Sign in to follow this  
MorayJaggie

Highland Derbies Next Season

15 hours ago, TheMantis said:

They weren't in the Premier in 2011-12 but came up as champions. The next season we beat them into 4th place by a point. They scraped 6th though in 15-16 while we scooshed the bottom 6 and finished 7th with more points. So last 3 seasons running plus 94-95 is the answer.

They've managed 6 seasons on the bounce in the top tier while we managed 5 then 7.

There was also season 2001-02 in the First Division where County were fourth with 52 points and ICT 6th with 48 points.

Highland Derbies? Yes, they may appear to be some minor compensation for the Highlands totally losing Premiership status in a period of just 12 months. BUT, to be realistic, latterly these derbies were very much a declining attraction. They just didn't seem to have the charisma of the earlier years and crowds, which determine income, had declined into the 3000 bracket compared with over 5000 in Division 3, and indeed 4950 in the very last derby at Telford Street in 1996. From an ICT point of view it should maybe also be remembered that the attendance of Ross County fans at derbies in Inverness latterly became very thin indeed.

(Collectively rather than individually, I mean. 😃)

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 2

Mixed feelings regarding County's relegation.

Having zero Highland clubs in the top tier of Scottish football isn't great for many reasons.

It does however, give us some respite from their fans gloating and from having the upper hand in attracting some players. Though they may still hold that advantage with financial clout. They will have parachute payment + Celtic Euros alongside McGregors bucks. Although strong and reputable chatter about Roy's diminishing involvement both as Chair + financially over the next few seasons should concern the Staggies ranks.

I  believe Vigurs options may now have been curtailed. With County out of top Division + D Utd also resigned to life in the Championship those options look less attractive. Does that increase our chances of keeping him? I certainly hope so, fantastic player for us. Dunfermline still in the hunt and further afield the torn faced bitter one and his dad wants him at Plymouth, whilst an SPL club reported to be sniffing too. Is his agent playing with a straight deck, possibly not.

I do think, despite getting rid of McIntyre prematurely ( not Dodds though - he's a wee clown ), they boobed badly in going for the 'bling' of Coyle but have fallen on their feet with Kettlewell and in part, Ferguson, but I am of the opinion , it is Kettlewell as boss, Ferguson as assistant. Not sure why it's labelled as a joint management duo. They do have a more robust and a more joined up thinking type off infrastructure behind the scenes and it is resourced well. 

I look forward to the El Kessocko's being highlighted on our fixture list next season.

Development of the areas around our stadium could be extremely vital to what kind of future we have as a Club.

Interesting......intriguing,... most certainly!

• Agree 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

This phottie is bound to elicit mixed emotions from most posters - in my case happiness and gloating.

Ross County players applaud their fans

Especially in Drapers case, will never forget that smug look the first night he was at County. Bet he thought he'd made a great escape 😂

On 5/9/2018 at 11:07 AM, Charles Bannerman said:

That is a very important consideration. For decades, there were instances such as Jack Steedman of Clydebank declaring that the Highlands would get into the SFL "over (my) dead body" and the complete scandal of 1973 when Inverness Thistle were kept out by a single vote by an Edinburgh works team called Ferranti Thistle, now aka Livingston. Then in the summer of 2004, look at the extended efforts that Ken Mackie and his colleagues had to go to in order to achieve a change to the protectionist "SPL Rules" (such as the nonsensical "10,000 seats") so the First Division champions and hence the Highlands could be granted top flight status.

I really am doing my best to stop turning this into a rant :lol: but then on ICT's SPL debut, you had the likes of Hugh Keevins telling his readers that the team couldn't score and couldn't defend and Graeme Spiers declaring that he would eat his hat if Caley Thistle survived.

The central belt treatment of Highland football is simply an allegory of the manner in which the Highlands have been treated by the rest of Scotland for centuries and it would therefore be a very bad thing indeed if the Highlands were to lose its hard fought for Premiership presence after 14 years.

😂😂😂

Safe to say the 'Parochial Wee Mannie' trophy won't be leaving your mantelpiece any time soon Chip Charles.

