Inverness CT -V- Queen of the South

Scotty

A well deserved win against a team that are no mugs.

Vigurs and Polworth had great games, Calder was a revelation at left back, Ridgers had a few decent saves, Donaldson oozes class, the front three defended from the front. Not a failure amongst the 13 played.

We are playing attractive stuff, creating chances and scoring. Long may that continue.

The ref and near side linesman were poor. How the ref saw fit to book Vigurs for being pushed to the ground when the ball was dead defeats me. Donaldson was very unlucky to get booked too. Credit to Robbo for hooking Vigurs after the booking to save the risk of another yellow.

A tough 15 days for the team, but 10 points in that time and we must be in with a decent chance of the play offs. 

Well done guys, roll on Dundee!

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 1

I was very critical of Vigurs when he got sent off a couple of games ago, so it is only fair to congratulate him on a great performance today. He and Polworth dominated the middle of the park.  Connor Bell's work rate was an example to all

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Yngwie said:

Interesting that after that remarkable run of clean sheets (10 in 11 matches) we’ve now gone 6 games without one. Not that I’m complaining, as overall the team seems to be playing better now.

TBF it's no more than a goal a game....and three of those games, we were down to 10men, the settled backline that had that great record,  hasn't been settled in those 6 games, so I think it's still a solid run, defensively...seems that Calder has settled in and looked good past couple of games, and if Seedorf could stay fit he has real potential.

Great to see Doran score today. he looked pretty good against Falkirk as well...it's almost like a new quality signing

Has to be said after a shambolic season last year and a difficult summer and start to the season, the team has come on leaps and bounds, and in Donaldson, Bell, Chalmers, Oakley, Seedorf, Ridgers and Calder we are seeing additions that are looking worthwhile having been given a bit of time (I think Trafford is in the same category, but hasn't played much recently, Baird I think has done OK, Austin obviously to soon to tell). Both Mulraney and Brad Mckay seem to have kicked on this year, and for all the criticism of him Polworth looks an increasingly important player for us. Vigurs and Tremarco have been stella for us, but I'm looking at the newbies and the youngsters

Not only am I up for the Falkirk home game in March...but I have managed to sort another trip up for our last home game against Dumfermline, my gut feeling is we'll have secured a play-off position by the end of that game, the play-offs are of course a marathon if you finish in 3rd/4th, and I don't think it's been done very often, but I can see us going the whole way (which I didn't expect to be saying a few months ago) if we are lucky with injuries, and suspensions.

Edited by Eagle4Caley
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

That was a pretty good all round performance.  Star of the show for me was young Calder who did a terrific job at left back.  He got a bit of stick earlier in the season for not getting stuck in enough but he didn't duck out of challenges today.  Instead he played a mature and assured game and seems to have had a good deal of confidence instilled in him.  He got forward well and put in several decent crosses.  He seems to have the ability to get a cross in where other players look to take an extra touch first.  Tremarco won't get back in the side if he keeps that up.

Donaldson and Vigurs were again excellent.  Vigurs' headed goal was a thing of beauty - it wasn't powerful but he had the composure to pick his spot and the skill to put it precisely there.  Bell and Oakley worked very well up front and with Doran and Polworth zipping about well, there was a lot more movement up front than we have been used to.

If Vigurs' goal was a thing of beauty, Chalmers' wasn't.  The BBC refers to him "firing" in the 2nd goal.  If that was "fired" then it was certainly a slow burner.  He seemed to miss-hit his shot from the edge of the box and the direction and probably a bobble or two deceived every one and it crossed the line in seeming slow-motion.  They all count!

Queens started the day in a play off place and they looked a pretty decent side to  be fair.  The fact that we managed to beat them pretty comfortably is a measure of how much progress we have made.

Clearly they don't listen to their own programmes then cos Barry Wilson described it as a 'trundler' on open all mics!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Yngwie said:

Interesting that after that remarkable run of clean sheets (10 in 11 matches) we’ve now gone 6 games without one. Not that I’m complaining, as overall the team seems to be playing better now.

We went back to basics after the Dumbarton travesty and have slowly introduced more attacking intent. 

