Scotty

2 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Perhaps Dumbarton did us a favour - lets just wait and see if there is a situation to compare this winter and again - feckin good on ya Robbo - speak yer feckin mind

They didnae do me a favour - that fekkin late winner screwed up my Naps league bet!!! :cry:

• Funny 2

When I heard about the eight hour delay, I feared the worst, but well done to all involved today.

Judging by the BBC text commentary, there was little between the teams, so if the travel had gone to plan, perhaps we would have sneaked it.

Two home games looming, let's hope we get two wins!

I drive the A9 twice a week on average, and the dualling progress seems far too slow.

• Funny 1

I hope we find out the reason for the Board of Q. of the S. to act as they have done.

It may be legal and acquiesced-to by the wonderful SFA, but clearly the element of compassion and common sense is entirely lacking on both parties.

Was it therefore money that motivated Q of the S? Or WHAT? 

Of course the situations with Rangers and Celtic  need not be used as a comparison because when dealing with these two pampered clubs we all know that their interests, at all times, are  first and foremost in the minds of  the SFA and a few others. I'll bet your bottom dollar that had any one of these two clubs been involved instead of ICT, the request for a postponement in these circumstances would have been granted by all at the drop of a hat.

And, lest we forget,  ICT have been the daring upstarts who  had the will and the way, against all odds, to take the Scottish Cup away from more deserving clubs don't you know?  If more people like John spoke out like he did  there would be less  crappy behaviour in the world, and more kindness and consideration and more happiness. 

As for John Robertson, to be perfectly frank I think in view of the terrible ordeal the whole team had to suffer in so many ways he was remarkably restrained.

He stuck to the facts and did not introduce hyperbolic histrionics. He just told it how it was and well done for speaking out John, I say. You have my vote anyway.:notworthy:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

I hope we find out the reason for the Board of Q. of the S. to act as they have done.

Scarlet... I think the major factor here is the SPFL, through Ian Blair, refusing the request for the postponement. I am not clear as to whether Blair at any point left it to the two clubs to decide, but if so, he is merely acting as a latter day Pontius Pilate.

For me, the defining quote was what Robbo said in the last answer in his interview on Sportsound with Richard Gordon just before 2:30 where he pointed out that this request had been refused while Rangers and Celtic are free to get postponements simply in order to organise lucrative early season friendlies.

If ever further confirmation was needed that Scottish football is being run for the benefit of two clubs - and in consequence failing - this is it.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, jed5697 said:

Team are out in Newcastle tonight for a bit of r & r. I hope they have a great night. Well done today in the circumstances. Team spirit is thriving and long may it continue. 

Yes and obviously making up for being deprived of food and liquid during yesterday`s traffic delay. A long enough journey without what happened.

I also agree with Robert's comment above about the A9 dualling taking too long. I can't see it being completed in 2025 despite what Scottish Ministers believe.

• Funny 1

Don't think anyone who's had to work for a living would be very sympathetic to Robbo's argument for having the match postponed.

I think it's more likely a bit of psychology.

Anyway, Robbo as manager continues to impress. I don't think promotion is out of the question yet!

• Agree 2

In my previous job and current job if I don't get mandatory 12 hour rest between shifts by law I am deemed unfit to commence my shift on safety grounds (fatigue). So I completely understand why he's asked for the postponemt you can't be expected to produce your best performance after a 14 hour journey insufficient rest and insuffiecent food and fluid intake. The body just won't work as it's intended to it's basic physiology. In both Robbos pre and post match interviews he clearly says Ian Blair asked the question of Queens about postponing and their chairman refusing the request. Queens are just as culpable for the farce yesterday as much as the SPFL. 

Edited by MorayJaggie
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

Calling all anoraks - Are there any clauses in the "rule books" that we could have cited as formal reasons to postpone the game. I cant ever recall a game being called off in such circumstances. I have however seen games kicking off late because the away team has got stuck in traffic. What would have happened if we had travelled in the early hours of Saturday and cam across the RTA scenario ?

• Facepalm 1

22 hours ago, Yngwie said:

Terrible preparation, but I would tend to agree that it is not sufficient grounds for postponement. I think we would be up in arms if one of our home games was called off because the visiting team didn't get their intended sleep and nutrition the day before.

Hopefully the adversity galvanises the team even more.

21 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Agreed. Given our very limited redourses, leaving at lunch time the day before with a view to staying overnight in Dumfries is excellent preparation.

The fact that there seems to have been a very serious road traffic accident puts a game of football into perspective.

On balance, I think that the SPFL have made the right decision. The circumstances, though far from ideal, do not justify a postponement.

Seen games postponed for far less. Not sure anyone should be expected to work without any sleep, food or water and in what was probably not very warm conditions.

Maybe we should have arranged a glamour friendly against Kingussie High school and used that to call the game off.

Also another point. Presume there was only one bus driver. Would it not have been a risk for the amount of time they can spend at the wheel?

QotS clearly caring about the money spent rather than others welfare. And the SPFL showing their typical impotence and incompetence .

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Calling all anoraks - Are there any clauses in the "rule books" that we could have cited as formal reasons to postpone the game. I cant ever recall a game being called off in such circumstances. I have however seen games kicking off late because the away team has got stuck in traffic. What would have happened if we had travelled in the early hours of Saturday and cam across the RTA scenario ?