• Funny 2

I look forward to the derbies next season.

My focus is on positive performances and beating them.

Not on what 'rejects' of ours is lining up against us!! 🤣

Having said that, it's looking like we had the best out of those 'rejects' who are at RC. They all seem to have struggled this season, are another year older and will be down as being part of another relegation. Plus maybe their balance has been affected with getting a 6th finger sewn onto each hand!! 😁

Edited by Caman
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Caman said:

I look forward to the derbies next season.

My focus is on positive performances and beating them.

Not on what 'rejects' of ours is lining up against us!! 🤣

Having said that, it's looking like we had the best out of those 'rejects' who are at RC. They all seem to have struggled this season, are another year older and will be down as being part of another relegation. Plus maybe their balance has been affected with getting a 6th finger sewn onto each hand!! 😁

I agree that McKay and Draper are past their best and that Tansey is not the player he once was. Vigurs, on the other hand, is in his prime and I would be much more disappointed to see him in a County shirt than any of the others. Let's hope he goes for the option of long term security rather than a short term cash boost 

• Agree 2

The whole "rejects" thing is as laughable as the "County in the Premiership was good for Highland football" and "We don't miss the Premiership" bahollocks being spouted on here.

Not one of those players we wouldn't have happily kept...and/or wouldn't have back.  Not one of them wasn't made an offer to stay.

Like it or not, they rejected us....not the other way round.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 3
  • Facepalm 3

Anyone caught calling the Highland Derby 'El Kessocko' should face prison time.

• Disagree 1

Just now, Renegade said:

Seconded.

Add "Cold Firm" to the list as well.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, CaleyD said:

Seconded.

Add "Cold Firm" to the list as well.

That one's even worse.

• Agree 2

Almost bad as the naff "Pride of the Highlands" on the official club crest.

• Agree 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, CaleyD said:

The whole "rejects" thing is as laughable as the "County in the Premiership was good for Highland football" and "We don't miss the Premiership" bahollocks being spouted on here.

Not one of those players we wouldn't have happily kept...and/or wouldn't have back.  Not one of them wasn't made an offer to stay.

Like it or not, they rejected us....not the other way round.

CaleyD, regarding 'rejects' I thought you would have got my sarcasm. Lol.

• Agree 1

Just now, Caman said:

CaleyD, regarding 'rejects' I thought you would have got my sarcasm. Lol.

You're not the only one to have made the reference...sarcastically or otherwise. My view was a reflection of a wider river of BS that inevitably appears during silly season.

1 hour ago, CaleyD said:

You're not the only one to have made the reference...sarcastically or otherwise. My view was a reflection of a wider river of BS that inevitably appears during silly season.

Not quite so dangerous BS as those who add fuel to harmful and unfounded rumours about the club heading for administration.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2
  • Facepalm 2

2 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Not quite so dangerous BS as those who add fuel to harmful and unfounded rumours about the club heading for administration.

I think it was me who first mentioned admin. Albeit sarcastically. 

• Facepalm 1

Just now, Fraz said:

I think it was me who first mentioned admin. Albeit sarcastically. 

Unfounded? Hmmmm

1 hour ago, old caley girl said:

Unfounded? Hmmmm

I think Kingsmills must have been referring to the Chairman for his statement that the club required investment to secure it's immediate future.  You'd think people would realise that he's in a position to be making comment on a fairly solid foundation!!

10 hours ago, Renegade said:

Or be forced to sit through the big screen showings of East Enders and the Leonard Cohen tribute concert which are being organised at the Global Energy Stadium to cheer up the County fans.

• Funny 1

11 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Almost bad as the naff "Pride of the Highlands" on the official club crest.

and what's wrong with "pride of the highlands"?😁

• Funny 2

Once we've played them in 3 cup games and 2 league games before Christmas.....the novelty will have worn off again.

52 minutes ago, CaleyD said:

Once we've played them in 3 cup games and 2 league games before Christmas.....the novelty will have worn off again.

I dunno. Depends if we're winning or not!

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

Just now, Fraz said:

I dunno. Depends if we're winning or not!

Very true 😂