Highland Derbies Next Season

MorayJaggie

On 30/04/2018 at 5:48 PM, old caley girl said:

Id say most of us would like to see derbies back next season. I miss the craic tbh and the Mallard. Also the club must miss the gate receipts etc 

On a more serious note it must be deterimental to ICT to have our nearest neighbours in the league above us when we are competing in the same small pond for sponsorship, hospitality etc. Therefore County being relegated has to be good for us? 

I dunno bout that they've got the finances providing Roy stays to keep the squad together and probably romp

the division would rather meet them back in the prem defo be easier to win the league with a skint Patrick in it!

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Alan Simpson said:

I dunno bout that they've got the finances providing Roy stays to keep the squad together and probably romp

the division would rather meet them back in the prem defo be easier to win the league with a skint Patrick in it!

I think youve misread my post? 

17 minutes ago, old caley girl said:

I think youve misread my post? 

Ye no doubts was at the back of the line when brains were handed out! I get the cash wev lost without them short term thinking that tho be a stronger championship with them in it moneybags compared to Patrick fully expecting a title charge nxt season would rather see to County after that #intheprem!

• Funny 1

20 minutes ago, CaleyD said:

Partick Thistle are not short of someone to throw money at them either with the Weirs.

Yep. Think they have spent/donated £4 million to Partick for a new training complex. Hardly a skint club lol. 

On 01/05/2018 at 11:28 AM, Jaggernaut said:

The rest of the league will be so happy if County follow ICT into the championship.  No more trips up to play those upstarts from the Highlands, and they will think that the natural order of the central belt has been restored now that St Mirren are back. It would be nice for us to have a closer derby next season instead of lasts at Brechin! If County don't go down, where will our derby be?

Probably Dundee Utd, if they don't go up & Dundee don't go down...think that's the closest? 

Possibly Raith Rovers if they get promoted - I know that (assuming Dunfermline are still in the Championship next season) there would be 2 Fife clubs, but would assume Dunfermline v Falkirk would be ther derby game for The Pars?

A lot of ifs & buts there!! Haven't even thought about Partick or Hamilton...bad memories of New Douglas Park (apart from the trampoline pitch) - been twice, Dean Brill got strechered off the 1st time & 2nd time was the 3-0 game last Jan...??

• Agree 1

That's Dundee safe now after beating Hamilton.

Hamilton still in the 'danger zone', but they are veterans of last minute escapes.

Will Dundee take it easy on Tuesday night against RC now they are safe, or will they keep trying to catch St Johnstone for 8th place and a few extra quid?  

1 hour ago, Caman said:

That's Dundee safe now after beating Hamilton.

Will Dundee take it easy on Tuesday night against RC now they are safe, or will they keep trying to catch St Johnstone for 8th place and a few extra quid?  

Dundee are safe from automatic relegation , however they are not mathematically safe from the play-off spot. Granted Dundee have a better goal difference by 9 in relation to Partick, but they still have to play Partick so every goal Partick scored against them would effectively count as two. However Tuesday night is when they can seal their Premiership status so I dont think they will be taking the foot of the gas. 

2 hours ago, Caledonianfc1885 said:

Dundee are safe from automatic relegation , however they are not mathematically safe from the play-off spot. Granted Dundee have a better goal difference by 9 in relation to Partick, but they still have to play Partick so every goal Partick scored against them would effectively count as two. However Tuesday night is when they can seal their Premiership status so I dont think they will be taking the foot of the gas. 

That's the way I'm looking at it. Across their own and Partick's last two games Dundee would have to lose both while Partick would have to win both and also turn round a goal difference of nine, albeit with goals counting double when they met each other. And I think (pedant alert!!) nine would do it since, although Partick have fewer goals scored than Dundee, they wouldn't if they turned round a difference of nine, hence rendering a tenth unnecessary.

One concern for County on Tuesday night might therefore be that there is an incentive for this to be the game where Dundee become absolutely belt and braces (or pehs and bradies if you like.)

Edited by Charles Bannerman

I was out in the garden a while ago and heard a strange loud noise coming from the north and then realised it was coming from all the squeaky bums in Dingwall :lol: 

• Funny 1

On 5/5/2018 at 6:11 PM, Charles Bannerman said:

One concern for County on Tuesday night might therefore be that there is an incentive for this to be the game where Dundee become absolutely belt and braces (or pehs and bradies if you like.)

Thats Dundee now  absolutely belt and braces (or pehs and bradies). Interesting weekend of football ahead for Partick and County - down to the wire for automatic relegation !!!! 

Could counter than with an impressive Hibs and much improved Killie. A few people on here were praising Roy for wielding the axe early on McIntyre. Comparing it with our situation of sticking with Foran. Impossible to say in hindsight but swinging so early may have cost them dearly. 3/4 managers in one season can't be good for players. 

We actually did well to get a fee for draper. Whilst he would have improved our team, it wouldn't have been enough to get us promoted. He is on his last legs and I cant see County managing to recoup any money on him. I would fancy Polly to give him a good run around next season.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, Stirling Observer said:

Could counter than with an impressive Hibs and much improved Killie. A few people on here were praising Roy for wielding the axe early on McIntyre. Comparing it with our situation of sticking with Foran. Impossible to say in hindsight but swinging so early may have cost them dearly. 3/4 managers in one season can't be good for players. 

Can't say whether binning McIntyre was right (it was, according to a County fan at work), but they definetly shouldn't have appointed Coyle....

Draining the swamp -  most of Ross County's players are out of contract at the season end. Even contracted players such as Billy on £125k per annum are unlikely to be too excited if they get big pay cuts. The chances of them beating St Johnstone away this Saturday are as likely as CountyAir being granted a trading licence to fly out of Tain International Airport. 

I have a feeling Livingston will triumph over Dundee United and then beat Partick. Next year's Championship will be very competitive and it would be nice if we can harvest much needed points off County.

Yes, if the County go down we'll have the Highland derbies back again which might be a good thing in the short term where revenues for a few matches are concerned. Not a good thing for football in the Highlands as it makes both ICT and County look like teams who lack the strength in depth to sustain their status in the SPL year after year, even though we came creditably close to the play-offs this season. We'll see what happens on Saturday but I feel getting out of the Championship and back into the SPL will be a pretty tough call again.

• Agree 1