New Striker

1. I'd try Doran and Bell. I think Doran could fit in there and his passing and technical ability could open up defences for Bell and even Polworth and Mulraney to run onto.

2. Not sure about this one. Another obscure find maybe?

Edited by Guest

49 minutes ago, Row S said:

2. Adam Rooney and Billy Mckay - I know we probably couldn't afford them but their current clubs don't seem to see them as first choice any more.

There is the small matter of a £422K loss for the last financial year and now cutting expenditure by £1.3M - which would leave a loss of "just" £300K for the current year. The question therefore maybe becomes - how possible would it be to take in anyone at all?

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 1

Billy McKay - really?

The key to getting out of this league much as staying in the Premiership is scoring goals and having a striker capable of 15+ per season. Defences can be organised and midfield styles of play adapted but without a guy to bang the gaols in, you're always up against it. While cutting costs was required, we should have fought to keep Fisher - he would have cigared this league. Even a player like Anier would have scored goals but instead we get rid of any possible proven quality with experience and history of goal scoring to fill the team with unknown risks - to have brought a player or two in, kept Fisher and then looked at youth we would have probably spent the same as now but be better off. Said it at the time but we were too keen to cut back rather than a strategic focus on key players out of contract being retained.

In Jan I hope we can offload some deadwood and free up enough to make a loan offer for one off - Fisher, Scott Wright or Murray from Hibs (not the ginger one) - or anyone else proven

Not too concerned by the loss for last year since the club will receive 375 thousand pounds on Thursday from the International football bodiesl 

At least that is the comment, almost word for word,  I came across today in the SPL website .

let's see if it happens exactly that way.

7 hours ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

Not too concerned by the loss for last year since the club will receive 375 thousand pounds on Thursday from the International football bodiesl 

At least that is the comment, almost word for word,  I came across today in the SPL website .

let's see if it happens exactly that way.

very welcome cash but probably accounted for in last years accounts.

Yes. It will alleviate the effects of the massive debt but will have little effect upon the overall negativity of the  financial situation of the club unless there are more fans who feel it worth while to  come to matches.

And unless the club introduces some  kind of lottery type income product to generate steady income. Otherwise, without a massive cash injection by the Board of Directors, or a very  wealthy benefactor,  how can the club survive in even the Championship if past wage outlays  continue as formerly?

I am very interested in hearing views on this vital aspect of club management and survival. Together with suggestions please.

2 hours ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

Yes. It will alleviate the effects of the massive debt but will have little effect upon the overall negativity of the  financial situation of the club unless there are more fans who feel it worth while to  come to matches.

And unless the club introduces some  kind of lottery type income product to generate steady income. Otherwise, without a massive cash injection by the Board of Directors, or a very  wealthy benefactor,  how can the club survive in even the Championship if past wage outlays  continue as formerly?

I am very interested in hearing views on this vital aspect of club management and survival. Together with suggestions please.

we already have a lottery, the centenary club.

On 27/11/2017 at 8:23 AM, bdu98196 said:

Billy McKay - really?

The key to getting out of this league much as staying in the Premiership is scoring goals and having a striker capable of 15+ per season. Defences can be organised and midfield styles of play adapted but without a guy to bang the gaols in, you're always up against it. While cutting costs was required, we should have fought to keep Fisher - he would have cigared this league. Even a player like Anier would have scored goals but instead we get rid of any possible proven quality with experience and history of goal scoring to fill the team with unknown risks - to have brought a player or two in, kept Fisher and then looked at youth we would have probably spent the same as now but be better off. Said it at the time but we were too keen to cut back rather than a strategic focus on key players out of contract being retained.

In Jan I hope we can offload some deadwood and free up enough to make a loan offer for one off - Fisher, Scott Wright or Murray from Hibs (not the ginger one) - or anyone else proven

They did try to keep Fisher, but he decided to sign a deal with Motherwell instead & who could blame him?

I too would have loved Fisher to stay...

• 2 weeks later...

It's good to have a person like Charles  Bannerman on board. Whilst the rest of us dream Charles always manages to bring us back to reality with his clear understanding of the situation. I think I would rather dream. 

• Funny 1

On 26/11/2017 at 10:50 PM, Row S said:

1. Warren, Bell and Doran.

2. Adam Rooney and Billy Mckay - I know we probably couldn't afford them but their current clubs don't seem to see them as first choice any more.

C'mon, we have Susan waiting to come back....!:lol:

Seriously, can see either a loan deal (couldn't see Rooney or McKay doing it though) or, as has been said, an obscure name.

Think it will be the latter, maybe a young, hungry player who hadn't broken into a 1st team squad yet - either on loan or signing (a route that has served ys well before...Wyness springs to mind).

Or, give our youth a chance - sure there's some decent potential there?

Not sure if we are much of a platform at the moment PC we obviously can’t pay big wages and without being in the top flight and being miles from the central belt we are not really an attractive proposition   I don’t imagine hordes of players desperate to join us tbh 

3 minutes ago, jagster said:

Not sure if we are much of a platform at the moment PC we obviously can’t pay big wages and without being in the top flight and being miles from the central belt we are not really an attractive proposition   I don’t imagine hordes of players desperate to join us tbh 

Bring your boots on Saturday jagster :smile:

• Funny 1

On 07/12/2017 at 10:53 PM, jagster said:

aah yes what i should of said is there must be players out there who as wee boys dreamed of playing for "big" clubs like Aberdeen so come and play up here and that dreams will come true