Highland Derbies Next Season

MorayJaggie

1 hour ago, ferben1994 said:

Only thing I've seen is some lad on p and b saying he had heard there would be an announcement next week that would leave the fans apoplectic.

5 year contract extension for John Baird, making him our highest paid player ever.

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 8:22 PM, Caman said:

Another step closer to these returning.

Come on the Weedgie Jags, especially on Friday 4th May. :clapoverhead:

RC v Dundee on Tuesday 8th May might be worth going to. As a neutral of course. Lol. 

Why are you so excited to see RC get relegated or fail? There's no logic to it at all - its detrimental to the local economy for both Dingwall & Inverness as both home & travelling fans spend money in either location including over night stays. The media coverage keeps the Highlands promoted, even if it is limited- but most of all cements and justifies why Highland teams and Highland League teams are still capable of competing in the professional leagues - even at the highest level. While I am not a County fan and would never get excited about them doing well, or even justify the business model Roy has put in place along with his personal cash, I do recognise the input into youth development facilities and the standards or players & manager he has tried (with limited success) to bring into the area. 

With at least one Highland team in the Premiership it allows higher profile players which like it or not the other club can at times feed off - 'rejects' as some may classify but often successes that cross the 'divide'. While the derby would be great to have back, I think all agree it would be much more beneficial for all concerned and the wider economy & community if it was in the Premiership. 

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 4

Maybe the wider economy and community should have learned a lesson from the last time we were relegated and they were all crying about the impact....when many had done little to support the club themselves over the years to and since that point.

Amazing how people seldom appreciate what they have....until it's gone.

• Agree 5

There is also the question of how having County drop into the Championship might affect our chances of promotion next season.  If County drop down it will be very interesting to see how that will impact on Uncle Roy's benevolence.  He will know that to get back into the Premiership he will have to further increase his spending.  He will also know that with The Rangers, Hibs and Hearts all back in the top 6 he is never likely to emulate ICT's Cup victory or best ever league position.  Being in the Premiership would therefore be a constant battle to avoid relegation.  He might, therefore decide to ease off on his investment.  I don't see him pulling the plug but I do think it likely that he would cap his spending and let the club find it's level with that.  Even at this reduced level of financial support County would be significantly better financed than ICT and would be there or thereabouts for promotion next season.  If he decided to increase his spending then they would be favourites for an immediate return. If we are realistic about looking for promotion next season, then I would rather have  Hamilton and/or Partick in the Championship.

• Agree 3

MacGregor is utterly obsessed with besting ICT. If County were to be relegated you can be sure that he would back them as much as would be required to get back into the Premiership. The only way I could ever see him reducing his financial input would be if they went through a sustained period in the Championship without success. There were would only be so long he could continue to write off loans whilst at that level.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, RiG said:

MacGregor is utterly obsessed with besting ICT. If County were to be relegated you can be sure that he would back them as much as would be required to get back into the Premiership. The only way I could ever see him reducing his financial input would be if they went through a sustained period in the Championship without success. There were would only be so long he could continue to write off loans whilst at that level.

There's been widespread chat about him setting up for a withdrawal....he's as good as said so himself.  He's essentially been writing off large loans the last few years which have been for stadium development work and when interviewed on it said it's all about getting the clubs infrastructure in good shape for passing it on to whoever runs things after him.

I'm not sure he could do that off the back of a relegation, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

• Agree 1

Id say most of us would like to see derbies back next season. I miss the craic tbh and the Mallard. Also the club must miss the gate receipts etc 

On a more serious note it must be deterimental to ICT to have our nearest neighbours in the league above us when we are competing in the same small pond for sponsorship, hospitality etc. Therefore County being relegated has to be good for us? 

• Agree 4

55 minutes ago, old caley girl said:

Id say most of us would like to see derbies back next season. I miss the craic tbh and the Mallard. Also the club must miss the gate receipts etc 

On a more serious note it must be deterimental to ICT to have our nearest neighbours in the league above us when we are competing in the same small pond for sponsorship, hospitality etc. Therefore County being relegated has to be good for us? 

I am too scared to make a comment on this. :whoosh:

2 hours ago, old caley girl said:

Agreed, though I don't know how much of an away gate we make off them as they oddly seem to always bring a pish support. 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, old caley girl said:

Home gate does swell though Fraz? 

Yeah that's true. Guess County fans don't turn up unless Uncle Roy's subsidising the tickets or travel. 

• Funny 2

5 hours ago, old caley girl said:

Nail, head etc etc :clapoverhead:

Roy MacGregor has very likely made a wise decision in making Kettlewell and Ferguson permanent in their roles.

With them being in place 'early doors' and knowing where they are at players wise, albeit not which league they will be in next season, they can start planning now. Not an advantage we had at the start of this season. That's a big difference I would say. 

PS - Still hope they go down. Oops, couldn't help myself :lol:

The rest of the league will be so happy if County follow ICT into the championship.  No more trips up to play those upstarts from the Highlands, and they will think that the natural order of the central belt has been restored now that St Mirren are back. It would be nice for us to have a closer derby next season instead of lasts at Brechin! If County don't go down, where will our derby be?