NICK ROSS Trialist

MorayJaggie

1 hour ago, MorayJaggie said:

So apparently Nick Ross is a trialist for us tonight against county.

I  wouldnt read too much into that, more likely he was just getting a game. If  he was interested in signing I think he would have done so by now but things change, only Nick knows the answer.

• Agree 1

Am I not right in saying Nick has already turned down a short term contract with us, and was hoping to go and play lower league in Spain? Would be good if we could sign him, but doesn't look like he sees any future with us.

8 minutes ago, Broonerz said:

Am I not right in saying Nick has already turned down a short term contract with us, and was hoping to go and play lower league in Spain? Would be good if we could sign him, but doesn't look like he sees any future with us.

need to ask why he is still without a club after so long. Nick is neat and tidy on the ball but he won't win you 50/50 balls. I really don't know if he is the type of player Robbo needs in this league. I'll wait for all the red dots!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Facepalm 1

Green dot from me Caleyboy. Can't say I would be too keen on us signing Ross again on this performance. Rarely wins the ball and does little with it when he does have it other than pass it to the nearest teammate.  From tonight's game I'm struggling to see what he might add to the team. 

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, caleyboy said:

need to ask why he is still without a club after so long. Nick is neat and tidy on the ball but he won't win you 50/50 balls. I really don't know if he is the type of player Robbo needs in this league. I'll wait for all the red dots!

Then don't play him in a position that requires him to win those 50/50 ball. He could be a very capable player at this level playing just behind the striker slipping balls in behind the defence for Bell or Baird to latch on to. That said, doing that would likely necessitate a change in formation and I wouldn't be supportive of that given current form. A deal to the end of the season might not be terrible especially given that his planned move to Spain or the USA doesn't seem to be happening.

• Agree 2

54 minutes ago, RiG said:

Then don't play him in a position that requires him to win those 50/50 ball. He could be a very capable player at this level playing just behind the striker slipping balls in behind the defence for Bell or Baird to latch on to. That said, doing that would likely necessitate a change in formation and I wouldn't be supportive of that given current form. A deal to the end of the season might not be terrible especially given that his planned move to Spain or the USA doesn't seem to be happening.

why spend money (which we don't have) on a player who doesn't fit?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Agree, as long as he's prepared to come in under our current, much reduced, wage structure. On that basis, he would be a useful addition to the squad.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, caleyboy said:

why spend money (which we don't have) on a player who doesn't fit?

As I said in my post I wouldn't be supportive of disrupting the current setup for obvious reasons. That said, he is a quality player at this level so if the chance came up to sign him it would daft not to consider it and see what kind of salary would be required.

ETA: As Fraz says if we did have some extra cash lying about another striker would be my preference though I wouldn't be disappointed if we did sign Ross.

Edited by RiG
  • Agree 2

It would also be good to have another local in the squad. Also if he hasnt been playing for some time, it takes a good few weeks training and games to regain your match sharpness. He was a good and important player for us before, and Im pretty sure he hasnt lost ability, just some confidence.

I would take him back if he is willing

• Agree 3

18 hours ago, Moogthurso said:

I would take him till end of season for cooper. Good passer. Quick enough. Inventive and if fit.  Is an asset i want. Id let him leave if an american or spanish club come in.  pay as you play and let him leave on free if his ambitions come through. Suits both parties. 

Sorry but I don't think he would bring anything to the table that we don't already have.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 4

On 11/11/2017 at 10:19 PM, bauhaus said:

It would also be good to have another local in the squad. Also if he hasnt been playing for some time, it takes a good few weeks training and games to regain your match sharpness. He was a good and important player for us before, and Im pretty sure he hasnt lost ability, just some confidence.

I would take him back if he is willing

Me too, with the obvious caveat that he has to fit into the current wage structure of the club. Probably a short-term deal, which maybe would suit both us & Nick (if he is looking for a move overseas). My only concern is: how hungry is he? He never quite managed to nail down a starting place last time he was here & I don't personally think a lack of ability was the reason. 

Would also agree that those who are saying that signing a striker is a priority - however, we must have some prospects from the youths who could step up here? Or Susan....?!

However, think he would have signed by now if he wanted to or if Robbo thought he would add to the team...who knows? Maybe finances are too tight to allow it? 

Edited by jingsmonty
Additional text
  • Agree 1