Inverness Courier

caleyboy

So we haven't played any games, held any press conferences, signed any players or basically done anything for two weeks?  What do people expect the Courier to write?

10 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

Using your argument in another context, you might argue that the film review section  should use more space reviewing some foreign "art" movie with a single showing at Eden Court and which just happens to have won a prize at the Cannes film festival, than the latest Bond movie with multiple screen showings at Vue.  

That sounds fair enough to me - a Bond film would have coverage across the media but a single showing of a prize winning film at Eden Court is a specific local event.

There's been no football, but there has been stuff that could be communicated/reported on.

The club have been desperately calling around and holding crisis meetings about the finances. Apparently we need a sizeable six figure injection to see us to the end of the season.

The players moved out to Fort George full time on a two week trial. That could have made an interesting feature.

Our chairman made a big thing about improving communication, but after the early flurry of promises (few, if any, of which have been delivered) all we've had is posturing.

• Like 1

Newpaper sales are continually falling as more folks look to news online and from sources not just attributed to the mainstream media. I've no idea on circulation figures for the IC but I doubt its bucking the trend and increasing in sales. Whether they print stories on ICT or not will unlikely affect sales to any significant degree especially if it takes time and investment for journalists to track down non-existent news when nothing is happening. 

4 hours ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

So what happened to the enormous sum of money that was supposed to be coming to ICT along with other Football clubs here in Scotland that was rumoured  to being allocated to substantially paying off the outstanding debt?

aye, here's hoping we are not being subjected to yet another load of noise without substance. if we have already had the payment it has probably disapeared into the big black hole

Edited by caleyboy
  • Facepalm 1

I bet a lot of clubs walk a financial tightrope. As do a lot of businesses. Unless a sugar daddy or mummy comes to the rescue more austerity will be how it is. That's where we are at. 

51 minutes ago, old caley girl said:

Sounds like worrying times to me despite the Chairman today trying to calm the rumours? 

31 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

Wholly agree. It's more what that statement doesn't say rather than what it does.

The transparency promised last year seems to just be more soundbites when something controversial or negative is raised.

• Agree 3

NOT wanting to prejudge anything,  but when the large European cash windfall was announced wasn't the amount about 350,00/375,000 pounds and this figure was supposed to pay off about 2/3 of the deficit wasn't it?

If these figures are close to being right what happened to the money? If there are substantial debt,s other than the declared deficit, then what are they?

The European windfall appears to have  definitely been paid out to the clubs so it's vital, isn't it that the club makes the financial situation clear?

Otherwise it will all come out in the wash eventually and it might not be a pretty sight. 

What about Directors' remuneration , if any? If due , has it been paid out?

What about players' wages? Are they fully paid out and up-to-date?

Troubling situation and clarity and truth seems to be a paramount necessity. One thing seems to be clear and that's the fact that the new Chairman, and maybe the Boar too,  are desperate for an injection of cash to keep the club afloat?

I've just returned to Inverness after 10 days "away". I was mystified why I couldn't find any mention of our club's game on a blank Saturday, following our failure to beat Dundee and consequently progress into the next round of the Scottish Cup. I felt sure we would have fixed up a game to make sure we don't accumulate our normal pile-up of fixtures at the real business end of the season, when suspensions and injuries can take their toll. I had assumed that the club had spent a lot of money to ensure a few of our recent home games went ahead showed that as worthwhile aim. I tried unsuccessfully to research online why we did not fix up anything. All became clearer when I visited the Inverness library today and read the last edition (last Thursdays) of the Highland News. The back-page had it all - the head-line "Dunfermline Snubbed Over Irn-Bru Mess". It quoted our manager saying that the uncertainty over when our Irn-Bru Cup semi-final would be played left the club with no time to make arrangements to play a league fixture..

This is really unbelievable. We were knocked out of the Scottish Cup on Tuesday 30th January. That very evening, Dunfermline Athletic proposed to our club that we play our scheduled game against them on our Irn-Bru semi-final week-end on our blank date. As detailed on the Dunfermline Athletic web-site, Chairman Ross McArthur commented "as both ourselves and Inverness had a free Saturday on the 10th February, with both clubs being knocked out of the Scottish Cup, I have tried very hard since Tuesday evening to see if Inverness would re-schedule our fixture to that date. Inverness declined to do so. 
Therefore, we have agreed with our colleagues at Livingston that we will reschedule our outstanding fixture from 30 December, to next Saturday 10 February. I am extremely grateful to Livingston for fitting in the match at very short notice."

I am surprised that this has not raised one single comment. If 11 days notice of a re-arranged game is not enough, then just how much time does our club need? We now face a Tuesday night journey to Dunfermline for the re-arranged game on 06 March. That's a pleasing thought for our Inverness supporters don't you think?

10 hours ago, Yngwie said:

All our windfalls go towards paying players and managers. It seems to have been the case for many years that the core sources of income just aren’t enough to sustain us at the competitive level we want to be at.

Exactly. It's so tedious hearing 'where did all the Ryan C/Scottish Cup/Europe etc money go?' It's keeping the fecking lights on. 

PS: Europe cost us money. 

• Agree 7

24 minutes ago, Charles Bannerman said:

I often wonder how much money Scottish/ UK/ World football spends annually, paying former managers for doing absolutely nothing?

Only in the world of football does this bizarre practice of rewarding failure exist. Managerial contracts should provide for a maximum of three month's salary paid on termination.

If the manager is at all competent he should find alternative employment within that time.

Edited by Kingsmills

2 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Only in the world of football does this bizarre practice of rewarding failure exist. Managerial contracts should provide for a maximum of three month's salary paid on termination.

If the manager is at all competent he should find alternative employment within that time.

It isn't really rewarding failure - if you agree a contract with someone then you should honour it.  We've made hundreds of thousands of pounds in the last 15 years from compensation paid to release our managers from their contracts.