I really enjoyed watching us today, particularly in the first hour when Doran, Polwarth & Vigurs were a cut above anything Queens had in midfield. While I remain an Oakleyskeptic, I thought he did a good job of hassling their centre-halfs and the creative players had more space as a result.  

We retreated & tired in the last half hour, but Calder & Donaldson deserve a mention for going full pelt right to the end. Excellent performances from both.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Another good win, out of the blocks quickly, scoring goals, flooding forward at times, all good. Then came the second half. We maybe sat in a bit and offered them the ball. Cost us a goal but hey, we can't complain about a 3-1 win. Still, if we went full pelt it could have been five or six. 

Calder was excellent, he is skinning defenders for fun now. Oakley is holding and giving and Doran is getting stronger by the game. Donaldson is immense at the back, so comfortable on the ball for a tall guy, baller.

Vigurs booking was farcical. But how often do you see that. The guy that gets shoved around gets booked for, well, erm, getting shoved around.

• Agree 4

Thought the team might struggle to match Tuesday night's performance without Mulraney and Tremarco, but if anything they exceeded it against a tougher opponent. Our veterans are on form and our youngsters are getting better every week. Second place is well within reach.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IBM said:

Another great performance from all the team now they have found the net, exciting play every time they pushed forward, not easy to pick a man of the match :ictscarf::ictscarf:

Brilliant game, thought Tuesday might be a one off but was pleasantly surprised to see the same level of dedication and quality on show today. No stand outs for me either great team performance 

Vigurs deserves the MoM award! A great performance from him. What an asset he has become and it’s great to see him celebrating towards the fans for his goal.  A lot of criticism was given to him in the past (not least by me!) but today his defensive run from penalty box to penalty box exemplified his change in character on the park. I thought he showed restraint by not reacting to being floored, only to be booked! No wonder Robbo went mental at the ref.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

Has Vigurs disciplinary record set a club disciplinary record?!

I think that 15 cards ( 2 red 13 yellow) is the highest an ICT player has ever “achieved”. And there is still a third of the season to go!

This will also be the 3rd consecutive season of Vigurs topping our card chart. (He even used to surpass Draper!)

The funny thing is he isn’t someone I would remotely consider to be one of our dirtiest ever players.

Really enjoying watching the team, playing great football and good to see the whole team scoring goals.

A big change from a few months ago, the easiest passes seemed to go wrong but now its clean and sharp all over the pitch. Couldnt fault a player today.

Bring on Dundee :ictscarf:

• Agree 1

Still basking in the glory of 7 goals and 6 points this week!

Forgot to mention the save from Polworth's shot that the keeper had, great shot and great save.

It could easily have been a much higher scoring game.

Great entertainment, great attitude from the players, great afternoon!

But we should do a video compilation of referee howlers....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Do they have to match the goals with the same number of bookings?   3-0 up - is there any need for two more players to get booked?

Ref really was a clown today. There were a few meaty challenges that saw no action on his part, and several - especially Vigurs - that were beyond belief. When the ref is audibly justifying his decisions to the coaches on the sidelines then you know he really is clueless.

5 hours ago, MorayJaggie said:

Totally dominated that game until vigurs was subbed. The midfield seemed to loose it's shape after that and you could see Queens starting to dominate there. Good decision to sub vigurs though to play it safe and keep 11 on the park. Still not sure why he was booked especially after he was pushed to the ground by Queens Rooney.

I thought Rooney should have walked. you raise your hands, you are off. Vigurs on the other hand I was pleasantly surprised. He played it very mature today - apart from one occasion where he was mouthing off at Muir (who was woeful) - and I was pleasantly surprised when he got pushed to the ground that he thought about retaliating but didnt ... then despite that gets booked anyway by Muir ! 

5 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

Vigurs got booked for being pushed to the ground earlier in the season as well.  The referee was generally fine in the first half but made some strange decisions in the 2nd half.  Twice Polworth won the ball fair and square  and was blocked in trying to move away with the ball.  Apparently it is an offence to try to play the ball but fine to block off the player trying to play the ball.  I think some of these referees watch too much american "football".

Ref was a clown for the entire 90 minutes as far as I am concerned. although there were a few meaty challenges, this was not a dirty game and with the exception of Rooney pushing Vigurs to the ground, could probably have been a cardless game. 

5 hours ago, forresjags said:

Absolute scandal Vigurs was booked . Agree on some occasions he,s been his own worst enemy but today FFS that was just plain nonsense booked for being pushed to the ground.

Thought Vigurs was MOM today by a decent margin, with Calder his closest challenger.  He was playing a mature game and bar him having a wee pop at the ref midway through it, he was concentrating on, and succeeding at, playing some very nice football. 

4 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

That was a pretty good all round performance.  Star of the show for me was young Calder who did a terrific job at left back.  He got a bit of stick earlier in the season for not getting stuck in enough but he didn't duck out of challenges today.  Instead he played a mature and assured game and seems to have had a good deal of confidence instilled in him.  He got forward well and put in several decent crosses.  He seems to have the ability to get a cross in where other players look to take an extra touch first.  Tremarco won't get back in the side if he keeps that up.

Donaldson and Vigurs were again excellent.  Vigurs' headed goal was a thing of beauty - it wasn't powerful but he had the composure to pick his spot and the skill to put it precisely there.  Bell and Oakley worked very well up front and with Doran and Polworth zipping about well, there was a lot more movement up front than we have been used to.

If Vigurs' goal was a thing of beauty, Chalmers' wasn't.  The BBC refers to him "firing" in the 2nd goal.  If that was "fired" then it was certainly a slow burner.  He seemed to miss-hit his shot from the edge of the box and the direction and probably a bobble or two deceived every one and it crossed the line in seeming slow-motion.  They all count!

Queens started the day in a play off place and they looked a pretty decent side to  be fair.  The fact that we managed to beat them pretty comfortably is a measure of how much progress we have made.

Yup, that sounds about right. I thought Vigurs edged Calder out for MOM but he put in a nice shift and has some good pace and guile about him. He turned his opponents inside out several times and although he is young and raw I think we have unearthed a wee gem there. Brian Rice and Robbo are both helping him out with his positional awareness, but when he had the ball he needed no help with his skill and confidence. 

Someone not highlighted from yesterday yet who I think deserves a mention is Connor Bell who yet again put in a tremendous shift across the front line yesterday. Doran and Bell seem to be permitted to switch sides seemingly at random and float all across the forward line supporting Oakley and when you see our third goal it all stems from some incredibly tenacious hold up play from Bell who works hard to get the ball, retain possession before he plays in Polworth to set up Doran. People slag off Baird so much because of his finishing, justified to an extent, but the work rate from Baird and Bell has been so important to the team as we defend from the front. With Doran still working his way up to full fitness again and Baird out of the side at present it's great to see Bell not shirk the additional work he may have to do. Really hope a contract extension is in the minds of the ICT higher ups for the kid.

One minor concern from yesterday was that Gary Warren on three separate occasions was caught on the ball when trying to dribble out of defence and on each occasion Queens had an excellent chance to score a goal with Dobbie missing two sitters. Maybe have a word with him and leave the ball playing defender role to Donaldson!

Edited by RiG
  • Agree 3

There is a list of the all time top scorers in the SPFL on their website, given the 10,000th was scored yesterday.

Rory McAllister is top on 93.

Baird is on 45 and Austin on 43, with Billy Mckay between them on 44.

Adam Rooney and Shane Sutherland are also listed.

Edited by Robert

There was not a failure on the pitch for us today and, until Vigurs had to be substituted, the old guard of Vigurs, Polworth and Doran were running the show and oozing class. Perhaps some of those who have been on Polly's case all season will now cut him a bit of slack.

A special word for the manager. When he came in, I was not alone in having my doubts. He had been out of management for a very long time and out of full time management for even longer and his record since he left us almost a decade ago was hardly inspirational.

However, after a sticky start, he has now introduced a system which is both entertaining and increasingly effective. As far as recruitment is concerned, while there have been a couple of failures, his recruits are much more effective than those of either Hughes or Foran and on a fraction of the budget.

Well done to the players and the manager. We are not quite there yet and it may take until next season to genuinely challenge for promotion but we are on the right track and have, by and large, the right squad and the right Steersman at the helm.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• tm4tj unpinned this topic