SPFL Rules 1690 (d) and 1967 (c) state that games may only be called off by reason of road traffic accidents if the accident in question is on Paisley Road West or London Road.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

11 hours ago, buckett said:

Don't think anyone who's had to work for a living would be very sympathetic to Robbo's argument for having the match postponed.

I don't think that's a valid comparison. There are two issues here. Firstly, this is performance sport and performance sports people are entitled to expect a programmed preparation for competition. If that is not achieved, then performance levels can be badly affected. This may not apply in the Welfare League but it does here. And secondly, there are potentially large financial consequences riding on the outcome of the game in question. The points gained or lost in this encounter can have a big influence - in theory one which could last for years. You can certainly debate the relative merits of postponement and the disruption it would cause, but Robbo is merely acting in the professional manner expected at this level of sport.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, Charles Bannerman said:

I don't think that's a valid comparison. There are two issues here. Firstly, this is performance sport and performance sports people are entitled to expect a programmed preparation for competition. If that is not achieved, then performance levels can be badly affected. This may not apply in the Welfare League but it does here. And secondly, there are potentially large financial consequences riding on the outcome of the game in question. The points gained or lost in this encounter can have a big influence - in theory one which could last for years. You can certainly debate the relative merits of postponement and the disruption it would cause, but Robbo is merely acting in the professional manner expected at this level of sport.

And yes, I fully agree with you Charles - can't fault your post at all!

However, I was taking the point of view of someone (who works hard for a living!!!) who turns up for the match at Dumfries and finds the game is postponed because the players didn't get to bed till 3 in the morning.

Pretty pssd off, I would be!!

8 hours ago, AncientMariner said:

Bizarre comment, unless you care to explain?

There's something about the tone of some posts which suggests the poster has the word "ergo" in their vocabulary.

And that is the biggest crime of all!!!

Dull, dull game. Looked like we had a good claim for a penalty in the second half but we created precious little for most of the game in keeping with the last few weeks sadly. Whilst we look much more solid ta the back and won't concede often we are not scoring many goals at all. Bell and Baird are our best combination up front but unless we can try and play balls in behind the last man or over the top for them to chase we see to struggle to create many openings for them. Too often crosses were floated high into the air for them to challenge for rather than fizzing a low ball across the goal. Given that they were dwarfed by the Queens defenders those high balls almost never led to anything.

Oakley is a useful option off the bench but I don't see any of these guys getting the goals regularly enough to really fire us towards the top of the table. On the plus side Donaldson and Mckay kept things very tight at the back and Raven along with Tremarco offered decent support down the flanks. Vigurs took a long time to come into the game with a number of slack passes in the first half and a seeming reluctance to rectify his errors by winning the ball back.

Supporters bar was really good, very warm and friendly atmosphere. No pies by half time though which was ridiculous and they didn't even have steak pies which should see them docked points :laugh:

Edited by RiG
  • Like 1

But no one seems to be deeply considering the emotional effect of staring at a totally smashed up car with severely injured passengers inside or at least in the process of being , or  having been, carted off to  hospital. The effect  can affect-- deeply .

That kind of scene can make your blood run cold. It puts into bright perspective how fragile life and limb really is and reminds us of our mortality.  This is especially true when one is physically very tired. Which,  in turn, can deeply affect concentration with the tension in the mind translating into tension in the body that otherwise would not exist and that can affect performance  and timing radically.

The whole scene cynically suggests that is about money, as I have previously mentioned, The club is suggesting that the fans of Q of the S. who could not wait for even one or two more days to play the game? Pathetic;  because we all know it probably was not a decision that the Q o S fans would likely have taken for themselves--- otherwise we may as well authorise and legalise kicking below the belt as a way of winning as well. Right?

In any arena of competition it is rational to suppose that each team should be given the consideration and  availability of strutting out onto the field of play in an emotional and physical state of health that is  reasonably good, AND MATCHES THAT OF THE OPPOSITION.  Otherwise a team like ICT entering the arena at that time is at a very serious disadvantage,  which is hardly fair or sportsmanlike is it? 

Which suggests that the question that John R was hinting at is, therefore, " How far can we go with this attitude without all the joy being  taken out of our game?"    Right on, Manager John.  The whole situation shows  a lack of consideration and self-interest trumping all else. :redcard: 

Oh, and Charlie.

That post above of yours referring to the London road etc. is just a beautiful one.   Had me convulsed.  And spilt my coffee on the chaise longue....

P. S.  I like you better today than maybe the day before so  it'''''''s onward and upward.:wave:

10 hours ago, MorayJaggie said:

In my previous job and current job if I don't get mandatory 12 hour rest between shifts by law I am deemed unfit to commence my shift on safety grounds (fatigue). So I completely understand why he's asked for the postponemt you can't be expected to produce your best performance after a 14 hour journey insufficient rest and insuffiecent food and fluid intake. The body just won't work as it's intended to it's basic physiology. In both Robbos pre and post match interviews he clearly says Ian Blair asked the question of Queens about postponing and their chairman refusing the request. Queens are just as culpable for the farce yesterday as much as the SPFL. 

As far as I'm aware footballers do not have to operate dangerous plant or machinery.

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic