Scotty

13 minutes ago, TheMantis said:

Simple - Glasgow is much bigger than Belfast which is only about the size of Aberdeen, 300000 or so and about double that with the surrounding area. Greater Glasgow is about 1.2 million.

Only Linfield and Glentoran can draw over 2000. Ballinamallard are in the premiership but are in a village of 1300, less than Whitehill Welfare in the Lowland League. Warrenpoint is about the same as Brechin. Linfield may have some full timers though.

That and the hoards who board the ferry at Larne every weekend to watch one of the Ugly Sisters for reasons that are not always entirely football related.

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 1

With global warming getting worse,  and the predicted  outcome getting very realistic, then continuing to play during the wettest and most difficult months of the year, weather wise at least,   is unlikely to allow for  any positive change in the circumstances that prevailed before and  during this match.

Winter matches are , IMHO, no longer a viable scenario. Unless they are played completely under cover.

Nothing is going to change  in the near future weather wise and the predictions are for it to get wetter and wetter. Northern Arctic ice, just to quote one deteriorating  situation, is melting at a phenomenal rate (with the Antarctic ice platforms also receding faster than ever expected 20 years ago)  that will lead to flooding and mayhem in the not too distant future that you have never ever seen before.

The question is....  what, if any, changes will be made by the beaks in Glasgow to counter this global phenomenon?  My feelings are that they will react as they have always done, with no supportive plan for contingencies that they might reasonably  have anticipated would  happen eventually and have a profound and negative impact on our national game and the venues these games are played at.

What is left then? Just wringing hands and clubs simply going out of business--if the pitches are completely saturated and, in addition,  the fans don't want to stand outside in the freezing rain or cold etc., then what? 

It's often a razor-thin line between solvency and bankruptcy.  As Mr. McCawber once said in one of Mr. Dicken's novels..." Income one pound, expenditure nineteen shillings and sixpence.....solvency."        " Income one pound,  expenditure one pound and sixpence......bankruptcy."

Income 

21 minutes ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

Did wonder whether the Irish/Welsh teams were much bothered about their participation in this competition. I think the Crusaders' performance and attitude in the second half answered that for me.

I watched the interview with the Crusaders manager and he seemed very up for it.  Claimed the match against us was one of the biggest in the team's history.

Quite surprising that he said/thought that. I know they are part-time but they've played in every European club competition that there has ever been. I suppose it was a chance to reach the final of a competition outside the Northern Ireland goldfish bowl. 

I think one thing we saw in this game was something that I'd suspected for a while now and that is that Joe Chalmers can only play in a dominant team.  If we're attacking, having lots of possession and generally in the ascendency, he's a useful player in the side.  As we saw, he scored in the first half.  In the second, when we were under the cosh and having less of the ball, he was useless and the game passed him by.  I think against sides where we need to dig in - like St Mirren, Dundee United, Livingston etc. - starting Trafford in midfield is the better option if he's available.

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic