Keeping 11 on the pitch

bigman

What do we have to do to keep 11 on the pitch? I was going to say schoolboy stuff but that would be unfair. Robbo has said he will fine players who get themselves sent off. On Sunday it could have cost us a place in the final. I don,t really believe we are a team of idiots but some of the players behave in such a manner you start to believe that we are. Come on guys grow up the years of hard work by many players to get us were we are is being tarnished. I am getting to the stage were I wonder if getting a season ticket is good value

The players do have to take some of the blame, Mackay knew he was on a booking, although I thought the first one wasn't, so he must know if he pushes a player out of the way he will pick up a second. Saying that, on a number of occasions,  Crusader players went unpunished for the same offence,  which has happened on numerous occasions this season. All we are looking for is consistency from the officials. I have been at games this season when we have had several players booked and not one for our opponents. ICT are not a dirty physical team, but this season looks like turning out to be one of the worst for red cards.

• Agree 3

6 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Saying that, on a number of occasions,  Crusader players went unpunished for the same offence,  which has happened on numerous occasions this season. All we are looking for is consistency from the officials. I have been at games this season when we have had several players booked and not one for our opponents. ICT are not a dirty physical team, but this season looks like turning out to be one of the worst for red cards.

That's what does my head in, no consistency in the same game. Brad was stupid to get involved when on a booking, but it annoying to see opponents get away with the same behaviour. I wonder if our reputation is leading to some soft bookings? 

I think you have consistency as pointed  out we have been punished game after game. With this in mind we should ensure we stay within the laws of the game. As an x ref albeit at lowerd  level i find it hard to excuse or explain some of what we have suffered regarding decsions by many refs this season

Hawkeye mentions "our reputation", and, of course, it is a vicious circle. Once you establish a reputation, then the refs will be looking out for you. A positive feedback loop.

The problem has been there all season. Here's what I said on 02 Sep, after the match against Aberdeen U-20s. (Which, from reading the comments, seems to have been similar to Sunday night - a game of two halves against a weak side.)

"I see Trafford has been red-carded. Is it me, or is discipline worse this season? There seemed to be a lot of yellow cards in the previous games - even last week at Brechin."

Back then, Robbo's main priority was to find a viable team, so maybe discipline wasn't his top priority. But at this stage of the season, with everything to play for, it's essential.

We've had nine red cards this season.  How many of them have been for acts of stupidity?  Mckay's against Crusaders, Mulraney's against Falkirk and Trafford against Aberdeen U20s are three I can think of so it's at least one third.  I might be misremembering here, but was the disciplinary record not very poor during Robbo's first spell too?

On ‎23‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 11:04 PM, ICTPAISLEY said:

Juanjo getting sent off against Celtic is the only one I can remember on the early Robertson reign. 

if I recall, was this not the one where neil lennon went down as if he had been shot after some very minimal/non existant head contact at pittodrie?

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 7:18 AM, tm4tj said:

Most of Vigurs' ones are cynical stupidity and talking too much. The worst part of his otherwise quality game.

Think the worst I have seen would probably be larnell cole last season getting a soft yellow then hurling abuse at the ref and getting sent off about 6 seconds later.

20 minutes ago, hasman82 said:

if I recall, was this not the one where neil lennon went down as if he had been shot after some very minimal/non existant head contact at pittodrie?

Yes, that's the one.  Can you believe it is 14 years ago now?  It was shocking at the time that Lennon's blatant cheating got our man sent off.  ICT did successfully appeal the red card, but of course, as far as the match was concerned, the damage had been done.  In recent times of course that sort of incident happens quite frequently in modern football, more's the pity.   Personally, I had never liked Lennon as a player before then, but since that incident, along with many other ICT fans , I dislike him with a passion, both as a manager, pundit and human being. Some of his more unsavoury domestic issues which came to light when he was at Bolton, only confirm the contempt I have for him.

2 hours ago, hasman82 said:

Yes and that's the same Neil Lennon that was complaining bitterly about the referee yesterday :lol:

• Funny 1

Looking at how easy it is to get booked by referees these days, and the inconsistency shown by them (persistent fouling by Harkins yesterday but no booking, blatant dive by a Morton player, acknowledged by the ref but no booking when we have had at least two players booked in recent games for allegedly diving, albeit in the penalty area), much more difficult to keep 11 players on the pitch these days. We certainly haven't helped ourselves this season though.

On 25/02/2018 at 7:00 PM, CaleyD said:

Dougie McDonald effectively gifted Celtic the points that day, and yet those ungrateful scamps forgot all about poor Dougie’s helping hand a few years later when ‘Dougie Dougie-gate’ and their graceless chairman led to the referee strike.

On 25/02/2018 at 7:00 PM, CaleyD said:

I got a great view of this at Pittodrie & have never forgiven Neil Lennon to this day for his disgraceful actions. Think I had to be persuaded not to run onto the pitch after Lennon myself!! I remember Juanjo being particularly upset, as his family were over from Spain to watch him play, if I remember correctly?

Two things I took from that day - ICT were a decent team that could compete at that level & Neil Lennon was a cheating scumbag of a player...I may let this go one day, but not yet ?

One of our more fondly remembered ex players - I was definetly a fan of Juanjo!

• Like 1