty

8 minutes ago, caley100 said:

Gordon Strachan??????   You pished bught?

nah not yet C100 but enjoying a good malt, I was relating to Strachan's comment on height & body bulk  being a necessity in todays teams. ( or words to that effect )

Our 'giants' today were the smallest men on the pitch, they played blinders running rings round the big lads.

Really enjoyable game today, great team performance.  Tough call for man of the match but for me it's Vigurs again, held it all together and spread the ball tremendously.  Can't remember him losing the ball once either.  Great tenacious display by Bell and very good defensive display all round too.  Loved the fight and determination of Raven, another vote from me to do all we can to keep him till the end of the season minimum. If I remember correctly he linked excellently with Doran, so if Aaron's fit and back on right wing I think we'd have a great combination. 

Slightly disappointed that Baird's grievance with Polworth led to him being booked, even after he'd been booked and ref stopped play he was more interested in carrying on that argument than anyone else.  To be gym fair he seemed to get on top of things after a wee word from Rice about keeping the head.  No doubting at all his effort and looking forward to the goals starting to go in for him. 

Calder's inexperience maybe showed a bit at the end a couple of times when he went for the riskier option of taking on players/going for goal rather than taking the ball into the corner but on the whole a much more positive display from him. 

Oh and I said a few weeks ago that I never wanted to see Chalmers in (central) midfield again.  I apologise for judging so early.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, quizzer said:

Really enjoyable game today, great team performance.  Tough call for man of the match but for me it's Vigurs again, held it all together and spread the ball tremendously.  Can't remember him losing the ball once either.  Great tenacious display by Bell and very good defensive display all round too.  Loved the fight and determination of Raven, another vote from me to do all we can to keep him till the end of the season minimum. If I remember correctly he linked excellently with Doran, so if Aaron's fit and back on right wing I think we'd have a great combination. 

Slightly disappointed that Baird's grievance with Polworth led to him being booked, even after he'd been booked and ref stopped play he was more interested in carrying on that argument than anyone else.  To be gym fair he seemed to get on top of things after a wee word from Rice about keeping the head.  No doubting at all his effort and looking forward to the goals starting to go in for him. 

Calder's inexperience maybe showed a bit at the end a couple of times when he went for the riskier option of taking on players/going for goal rather than taking the ball into the corner but on the whole a much more positive display from him. 

Oh and I said a few weeks ago that I never wanted to see Chalmers in (central) midfield again.  I apologise for judging so early.

Encouraging that players previously being criticised for being poor are upping their game...I think Baird is due a goal (he'll score next week I bet)  he seems to be doing most things right. Even more encouraging that we have won our last two games without Trafford, who before then seemed to be one of the few positives, looks like we have some depth on the bench

• Agree 1

Just got back from a few days in Glasgow late last night.  Alas was not able to get from there to Sneck for yesterday's game.  I did not even know the score due to the P**s poor Wi- Fi on Virgin trains, so imagine how pleased I was getting home at 11pm to see that we'd beaten another good side with yet another clean sheet. Brilliant.  Well done to all concerned.  I can feel the confidence growing by the minute.  Onwards and upwards.

I think this result, and the previous clean sheets, will now show the teams in this league that we aren't going to be an easy touch, and hopefully now they will start to look at their fixtures against us and know that they are in for a fight. I think now that Livingston will show us a lot more respect than they would have done a few weeks ago. 

2 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

I think this result, and the previous clean sheets, will now show the teams in this league that we aren't going to be an easy touch, and hopefully now they will start to look at their fixtures against us and know that they are in for a fight. I think now that Livingston will show us a lot more respect than they would have done a few weeks ago. 

The biggest plus to me is that every team will now show us more respect and hopefully more fear. We really should be a big fish now in the Championship Pond. Dare I say it that it also may be due to improved fitness levels as well as getting to know each others qualities and weaknesses - not relying on jealousy, prior loyalty and in-house personality clashes. And of course this all enhances the confidence factor. I was dreading Liviscum but now I am looking forward to going back to the Toeknee Marconi Stadium.

16 hours ago, bughtmaster said:

nah not yet C100 but enjoying a good malt, I was relating to Strachan's comment on height & body bulk  being a necessity in todays teams. ( or words to that effect )

Our 'giants' today were the smallest men on the pitch, they played blinders running rings round the big lads.

