Would folk have rathered we had played a blinder and lost? Tell you something that last gap goal was up with the best of them! Id almost forgot the raw emotion when this happens. Having seen and spoken to a good few players this win meant a lot to them. 

Lets just have a wee break for celebration and then return to the drudge of the league this season. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

10 minutes ago, old caley girl said:

Would folk have rathered we had played a blinder and lost? Tell you something that last gap goal was up with the best of them! Id almost forgot the raw emotion when this happens. Having seen and spoken to a good few players this win meant a lot to them. 

Lets just have a wee break for celebration and then return to the drudge of the league this season. 

Ok. For 48 hours and 29 minutes. :cheer01:

33 minutes ago, old caley girl said:

Couldn't have put it better, old caley girl.

I must admit there was a fair bit of cursing and swearing going on in our corner of the North Stand at some of our team throughout the game, but while we were moaning about opportunities missed, the 'singing section' in the bottom right hand corner of the North Stand managed to crank up the volume every time one of the boys made a bit of a hash of something and this must have been invaluable when it came to keeping the team's spirits up - as always, very well done to the singing section.

It feels so good to smile again. Congratulations ICT.:ictscarf:

• Like 1

Cup finals are games for winning. You have to win, that’s it. We won, thrillingly so.

The performance was typical of this season in its limitations and positives. It says a lot that a 16 year old got into better positions, created more chances and threatened their goal more than than our three starying forwards did the entire match. 

Be interesting to see how we play Mckay for the rest of the season. I don’t think we can start him but he should be among the first ports of call from the bench. The management will have to take a call on how well he can cope with first team football physically - guys like Harry Cochrane are playing every week at his age.

overall though, it was a great day, good to get some good feeling back in the club after some diabolical seasons.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, alternative maryhill said:

As well as being solid at the back, Donaldson was one of the only players on the park who wanted to carry the ball forward - I'm genuinely surprised that you think he looked like he didn't want the ball. It's true that he misplaced a couple of passes, but I think that was partly to do with the fact that the movement from our players in more advanced areas was frequently dreadful. That game should have been an opportunity for Mulraney to show off his ability, and he contributed nothing. Daniel Mackay provided more width, directness and outball in his first two minutes in the park than Mulraney did all game. 

Were we watching the same match? I agree that in the 2nd half he was better and looked to go forward more.  He was fairly solid in his defensive duties but Dumbarton were hardly testing the back line apart from the 1st 20/25 mins. His passing in the first half was drivil, when he did get the ball he went sideways or lost it. His movement was slow and looked disinterested. Living in Yorkshire I don’t get to many games but my old man is a season ticket holder and he said it was the one of the poorest performances from Donaldson he had seen all season. We both looked at each other in shock when the MOTM announcement was made.

• Disagree 3

1 hour ago, Doofer said:

Were we watching the same match? I agree that in the 2nd half he was better and looked to go forward more.  He was fairly solid in his defensive duties but Dumbarton were hardly testing the back line apart from the 1st 20/25 mins. His passing in the first half was drivil, when he did get the ball he went sideways or lost it. His movement was slow and looked disinterested. Living in Yorkshire I don’t get to many games but my old man is a season ticket holder and he said it was the one of the poorest performances from Donaldson he had seen all season. We both looked at each other in shock when the MOTM announcement was made.

The guy is just back from injury, so was a bit rusty. He confessed at the end he was worried about extra time because he was knackered. Give him a break - I thought he did very well, and merited his MoM.

• Agree 5

5 hours ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

Donaldson, on his game, is a real prospect for the future of ICT. Sign him to a longer term contract.

He's contracted to summer 2020. 

My wife and I were up in Inverness over the weekend, but because she hasn't been very well recently we opted not to go to the match , so watched from our hotel room instead. We missed the first 20mins though, which appears to have been Dumbarton's brightest spell, because other than the occasional foray forward and the scare of a mistake or our defence switching off, I didn't feel we were under much threat....according to the BBC they only had 4 shots and only one on target. They sat back very deep, and made it very difficult for us, effectively neutering any threat from Mulraney (who had no space to play with) and to a lesser extent Bell. Oakley had an OK game, but funnily enough I felt Baird might have done a better job (I'm sure I am in the minority there!) It was a pretty scrappy game and many passes went astray, but in my view we were much the better side, I know from watching my other team, that playing a side that defends that deep, will effectively bring you down to their level!. I thought we were patient and tried to build from the back, Polworth and Vigurs trying to prompt along with Donaldson, Tremarco and to a lesser extent Seedorf. One thing that did impress me was the number of forward slide rule passes that were attempted and many completed. Now you might pooh-pooh that observation, but I often complain about how poor the passing of my other team is (sorry to mention them again) ...so that was something I noticed. We got progressively better in the second half (as did Seedorf!) and it was great work by Robbo to bring Doran on for Mulraney and then Mackay when he did, I felt both would change the game. Vigurs penalty was poor (for some reason I think left footers are more likely to miss a penalty anyway...just from observing many penalty shoot-outs), but I wasn't totally convinced it was one anyway, and if we had won the game from that, it would have been somewhat flat as a victory. Our winning goal was great, and probably only the second time in the match that we properly carved their defence up.

As someone else said Cup finals are for winning and we did, the players looked elated, and hopefully will give them a lift for the running in, so that we can lift any thoughts of a relegation play-off, off our backs and maybe inch towards those play-offs. Given that Donaldson only came back from injury for this game, it'll be interesting to see if Robbo starts him on Tuesday. I'm up for the Dunfermline game on the 21st April (straight after a Dumbarton double-header :crazy:) which I am looking forward to, and a lot of games will have been played by then.  I know many people have been disappointed with this season, but maybe because I don't see us play every week, I am encouraged by the green shoots that I see in some of the new players that have come in (and Doran's slow but steady return).

Edited by Eagle4Caley
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4

Having witnessed some shocking and depressing ICT performances recently, it was great to experience the feeling of winning a trophy.again!

On this season's form (re-inforced by the first 92 and a half minutes), no way we will put a winning run together over the final stretch.........so it's a case of get the season over with and get ourselves in a position to mount a real challenge next season.

Well done to all again.

Hopefully it will instil a bit of confidence in the side.  The lack of confidence in the final 3rd was summed up close to half time by someone in the North Stand shouting "will somebody please take a f**king shot!".  If we don't pick up a few points in our next few games, the double header against Dumbarton could represent another couple of cup finals and we know that Dumbarton will make it very hard for us.

With other teams in the division looking for wins to boost their play-off hopes, many of our games should be rather more open affairs than Saturday's match.  It is crucial players have the confidence to go for goal when chances arise rather than simply move the ball on.  I think we have left it too late for the play offs, but the key thing is to remove any fear of relegation as soon as possible.  If we can do that, then we can end the season with some stress free games knowing we have a national trophy in the bag.That should set us up nicely for next year.

16 hours ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

Donaldson, on his game, is a real prospect for the future of ICT. Sign him to a longer term contract.

His post match interview was very professional and mature. A future captain in my opinion.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

The lack of confidence in the final 3rd was summed up close to half time by someone in the North Stand shouting "will somebody please take a f**king shot!". 

In a similar (but politer) vein, my 10yo daughter said to me at half time “why don’t they try to kick it into the net?” :lol:

This was followed by “and why is the ball up in the air so much?” She was obviously comparing her first pro game with the coaching she gets at a girls team she recently joined.

I could only reply “good question!”

• Funny 3

Er!    I did say longe , not just long-term, contract.

From all accounts he could be the real deal. And if his heart is in the right place as far as residing in  Inverness, etc, then he could develop into a very good, reliable future ICT stopper .  If so it would also be necessary , as far as John's budget will allow, to reward him as he progresses .......!

1 hour ago, caley100 said:

Aye, the left back with the shyte haircut should have a yellow for the hand ball, that would have put him off!   never mind tho....We won the cup~!!!!!!:ictscarf:

McLaughlin, was at County briefly. He seemed to be feigning injury in the second half. Collapsed in a heap but in slow motion it appears Oakley never touched him.

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic