Highland Derbies Next Season

MorayJaggie

1 hour ago, Charles Bannerman said:

It all keeps coming back to that root cause of Scotland's failure, after 500 years, to come to terms with the Reformation.

Aye, that Martin Luther, just a trouble-maker. :redcard:   If it wasn't for him, then the Highlands would today be able to support two top-flight football teams.

I'm no more a historian than Charles, but I thought that the Reformation went fairly smoothly in Scotland, with Presbyterianism gaining the upper hand quite quickly. It was the influx of Irish Catholic immigrants into Glasgow about 300 years later which kicked off the sectarianism that we still have today. Rangers and Celtic were formed in the midst of this, at a time when Glasgow was by far the most populous and powerful city in Scotland - the "second city of the British Empire" - so it's hardly a surprise that they came to dominate the scene.

19 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Aye, that Martin Luther, just a trouble-maker. :redcard:   If it wasn't for him, then the Highlands would today be able to support two top-flight football teams.

I'm no more a historian than Charles, but I thought that the Reformation went fairly smoothly in Scotland, with Presbyterianism gaining the upper hand quite quickly. It was the influx of Irish Catholic immigrants into Glasgow about 300 years later which kicked off the sectarianism that we still have today. Rangers and Celtic were formed in the midst of this, at a time when Glasgow was by far the most populous and powerful city in Scotland - the "second city of the British Empire" - so it's hardly a surprise that they came to dominate the scene.

It's quite clear that these Protestant and Catholic communities can no more peacefully coexist in West Central Scotland than they can in Northern Ireland. Without going into historical detail, I would find it difficult to describe 60 years of Jacobite rebellions as the Reformation going "fairly smoothly". Then, after that, you have the continuing marginalisation of the Highlands by the central belt which, in football terms, left the Highlands outwith the SFL until 1994, hence adding in all the disadvantages of a very belated start.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

10 minutes ago, Charles Bannerman said:

I would find it difficult to describe 60 years of Jacobite rebellions as the Reformation going "fairly smoothly".

All kicked off by the restoration of the monarchy. Yes I know that they were Catholic vs Protestant, but they were mainly about power and dynasty, not religion.

We're way off-topic - I'll stop now   :wave:

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

We're way off-topic - I'll stop now   :wave:

More importantly, there are two positive about away matches over the bridge;

1 - The haggis pies are delicious.

2 - Getting to laugh at the Jail End stand, which is the same size as the Subbuteo one I had in my bedroom as a kid. 

:ictscarf:

7 hours ago, Caman said:

More importantly, there are two positive about away matches over the bridge;

1 - The haggis pies are delicious.

2 - Getting to laugh at the Jail End stand, which is the same size as the Subbuteo one I had in my bedroom as a kid. 

:ictscarf:

Given our 'West Stand', I honestly think you should stop throwing stones from our glass house.

2 hours ago, Charles Bannerman said:

A wise and measured response to a comment straight out of the "Pride of the Highlands" and "Always in our shadow" stable.

I apologise for some light hearted banter. :cry:

57 minutes ago, Charles Bannerman said:

There is only one thing that's worse than hubris...... misplaced hubris laced with irony.

I also apologise for some light hearted hubris as well. :whoosh:

32 minutes ago, ictchris said:

the way things are going our Highland derby next season will be with Peterhead.

Agreed. Dismal indeed. 

I think it started around the 12/13 season when we were facing each other in the top flight for the first time. We also had El Kessecko around that time as well which I thought was decent but Cold Firm? Nah.

How could this season NOT be classed as a rebuilding exercise! Totally different scenario to the last relegation....new manager, badly depleted squad, very tight budget (player coming in were on about 25% of the pay of the top earners in premeir days, allegedly), boardroom turmoil. Last time, TB had already started rebuilding before we went down

Totally unrealistic to expect a quick fire return to the top flight, I feel - expecting a serious promotion push next season though.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

On 24/02/2018 at 8:01 PM, forresjags said:

FFS are you for real .

The dizzy heights of winning the Scottish Cup and competing with the likes of Aberdeen and Celtic on a regular basis but you would sooner see us being spanked at home by Morton and struggling in the Championship.

We aren't the same team - just the badge & a couple of the players. Rebuilding in progress!

13 hours ago, jingsmonty said:

We aren't the same team - just the badge & a couple of the players. Rebuilding in progress!

aye, but it seems we are missing at least one brick. proven goalscorers are difficult to come by. 

• 1 month later...

Another step closer to these returning.

Come on the Weedgie Jags, especially on Friday 4th May. :clapoverhead:

RC v Dundee on Tuesday 8th May might be worth going to. As a neutral of course. Lol. 

Edited by Guest

53 minutes ago, ferben1994 said:

Only thing I've seen is some lad on p and b saying he had heard there would be an announcement next week that would leave the fans apoplectic.

Yip, Robbo is leaving and Craig Brewster is coming back for a third spell !

• Funny 2