ff
AUDIO COVERAGE
  • NONE - might get a mention on BBC Sportsound [UK Only]

LIVE TEXT (ONLINE)
VIDEO
TEAM LINEUPS
2018-03-27_14-50-19.jpg
Tweets by @ICTFC

It counts for enough Yngwie - takes a huge load of pressure off from Dumbarton below us and a back to back off the cup win must be a massive boost for their confidence - great result :clapoverhead:

Edited by CaleyCanary
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

Great result, just wish it counted for something a bit more!

I think tonight counts for quite a lot in terms of avoiding the relegation play-offs. Combined with Dumbarton's 5-0 defeat by Simmurn that leaves ICT with a seven point and a 19 goal advantage as well as a game in hand. Consequently, Dumbarton would need to score eight more points in their last nine games than Caley Thistle did in their last 10 to jump into eighth place. Even the deficit alone, never mind having to add to it whatever ICT get for the rest of the season, is similar to Dumbarton's average points scoring rate to date.

A for the "other" playoffs, the ONLY thing that's stopping me from saying a categorical NO is the last three months of 2009-10, but even part of that was Dundee bottling it and I can't see Qos, Dunfermline and Dundee United all bottling it to the extent required.

Also, twinned with the Cup victory, a home win over Dundee United is quite a formidable combination of results which it's hoped can be built on - although Simmurn at home will be a pretty formidable test.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

21 minutes ago, TheMantis said:

Never mind Dumbarton jumping above ICT, Falkirk would need to jump above ICT as well, with a game less as well as a much poorer goal difference. 

I was taking it as a likely "given" that if there was a big enough collapse for Dumbarton to jump above ICT, Falkirk would have done so as well, but indeed - tonight's outcome also takes ICT a place up the table.

And as an aside.... in the wake of winning that cup and tonight's valuable follow up, it's going to be interesting to see what kind of a home crowd turns up for the visit of the league leaders. (Please note that I've just said "interesting" and "what kind" as opposed to making any predictions!)

Edited by Charles Bannerman

An excellent combination of results this evening which go a very long way indeed to easing our fears about occupying the relegation play off place. Almost certainly too little too late to make a serious push for a promotion play off position but it does ease the pressure and means that we can play positively without fear and with nothing to lose for the rest of the season.

The absolute priority is to get young Daniel McKay signed up for next season and beyond.

• Agree 1

Terrific result and a terrific three days. Hopefully that will quieten the relentless doom mongers for a while.:lol:

You can see the shape of a good team emerging. I think all the postponements and injuries halted  the progress we were making by the Christmas period, but now we are getting back on track. A few astute ins and outs over the summer and we should be good for a strong campaign next season. Especially if the auld enemy join us :wave:

• Agree 2

Well, for me, that was the best team performance at home this season. Lacking maybe in goals but no lack of application and energy. All over the pitch we were 100% committed to pressing and picking up loose/2nd balls. Deserving of a wider margin of victory. Utd were played off the park and their threat snuffed out. Difficult to pick out a man of the match. Doran must start more. Mackay needs more game time. Almost wish the season was just starting now. Well done all! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Agree with other posts. What a positive, pressing and enjoyable performance from the boys. A real team effort and one for all, all for one mindset. 

Same again on Saturday please. 

:ictscarf:

Yup : good result on the back of the cup win.

The Arabs are pretty poor along with most other teams in the Championship and the really frustrating thing is that we have failed to take advantage of that.

Overall a good run in and we can look forward to next season with optimism.

Yes, I agree with the above. An all round better display than Saturday, but I still think the midfielders need to create better chances for our strikers to kill off the opposition. Austin and Oakley didn't get much service tonight and along with Mackay had to drop back to get the ball.

A good step in the right direction though - step 1 in moving closer to the top end play off zone. I'd settle for a point from St Mirren although 3 would be a great bonus. Then that would set us up for taking 3 from next Tuesday's game and opening up a gap between us and Falkirk.

Edited by Row S

9 hours ago, Yngwie said:

Great result, just wish it counted for something a bit more!

Yes a great result...and it could count for more. A play-off place is maybe an outside possibility, but it's better to look up than down, and remember St Mirren's almost certain promotion is very much off the back of a brilliant run in the Spring last year taking them from bottom to clear of the relegation play-offs. A good finish to the season has positives all round. :ictscarf:

• Agree 1

A really excellent team performance last night. I thought the energy shown and the way we closed down United was outstanding.  I thought everyone had a decent game but a special mention to George Oakley who had the best game I've seen from him.  His work to get the ball to Doran for the goal was top drawer.  Mind you, I'm not quite sure what happened when he appeared to divert a goal bound Austin shot over the bar from 2 yards!  We haven't seen a lot of Charlie Trafford this season but I thought he put in a great shift in the middle of the park.

There were a couple of negatives last night.  One was the 3 unnecessary bookings and the second was that we didn't score more goals,  Our dominance should have led to a bigger margin of victory.  We are not creating enough clear cut opportunities and remain rather shot shy (Daniel MacKay excepted).  Having said that, Dundee Utd defended pretty well with Mohsni  displaying some real skill to play his side out of trouble on a few occasions.

Utd were rank rotten when going forward and we can be assured of a far sterner test on Saturday.  Last night showed that we have the potential to upset the league leaders if we match last night's energy and commitment.

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic