This season's refereeing

MorayJaggie

Willie Collum has been well praised for his performances in Europe despite attracting much criticism in Scotland. Now that did surprise me I must admit because I was never a big fan of this gent's performances. But, when I reviewed him on the T V in European matches, his decisions did look decent...?So what does that say about other refs in the game all over the world? 

As for your last paragraph, Wynthank, few o f us can disagree with your insight here.:cheer01:

31 minutes ago, Eye Settee said:

Shocking again today. Why was Vigurs booked when he was pulled down?  Why was Donaldson booked when he didn't touch the QOS player???????

Agreed , a completely bewildering decision as to why Donaldson got the booking! 

Who can explain this incident to all and sundry?

I'm becoming more and more convinced that the SFA are giving their referees a yellow card quota to get in every time they referee one of our games. That's The only possible reason as far as I can see. From my seat in the main stand today vigurs didn't mouth off didnt react in an aggressive manner just laughed at the reaction of Rooney. The ref only seemed to decide that there was a foul after vigurs was pushed to the ground. 

I think referees should start to have to give post match press briefing explaining their decisions.

That won't necessarily work since the refs  who have genuinely been issuing cards that they know are unrealistic or unfair etc will never admit to anything.

Fans in Scotland will never be assured of a good refereeing system with fair decisions without the introduction of a video system which can be replayed at the drop of a hat. Then refs will be very anxious to enhance their skill sets  and/or do the right thing at all times. And if a decision remains contentious after the video has been seen then it should trigger an automatic re=view at that very time by an overall match commander whose final decision is absolute.

What has been said here by the above posters may well be true since some of the officiating that I have seen have been  bizarre with a capital "B". 

On the Donaldson booking you could put forward an argument regardless of the contact that due to the length Donaldson slid he had little control and could have been considered dangerous. I too thought it wasn't a foul but possibly how it was interpreted. 

The vigurs one without knowing what he said looks like typical poor refeering there has been an incident book both to avoid controversy. Although maybe vigurs talked himself into it.. he'd have been fine had he walked away.. or even not made a silly foul in the first place.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Huisdean said:

That's exactly what the Vigurs incident was, book both players to avoid controversy instead of having the balls to do the correct thing. Poor poor refereeing.

Agreed.  And it is exactly the sort of thing which actually causes controversy.  Vigurs may have fouled Rooney, he may have given Rooney some verbals after the foul was given and he may have given Rooney some verbals after he got back off the ground.  What he did not do was to raise both hands to an opponent and push him to the ground.  I don't know whether Vigurs did anything which warranted a yellow card, but I do know Rooney should have been sent off.

Edited by DoofersDad
  • Agree 1

I don’t agree he should have been booked but I think Vigurs was booked for giving verbals after getting off the ground. If you consider he’s been pushed to the ground and the queens player has given as good as what he’s got, then perhaps that should have been 2 yellows for him. But it’s much easier for the ref to give a card each.

For Donaldson, the ref spoke to robbo not long after the incident. I’m fairly certain that afterwards robbo turned to kellacher and said ‘studs up’ while shaking his head. But I might have that wrong.

Edited by Sir C the 3rd
  • Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:51 PM, MorayJaggie said:

I'm becoming more and more convinced that the SFA are giving their referees a yellow card quota to get in every time they referee one of our games. 

Presumably that's one you also formulated on the Grassy Knoll, although the evidence does seem to suggest that refereeing standards aren't great. Have you been on to Alex Ferguson's lad at Doncaster in search of a solution out of the Book Depository stable?

• Disagree 1

35 minutes ago, Charles Bannerman said:

Presumably that's one you also formulated on the Grassy Knoll, although the evidence does seem to suggest that refereeing standards aren't great. Have you been on to Alex Ferguson's lad at Doncaster in search of a solution out of the Book Depository stable?

Aye I had a chat with Darren. He told me it was the Russians 

• Agree 1

This is getting a bit boring / bordering on paranoia.

We are in the second tier (our own doing) and will therefore not get the top officials. 

We must remember Josh Meekings 'save' in the Scottish Cup semi final. If the ref had got that right how would that have ended up? 

Time to move on and dry your eyes. 

6 hours ago, Caman said:

We are in the second tier (our own doing) and will therefore not get the top officials. 

We must remember Josh Meekings 'save' in the Scottish Cup semi final. If the ref had got that right how would that have ended up? 

But we have had some of the top officials and they have been equally as bad. For example, Craig Thompson against Dundee Utd and John Beaton at least twice. Being in the second tier should not mean second class refereeing for any team.

Simple though!   Nobody cares in the SFA management rooms unless you have  clear -cut evidence that is contradictory to the ref's decision......  Ergo..video.

Am I obsessed with this video thing? Yes , I am , because I've viewed it countless times and IT works;  whereas nothing else seems to change anything  and the refs just get away with it. It also protects the refs from unfair criticism and is able to do all this right there immediately. No ifs and buts, no arguments or hysterics, no conspiracy theories and close to 100% accuracy in the judgements. Or the fact (as well)  that they don't want to incur the expenses of set-up or to force the clubs to pay for this. They may also claim that the length and breadth of the field precludes a realistic viewpoint but with zoom lenses et  al being standard on all sports cameras now, that argument is more self-serving than anything I think. 

The danger as they see it may also be the fact that the bad decisions will embarrass them to admit that real change has been left for too long a length of time without resolution and it might attract too much questioning and criticism from the fans all round as to why they did not act long before now. 

However, surely embracing new techniques and progress trumps that card handily. Got to move and keep up  mit der times.  Ja?

Charles -- :wink:--what do you think in response to my thinking here?

9 hours ago, Caman said:

That was a minor lapse. The real refereeing scandal in that match was the fact that he completely ignored the ICT fans constantly pulling down Celtic players in the box.

• Funny 4