Ahh  that's your angle!  I'll argue that the real heroes yesterday were Ridgers, Donaldson and McKay,  three of our tallest players,  5 games and no goals conceded!  i'd like to know how long is it since we achieved this?

1 hour ago, caley100 said:

Ahh  that's your angle!  I'll argue that the real heroes yesterday were Ridgers, Donaldson and McKay,  three of our tallest players,  5 games and no goals conceded!  i'd like to know how long is it since we achieved this?

and i would argue that those 3 are still pretty dodgy even although they have done well recently.

A Question for Biggin ........First, a warm welcome to  the Forum.......  Secondly,  is your second name "Hill" or "The beguine". ? :wave:

Scarlet Pimple thanks for the welcome, my name is Johnston been on the Forum for quite some time ,run the Fantasy Football on this Forum  live in Spain so don't get to many games , sit on a Saturday with Ipad on the BBC reports on the games

On ‎28‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:20 PM, neksor said:

A good performance from most players and apart from Baird's lack of discipline and ability, ICT showed that we are making the improvements necessary.

A big cuddle from Robertson for Baird when Robertson finally saw the sence in replacing him. The only weak player today was Baird!

Baird's contribution and workrate was acceptable in my book, I feel when this lad's luck changes in front of goal he'll start scoring for fun.

Discipline & Ability??..........

• Agree 2

18 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

The biggest plus to me is that every team will now show us more respect and hopefully more fear. We really should be a big fish now in the Championship Pond. Dare I say it that it also may be due to improved fitness levels as well as getting to know each others qualities and weaknesses - not relying on jealousy, prior loyalty and in-house personality clashes. And of course this all enhances the confidence factor. I was dreading Liviscum but now I am looking forward to going back to the Toeknee Marconi Stadium.

Surprised you were AWOL at your favourite stewards venue of Tannadice last week, hassle free in the shed!!

Who does the caley jags tv highlights if anyone knows are they able to put a highlights video together Instead of just goals? A lot of the good play from saturday is missed on the dafc highlights.

Edited by MorayJaggie
  • Agree 1

The performance was much better than the result suggests.  We spurned several decent opportunities, and the Pars keeper made three very good saves.  In contrast, Dunfermline only had two good chances, both from defensive mistakes. 

Whilst the crowd were understandably nervous in the last 15 minutes, the players didn't look panicky in the slightest about only having a one goal lead.  Confidence is a wonderful thing.

I think every one of the starting XI can be happy with their performance. It helps that we've hit upon a system that works for us both defensively and in attack.  In that spirit, it's only fair that I point out that Baird and Chalmers, two of my early-season whipping boys, did well.  Using Baird to run the channels and stay on the shoulder of the last defender is far more effective and that was the best I've seen him play for us.  Chalmers has found his niche in midfield, and keeps things ticking over nicely so Vigurs and Polworth can concentrate on creating things.

The three stars were Bell, Vigurs and Donaldson.  Bell must have covered every blade of grass and was out on his feet in the last ten minutes.  His movement off the ball is great and he's clearly a really intelligent player.  Vigurs meanwhile has reinvented himself as a Pirlo-esque playmaker (yes, really!) and I thought the way he controlled our tempo was terrific.

And as for Donaldson...wow.  Just, wow.  The guy looks a class act, which is astounding given his struggles at Dundee United.  Our central defence looks about a million times better for having him, just because his positional sense is so good.  Every time a ball came into our box it seemed magnetically attracted to him.  Clearly he just needed a change of scenery.  We need to sign him on a long contract pronto.

I'm dangerously close to getting optimistic about our season...

Edited by hislopsoffsideagain
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, MorayJaggie said:

Who does the caley jags tv highlights if anyone knows are they able to put a highlights video together Instead of just goals? A lot of the good play from saturday is missed on the dafc highlights.

Yeh I thought exact same, lot of good pressing play and shots at goal and good movement that I'd love to see again from a different angle. Really miss the Sportscene highlights now 

I am on an extended holiday  in Little Hampton near Brighton

I said we had to win before bonfire night and we have twice

I am not jumping on the play off band wagon yet on even the safe bandwagon , but I am greatly relieved with the teams progress

Cheers cheers and more cheers

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic