Highland Derbies Next Season

MorayJaggie

2 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

On the contrary, it is indeed totally unlike the two occasions both well over a decade ago when we were baked out by Tullochs and, perhaps more to the point, love him or loath him, Roy McGregor's only motive is the love of the club he supports.

Must have been some bake off competition that year :lol:. Maybe we need Mary Berry on the board.

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

On the contrary, it is indeed totally unlike the two occasions both well over a decade ago when we were baked out by Tullochs and, perhaps more to the point, love him or loath him, Roy McGregor's only motive is the love of the club he supports.

I don't see it that way at all. The common bottom line is this - were it not for external financial intervention, neither club would have achieved a fraction of what it has done.

In Ross County's case, the appearance is that there's been a constant, generous financial drip feed of funds which have allowed infrastructure to be built and wages to be paid at such a level that it has been possible to achieve Premiership football in 2012 and then sustain it, including top six finishes and a national trophy win. Otherwise, what might County have become? A Championship - League One yoyo club?

In the case of Caley Thistle, the assistance - which may or may not total less than in County's case but has been far more life saving - has simply worked differently. This is because of the critical mess the club got into in around 2000 with its approximately £2.5 million debt. No amount of revisionism will alter the cold fact that if that debt had not been taken away, the club would have gone into administration or receivership. As we all know that debt was removed by Tullochs, the only game in town, who also provided working capital and then upgraded the stadium. The net effect of Tullochs' £5.3 - £6M intervention was, in five years, to effect a transformation from virtual bankruptcy to playing SPL football, debt free in a fully compliant stadium.

However, two issues have intervened to alter the perception of that process in the eyes of far too many. Firstly, there has been a failure to realise, or to accept, that Tullochs aren't a philanthropic society although they have accepted a significant net loss by becoming involved with Caley Thistle. And secondly, we are back to the delusion that's too often held in football that the world somehow owes the game a living.

Back in 2000, Caley Thistle had hugely overstretched its means. To be brutally realistic, I would also have to add - very reluctantly indeed because he also did a huge amount of good for the club - that this was under the chairmanship of one of the main complainers about the manner in which salvation from a potentially fatal event was then achieved. The club's future existence was secured by Tullochs, but what I seem to be seeing now is some kind of revisionist view that it might have been better after all if their considerable assistance had been rejected and oblivion had been allowed to ensue.

• Agree 3

5 hours ago, Charles Bannerman said:

I don't see it that way at all. The common bottom line is this - were it not for external financial intervention, neither club would have achieved a fraction of what it has done.

In Ross County's case, the appearance is that there's been a constant, generous financial drip feed of funds which have allowed infrastructure to be built and wages to be paid at such a level that it has been possible to achieve Premiership football in 2012 and then sustain it, including top six finishes and a national trophy win. Otherwise, what might County have become? A Championship - League One yoyo club?

In the case of Caley Thistle, the assistance - which may or may not total less than in County's case but has been far more life saving - has simply worked differently. This is because of the critical mess the club got into in around 2000 with its approximately £2.5 million debt. No amount of revisionism will alter the cold fact that if that debt had not been taken away, the club would have gone into administration or receivership. As we all know that debt was removed by Tullochs, the only game in town, who also provided working capital and then upgraded the stadium. The net effect of Tullochs' £5.3 - £6M intervention was, in five years, to effect a transformation from virtual bankruptcy to playing SPL football, debt free in a fully compliant stadium.

However, two issues have intervened to alter the perception of that process in the eyes of far too many. Firstly, there has been a failure to realise, or to accept, that Tullochs aren't a philanthropic society although they have accepted a significant net loss by becoming involved with Caley Thistle. And secondly, we are back to the delusion that's too often held in football that the world somehow owes the game a living.

Back in 2000, Caley Thistle had hugely overstretched its means. To be brutally realistic, I would also have to add - very reluctantly indeed because he also did a huge amount of good for the club - that this was under the chairmanship of one of the main complainers about the manner in which salvation from a potentially fatal event was then achieved. The club's future existence was secured by Tullochs, but what I seem to be seeing now is some kind of revisionist view that it might have been better after all if their considerable assistance had been rejected and oblivion had been allowed to ensue.

you really are becoming quite boring with your history of how Tullochs saved our bacon. even you can't change anything and I'm sure you don't know the full story. The important fact is how we get out of this mess!!!!!!!

7 hours ago, Charles Bannerman said:

Methinks, Caleyboy, that you have an axe or two to grind with Tullochs!

certainly no axe to grind Charles. my only problem lies with motive. Too many believe the club was saved for football/ community reasons whilst the real reason was business / personal profit disguised by complicated smoke screens over the years. Why not be upfront and transparent (the new "in word").

Edited by caleyboy
  • Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...

Another fine set of results in the Premiership today putting them back where they deserve. Three cheers for Owen Coyle. GIRUY!! :ictscarf:

Edited by Guest

Last season we went into new year with 16 points from 21 games, County are a very similar 17 from 22. We had a rookie manager (perhaps a terrible manager) and long term injuries to several of our highest paid players. What’s County’s excuse?

• Agree 1

They certainly haven't had the 'new manager bounce' that a lot of clubs get when they replace their manager,  in fact they have had the reverse. I said at the time that I thought they had made a big mistake getting rid of McIntyre,  but no doubt Uncle Roy will throw money at the transfer market in January to bail them out.

Jim MacIntyre was sacked for talking bullshit in Central Belt cliches and now Coyle is doing the same. I know many Co#nty fans who are totally p####d off with his flannel and have decided to give up going to games. Uncle Roy and other directors under a lot of pressure to sort things out.

8 hours ago, Row S said:

Jim MacIntyre was sacked for talking bullshit in Central Belt cliches and now Coyle is doing the same. I know many Co#nty fans who are totally p####d off with his flannel and have decided to give up going to games. Uncle Roy and other directors under a lot of pressure to sort things out.

That's not what he was sacked for!

As said before, us relegating them in a play off final would be best at the end of the season.

Would be hard going though after winning the Scottish Cup 24 hours earlier!!! :ictscarf:

6 minutes ago, Caman said:

As said before, us relegating them in a play off final would be best at the end of the season.

Would be hard going though after winning the Scottish Cup 24 hours earlier!!! :ictscarf:

Started early for Hogmanay Caman? :lol:

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, IBM said:

Started early for Hogmanay Caman? :lol:

Yes IBM. Since you're asking, mine's a Babycham. Shaken not stirred. Plus a packet of beef Monster Munch.:amazed:

Edited by Guest

• 4 weeks later...

Looking ever likely this fixture will be back next season, in the Championship!!

Our friends (only joking) over the bridge are six points adrift and playing Sevco tomorrow. 

I do not like either team one bit, but I am hoping for a Sevco win. 

Then RC have Aberdeen next Wednesday. 

Tough times for them. (Shame!!!!!)

Edited by Guest

Draper and Mckay - went there in the summer.

Tansey - went there when they were bottom in January. 

Which one of that three looks the biggest/most desperate chump?

Although having said that, Tansey probably has the biggest pay packet of the three. 

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Charles Bannerman said:

So which of the four possible permutations for next season do Inverness fans think is the most likely?

Both Highland sides in the Premiership.

Both in the Championship.

ICT in the Premiership and County in the Championship?

County in the Premiership and ICT in the Championship.

With RC having a shed load of ex ICT players. :cry:

4 minutes ago, Charles Bannerman said:

So which of the four possible permutations for next season do Inverness fans think is the most likely?

Both Highland sides in the Premiership.

ICT in the Premiership and County in the Championship?

County in the Premiership and ICT in the Championship.

I would like to think we would swap places, with ICT going up through the play offs and County having automatic relegation, but in my heart of hearts I think we will both be playing in the championship next season.