• herch-banner.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

Inverness CT -V- Morton

Recommended Posts

A bit of a strange one that.  We didn't play particularly well but we put far more pressure on their goal and could have won that comfortably.  We gave away 2 soft goals at one end and had 2 disallowed at the other, hit the woodwork twice and had one cleared off the line.  

Despite having more of the game and more of the chances, we had a very lacklustre feel about us for such an important game.  I don't think anyone played particularly badly but equally, I don't anyone played particularly well.  It seemed to me that players were well aware of the importance of the game and froze somewhat.  There was a nervousness about the play and despite the number of near misses, there was a reluctance to shoot, particularly from Polworth after good work to give himself a half chance on 3 or 4 occasions.

I've always been a fan of Doran but he looks some way from the player he was before his injury.  He did little wrong today but there was little of the buzzing energy and ball carrying which was such a feature of his game.  Hopefully more game time will strengthen and sharpen him up.  A pre-injury Doran would do some serious damage to some of the defences in this league.

Whilst the play-offs now seem most unlikely, I think we need to cast our minds back to where we were at the start of the season.  The principle goal at the end of the season must be survival and that should be comfortably achieved.  The focus should be shifting to make a serious challenge for promotion next season.

  • Agree 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

The principle goal at the end of the season must be survival and that should be comfortably achieved. 

You have the advantage over me of actually seeing them play - week in, week out.  I did see - on TV - the Crusaders game, and the team that played in the second half would have struggled against Cradlehall Nursery. Was it any better today?

If, as you suggest, no one really turned up, then I would be very concerned.

Yes, it looks safe at the moment, but if there is a bit of complacency and another couple of defeats, then all of a sudden you are wondering how on earth you can fashion any sort of win.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought we had loaned out Baird, yet it appeared Brad McKay was playing for Morton the day! Cost us with his mistake for the first goal but he made at least another couple of errors that could and should've seen Morton further ahead.

We were second to every loose ball and lacked the desire and energy that Morton showed. They deserved their 3 points, no doubt about that!

We improved slightly for a spell in the second half, going 4-4-2 with Austin coming on after half time. Alas it turns out he's made of glass and lasted all of 20 minutes!!!

It's a bizarre situation that sees the club emergency loaning a striker to another club in our same league whilst said club can see us off comfortably on our own patch without him ????? 

Don't despair though the playoffs are still in our sights ........the relegation playoffs that is!😭😭😭

  • Agree 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RednBlackComeback said:

I thought we had loaned out Baird, yet it appeared Brad McKay was playing for Morton the day! Cost us with his mistake for the first goal but he made at least another couple of errors that could and should've seen Morton further ahead.

We were second to every loose ball and lacked the desire and energy that Morton showed. They deserved their 3 points, no doubt about that!

We improved slightly for a spell in the second half, going 4-4-2 with Austin coming on after half time. Alas it turns out he's made of glass and lasted all of 20 minutes!!!

It's a bizarre situation that sees the club emergency loaning a striker to another club in our same league whilst said club can see us off comfortably on our own patch without him ????? 

Don't despair though the playoffs are still in our sights ........the relegation playoffs that is!😭😭😭

Agree with everything in that post 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was truly awful as bad as anything Foran delivered last year against far weaker opposition.

We should be doing much better than where we are and under achieving massively.

Today we were lacklustre and second to nearly every ball. Thank f***k for Brechin is all I can say.

 

 

 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robert said:

 

 

 

That was far from the worst we have played this season but we remain largely toothless. Boy do I wish I had stayed at home and watched the rugby on TV !

The promotion play offs are beyond us this season now but we remain at risk of the relegation play off place and I would happily trade victory over Dumbarton in the Irn Bru final for beating them in the two remaining league fixtures we have against them.

The frustrating thing is that, on our day, we can match any side in the division including St Mirren. The trouble is we have problems with consistency, commitment and, worst of all, discipline that the the teams in the top half of the division don't have to nearly the same extent.

We need to give Daniel McKay a run of starts to see what he is capable of. There is much to be said for the old axiom that if you're good enough and old enough and experience of playing regularly in this league will stand him in better sted for next season.

  • Agree 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Positive from today - no yellow cards. 

Not surprising though as none of them looked like they could give a f##k!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kingsmills said:

That was far from the worst we have played this season but we remain largely toothless. Boy do I wish I had stayed at home and watched the rugby on TV !

The promotion play offs are beyond us this season now but we remain at risk of the relegation play off place and I would happily trade victory over Dumbarton in the Irn Bru final for beating them in the two remaining league fixtures we have against them.

The frustrating thing is that, on our day, we can match any side in the division including St Mirren. The trouble is we have problems with consistency, commitment and, worst of all, discipline that the the teams in the top half of the division don't have to nearly the same extent.

We need to give Daniel McKay a run of starts to see what he is capable of. There is much to be said for the old axiom that if you're good enough and old enough and experience of playing regularly in this league will stand him in better sted for next season.

I would love to see young Daniel feature more but as he is still at school and with exams coming up i find that will be unlikely which is why the "emergency loan" of Baird to Morton even more baffling and now we appear to have lost Austin (again ) to injury what if something happens to Oakley ?? have they thought that through ??

