David Raven

cif73

A couple more.

As others have said above, I'd like to express my personal thanks to 'the rave' . That semi-final left-back to right-back goal is something I'll remember forever!!!!

We're probably seeing the end of an era with his exit but he'll never be forgotten. Honourably and thankfully, unlike others , he's not whoring himself over the bridge. Cheers Dave and all the best. :notworthy:

00287720.jpg

JS64891674.jpg

Edited by RednBlackComeback
  • Agree 4

Glad the club did at least make an offer. Although I think we all knew it would have to be on reduced terms. Also fully understand why this wouldn't work for David. 

He's been an absolute legend for ICT and will go down permanently in our history as one of the best. Club stalwart who can comfortably be mentioned in same breath as likes of Tokely, Munro, Golabek, Duncan etc. Players who always dug deep for the cause.

• Agree 5

My first memory of him was the pre-season friendly against Coventry when he was laid out in a challenge and stretchered from the field in a neck brace and immobilised, and looked like it could be bad. When I spoke to him after the game he just had a bit of a headache. Tough guy who gave his all from day one.

• Agree 3

33 minutes ago, Council Juice said:

Glad the club did at least make an offer. Although I think we all knew it would have to be on reduced terms. Also fully understand why this wouldn't work for David. 

He's been an absolute legend for ICT and will go down permanently in our history as one of the best. Club stalwart who can comfortably be mentioned in same breath as likes of Tokely, Munro, Golabek, Duncan etc. Players who always dug deep for the cause.

This is exactly the kind of response the club will have been hoping to see from more fans. "Can't blame us at least we tried". Fact is that Raven has been treated pretty shoddily by the club for a long time now and to offer him a contract knowing full well it wasn't even close to what he was looking for is another insult as far as I'm concerned, a piece meal offering. They'd have been as well not offering him anything and just letting him go in January.

• Agree 4
  • Facepalm 2

16 hours ago, tm4tj said:

And the board have a club to run within their financial means.

Do they really want to move him on, or is it just that they are not willing to be held to ransom by a wages demand that they find excessive given our predicament.

He has been a decent player for Inverness over the years, but he can't expect to get the same wages for performing at a lower level. That's what this is all about really.

I agree with most of what you say except ‘holding the club to ransom’, that’s pretty poor I think. I can’t imagine Dave has been anything but reasonable in most contract negotiations and doubt he is earning a fortune. 

He is probably a lower spl/1st division wage earner and would most probably take a further slight drop. But if it’s not financially viable for him to take a drop of what we’re offering then that’s absolutely fair enough on his part. He’s made it clear he wants to stay  without making a fuss about it.  Unfortunately we’re not in the position to offer him what he’d like (and deserves). 

He goes with best wishes and total respect for what he did at the club. I hope he gets a good club down south and gets the coaching badges he wants as well.

• Agree 3

12 hours ago, RiG said:

This is exactly the kind of response the club will have been hoping to see from more fans. "Can't blame us at least we tried". Fact is that Raven has been treated pretty shoddily by the club for a long time now and to offer him a contract knowing full well it wasn't even close to what he was looking for is another insult as far as I'm concerned, a piece meal offering. They'd have been as well not offering him anything and just letting him go in January.

Not so much that. I think both the club knew and Raven knew from the off that we wouldn't offer terms similar to those he's on. The club have probably offered him a deal, decent in comparison to team mates, but a significant drop for him. Not ideal with a family etc. They probably knew he couldn't really accept. But, football wise would be handy to keep around if he would. 

It's not that different to what we did with Tokely. Offered new terms but terms that couldn't ever really be accepted. Good to have around but not to the point where the extra money couldn't be used more efficiently elsewhere.

• Agree 1

A very under-rated player. Easily one of the best defenders in Scottish football over the last 5 years. I suspect he's been overlooked by scouts and undervalued in contract negotiations due to his only weakness - looking 20 years older than he actually is. :laugh: 

Edited by AlexJones
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Sad 1

Cleary there is a plan to reduce the wage bill and the playing squad age. While signing Raven would be of benefit we probably cant afford it with there still be being some high earners and some hopeless jobbers brought in on long deal - oh and paying for a departed manager. Next up will be Warren, OFW to depart - possibly followed by Vigurs,. Polly & Tremarco. 

The concern is that while we could put Brad back into the RB slot, that then leaves an issue in CB otherwise we will need to hope one of the under-performers so far can step up to RB - which I haven't much faith in. 

Much like the turn over previously when we moved on Tokley, Munro etc, the time has come through circumstances to make sweeping changes so best to just accept it. Everyone associated with the cup squad will always be held in high regard for what they achieved no matter where they end up next. 

• Agree 2

By now that European large payment must have reduced the debt considerably. If that allows them to now start to save some money so much the better. However, I doubt that the Board can achieve that so the future is uncertain for sure. at the club will be able to slot in sooner rather than later.

Cents  please?

• Confused 1

On 01/12/2017 at 8:10 PM, Laurence said:

I would like to thank David personally for his commitment and service to the Caley Thistle club over the last few years . I wish him and his family all the very best for his future whatever that may bring.

Cheers David

Would reiterate that...who can blame him for knocking back a reduced deal...I thought he might go for it, but he is well within his rights not to.

All the best for whatever you do in the future, David - we will always remember THAT goal at Hampden!

See you at the anniversary dinner for the cup winning team in 2025!

• Like 1

Kinda reminds me of the early years of the TB era when stalwarts like Munro, Tokeley, Golabek, etc left...wasn't happy at the time, but I suppose the team needs rebuilding & is a work in progress.

Hope Coll Donaldson is offered an extended deal, as I believe he is only under contract until January? 

• Like 1