Highland Derbies Next Season

MorayJaggie

Now that County's fate has been sealed, I have mixed emotions. I am, of course, pleased that they are no longer able to Lord it over us from a higher status, I am pleased to have the local rivalry and income from the derbies. I am happy that we can now compete with them for local commercial income and floating fans on an equal footing and I am happy that they are no longer in such a commanding position to poach our best players.

However, as I alluded to on another thread, I am sad that there is no longer Highland representation in the top tier after, one season aside, a decade and a half.

No doubt the football authorities and the inarticulate Weegie pundits so beloved of Radio Scotland will consider the natural order to be restored. I sincerely hope that we prove them wrong as early as next season and that County do likewise and join us up there again but ideally two or three later.

• Agree 4

Even more reason for our fans to get behind the team next season. Grab a season ticket, get along to some more games, buy the new strip do whatever you can to get behind the team and help them get back to the Premiership scudding County along the way :ictscarf:

• Agree 12

On 5/9/2018 at 1:25 PM, Eagle4Caley said:

For once I feel better that the English aren't to blame for everything

Anyway .... When I was up recently with my wife, we took the train to the Kyle of Lochalsh as a day trip, and of course when past Dingwall and RC's ground, it was a nice sunny day and Dingwall looked quite pleasant, so when I noted to my wife over the weekend that RC might be coming down to the Championship she said that it would be a good match to go to (see... she's hooked now as well!)   

..........But not in the middle of winter

I picked my wife up from a local station just now and told her County were down....she cheered!

Supporting Caley is clearly infectious

• Funny 3

55 minutes ago, cif73 said:

IMG_20180512_170531.jpg

Trying to think how many seasons County finished above us in the grand scheme of things.

They were well ahead of us at the end of our first season in the Scottish League, and of course this season and last season.

That's 3. I've a feeling there was one more, round about 2012?

So I suppose you could say they were the 'Big Team'  for four years! Or was it just 3?

1 hour ago, buckett said:

Trying to think how many seasons County finished above us in the grand scheme of things.

They were well ahead of us at the end of our first season in the Scottish League, and of course this season and last season.

That's 3. I've a feeling there was one more, round about 2012?

So I suppose you could say they were the 'Big Team'  for four years! Or was it just 3?

They weren't in the Premier in 2011-12 but came up as champions. The next season we beat them into 4th place by a point. They scraped 6th though in 15-16 while we scooshed the bottom 6 and finished 7th with more points. So last 3 seasons running plus 94-95 is the answer.

They've managed 6 seasons on the bounce in the top tier while we managed 5 then 7.

Edited by TheMantis

Well, it will spice things up nicely next season. Will be interesting to see how they manage restructuring, and if they have to rebuild as much as we did. Of course they will have more money, but that didn't help them stay up. I think they were too quick to get rid of McIntyre, who I feel would have been far more likely to keep them up. Coyle was as bad as Foran for them, and as bad a decision. The two novices will have a hard time next season, if they stay there, methinks. I do have some sympathy for people like our old stalwart Draper who have now played for relegated teams twice in a row. A lot of difficult decisions to be made there, glad we have that behind us.

Presumably N’Gog will be on the lookout for some other mugs to pay him a fortune to contribute very little. One goal in his 5 months is an abysmal return for a 28 year old striker ex of PSG and Liverpool and must make for an eye watering cost per goal!

• Funny 1

41 minutes ago, The Long Man said:

Well, it will spice things up nicely next season. Will be interesting to see how they manage restructuring, and if they have to rebuild as much as we did. Of course they will have more money, but that didn't help them stay up. I think they were too quick to get rid of McIntyre, who I feel would have been far more likely to keep them up. Coyle was as bad as Foran for them, and as bad a decision. The two novices will have a hard time next season, if they stay there, methinks. I do have some sympathy for people like our old stalwart Draper who have now played for relegated teams twice in a row. A lot of difficult decisions to be made there, glad we have that behind us.

What about Billy Mackay ? 4 seasons, 4 different teams, 4 relegations!!!!!!!        Feck them    Macgregor and his wasted millions.  

Just now, caley100 said:

What about Billy Mackay ? 4 seasons, 4 different teams, 4 relegations!!!!!!!        Feck them    Macgregor and his wasted millions.  

Well done, you got the small "k"......but it's Mc, not Mac ?

• Facepalm 1

We all knew Dundee with nothing to play for would like down for Partick. You have to feel for County. Such a shame, a real shame. I just hope their rookie management team and overpaid mercenary dud squad don't succumb to 2 successive relegations. That would be absolutely awful.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Are you ready, are you ready?
Are you ready, are you ready?
Are you ready to follow ICT for life?
It's time again to stand up and fight
It's alright it's alright
Hand in hand we can face the caravan dwellers in Tinkerland
One by one we gonna stand up with pride
One that can't be denied
Stand up, stand up
From the Mallard to the Jail End below
We'll all join together with memories of old
Now the Young Team of Sneck can see
There's a better place for us to be
The place in which we have stormed oft before
So neglected, torn apart and poor
Every Jeggie and Caley man
JOIN THE CARAVAN OF LOVE 2018-2019

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, AlexJones said:

We all knew Dundee with nothing to play for would like down for Partick. You have to laugh your head off at County. Such a shame, not!! I just hope their rookie management team and overpaid mercenary dud squad succumb to 2 successive relegations. That would be absolutely fantastic. 

That reads better now!! ?

7 minutes ago, ictewd said:

Maybe next season we will see some fine young talent from the much heralded 'Academy', when we visit Dungwall, 

You have been on the drink again :lol:

3 hours ago, caley100 said:

Rumours about Billy going to Hibs next season. So if Lennon quits too that will be them doomed to return to the Championship.?

• Funny 1

On 5/9/2018 at 10:56 AM, Kingsmills said:

Maybe he feels, like I do, that it is refreshing to have Highland representation in the top tier of our national game after a century of almost half the land mass of the country being excluded from the national league system.

If, as now seems increasingly likely, County are relegated on Saturday, the Premiership will once more, with the exception of the Dons, become an exclusive Central Belt club.

As a native Highlander, I find that very disappointing.

It's a double edged sword, that one...I totally agree that it's bad for Highland football for us not to have representation in the Premier League...a lot of Central Belt pundits seem to think Inverness & Dingwall is somewhere North of the Artic Circle! It made me laugh when various managers moaned about the 'long trip North'...I understand Robbo wanting County to stay up (even if I don't entirely agree). Good point also about not wanting Inverness kids aspiring to play 'across the bridge' too.

However....it will be good to have the Highland Derbies back & it's karma for the slagging we had to put up withblast season!

Never mind, sure Uncle Roy will open his seemingly limitless cheque book to win promotion...

Ideal scenario next season...we win the league & County make the play offs...!

13 hours ago, The Long Man said:

Billy McKay now relegated 4 seasons in a row too...

On 5/9/2018 at 10:45 AM, CaleyD said:

There is absolutely no scenario where having Ross County in a league above us is a positive for ICTFC.

The ideal situation would have been for us to have made the step up again, but that didn't happen and I found it quite bizarre that Robbo was in the courier yesterday championing County and hoping they remain in the Premiership.

I get where Robbo is coming from, in terms of foootball in the Highlands, but get where you're coming from too...