Wikipedia page

cif73

The fee is listed at https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ryan-christie/transfers/spieler/188077 as £225K.  On the German version it is €250K, which is presumably the origin of Wiki's curiously precise figure of £221,645.   I don't know anything about that website.

There is often a difference between a headline figure and the amount that changes hands.

Maybe some of the transfer fee is dependent on appearances?  But over 50% would seem to be excessive.  Did he have an agent, who would receive a cut?  (His Dad?)

BTW, I see that it's Ryan's 23rd birthday today. Happy birthday, Ryan :cheer01:

Edited by snorbens_caleyman

5 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

I was widely reported at half a million at the time. I don't know if anyone has told you but Wikipedia is not always an entirely reliable source!

I am well aware of claims that Wikipedia is not entirely reliable. What makes newspaper reports more reliable? I don't think we should throw the baby out with the bathwater. As noted in snorbey_snowman's helpful contribution, the figure is curiously precise. I didn't say it was right or wrong but it attracted interest and was looking for someone who might know/corroborate the actual facts of the deal.

15 minutes ago, cif73 said:

As noted in snorbey_snowman's helpful contribution, the figure is curiously precise.

I was trying to say that it was probably the equivalent of €250K in sterling, using the exchange rate on the day that the record was added to the Wiki entry.

By "curiously precise" I meant that it would look odd to most people, who would expect to see round figures. I wasn't implying that the Wiki author had inside information.

9 minutes ago, johnnykanu12 said:

Pretty sure we got 400k for Niculae?!

€400k.  The club reported it as undisclosed but Dinamo Bucharest actually posted official documents publically onto their website after a dispute with us over releasing his registration.

3 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

I was trying to say that it was probably the equivalent of €250K in sterling, using the exchange rate on the day that the record was added to the Wiki entry.

By "curiously precise" I meant that it would look odd to most people, who would expect to see round figures. I wasn't implying that the Wiki author had inside information.

All I was doing was complimenting you ... nothing more. Think you're reading too much into my last post. I totally got what you were saying/speculating. Was just grateful for a lack of sarcasm.

Just now, RedCard said:

The fee was subject to a lot of adding which is very common in modern day deals 

I was just about to post that.  It could be that the figure on the Wikipedia page is what was paid up-front and the rest is monthly installments, sell on fees etc.