  • Agree 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Polo Chick said:

the "emergency loan" of Baird to Morton

I suspect the “emergency” refers to our need to reduce the wage bill.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A team devoid of ideas, second to every ball and showing little passion.  Week after week I see teams breaking on us with pace, two or three passes and they are in our box, but we seem to take an eternity to get up the park, pick the wrong pass and run in to trouble. There was nobody to take this game by the scruff of the neck, be brave on the ball and make them work. I am struggling who to give the points to in player awards. We must build for next season and get rid of the chaff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you actually saying that the players are not putting in the effort like true professionals should? Or, to put it another equally horrendous way, .is there no leadership  now at all?

Or--is the team completely mismatched? 

Or -  are you saying or thinking  that J. R. is a poor Manager or just that he is not being supported by upper management because there is little or no money available for  buying realty decent, reliable players other than what is already in the squad? Or--that he is a good manager but the players are not heeding his advice  and supporting him in his efforts?

On the assumption that no. 3 is not what you feel, then are the nerves as the season end approaches with the team of ICT  in dire straights, the reason that it seems that the team may now be a complete write off  and the rebuild a complete failure? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've waited a few hours to calm down. This was a pathetic performance and Morton thoroughly deserved their win. They were so much sharper than us and made us look like rank amateurs. Brad McKay had a stinker but to be fair to him Seedorf provided no cover and was constantly out of position which left him hopelessly exposed. How can Robertson not see this?

We are constantly being told that we have a really good under 17 team. NOW is the chance to give 3 or 4 of them a chance before our crowds plummet to less than 1000 each week. I may be wrong but many of the Morton players looked like teenagers, they trust these lads why can't we? I suspect that Robbo is keeping faith with the likes of Brad as he is afraid that they will go off in the huff if dropped.

Really pissed off listening to excuses and the way forward from those in charge. Give the boys a chance, better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all!

  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the excellent run of form and clean sheets (that had us looking like a shoe-in for the play offs) is well and truly over. Can't help but see the decline starting roughly around the time of Ravens departure, and subsequent re-shuffle of the back 4.

  • Agree 4
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feck all to do with Raven. We are simply not a quality side at the moment. 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tm4tj said:

Feck all to do with Raven. We are simply not a quality side at the moment. 

Thats partially true but Brad Mckay much better in centre than as full back. Thus I think we do miss Raven and have not replaced him this far...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, old caley girl said:

Thats partially true but Brad Mckay much better in centre than as full back. Thus I think we do miss Raven and have not replaced him this far...

Seedorf is clearly not a right back, neither is Brad Mckay. 

Sorting that role out is an absolute nrcessity. 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, AlexJones said:

Looks like the excellent run of form and clean sheets (that had us looking like a shoe-in for the play offs) is well and truly over. Can't help but see the decline starting roughly around the time of Ravens departure, and subsequent re-shuffle of the back 4.

Is it not when Warren came back into the side?

  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair on  JB to me he's doing as good a job he can do with the team he has the real problem to me with Caley they don't really have a player who can score often like how Billy Mckay used to score the  rest of the team  can score every so often at best the only person who strikes me as quite a good scorer is Bell in Caley current team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at the players available today - without post match knowledge (and presuming that Tremarco is not yet match fit) I cant see what other opening 11 that JR could have started with. I would take six points against Dumbarton and Brechin (or even 4 with a share of points on Tuesday) plus a Challenge Cup win and then happily see out the season. BUT how did he line them up ? Also notice that Oakley got the Sponsors MOM ? And perhaps it is just looking for excuses but what part does the pitch play in our recent demise ? And lets face it indiscipline has definitely been a factor this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well my decision to leave at half time to go and watch the rugby was the right one. I just had a bad feeling from early in the game that it wasn't going to be our day. Can't see us get anywhere near the play offs now. Our defence was shocking and we clearly missed Coll Donaldson. Looking forward to Dublin and Rome in the next few weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Looking at the players available today - without post match knowledge (and presuming that Tremarco is not yet match fit) I cant see what other opening 11 that JR could have started with.

Trafford for Bell and a change of shape was a pretty big call. Robbo's got every big call wrong this season, hence we have lost every game we've gone behind in*. And why does he have such a lame pool to choose from? We might be skint but we're far from the poorest club in this league. Why don't we have a right-back or a striker? 

It's an absolute disgrace that we can't touch Morton or Livingston at this stage of the season. 

*not sure if that's true but it feels like it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lack of leadership  both on and off the field, Dorran cannot be fit or has lost the desire. The team looked and played like a primary school team, no leadership no idea no hope.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have unraged a little and in retrospect we could easily have taken something from the game. Story of our season really, very naive at times. Bad miss by Polly in first half and schoolboy defending by Brad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, tm4tj said:

Feck all to do with Raven. We are simply not a quality side at the moment. 

I have to disagree. It was no coincidence that our defensive form improved radically when we started to play Raven regularly and equally no coincidence that it's dipped rather alarmingly after he left.

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was sent off at Morton and left us in the lurch then. Decent enough player, but we should have been able to cope. Seedorf is not the answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.