Jump to content

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

A really excellent team performance last night. I thought the energy shown and the way we closed down United was outstanding.  I thought everyone had a decent game but a special mention to George Oakley who had the best game I've seen from him.  His work to get the ball to Doran for the goal was top drawer.  Mind you, I'm not quite sure what happened when he appeared to divert a goal bound Austin shot over the bar from 2 yards!  We haven't seen a lot of Charlie Trafford this season but I thought he put in a great shift in the middle of the park.

There were a couple of negatives last night.  One was the 3 unnecessary bookings and the second was that we didn't score more goals,  Our dominance should have led to a bigger margin of victory.  We are not creating enough clear cut opportunities and remain rather shot shy (Daniel MacKay excepted).  Having said that, Dundee Utd defended pretty well with Mohsni  displaying some real skill to play his side out of trouble on a few occasions.

Utd were rank rotten when going forward and we can be assured of a far sterner test on Saturday.  Last night showed that we have the potential to upset the league leaders if we match last night's energy and commitment.

Agreed.  Oakley and Trafford had a great game. With that kind of display I would give Oakley another season as I think he has earned the chance. I'll forgive him for his goal line clearance in the first half from Austin's shot. :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Eagle4Caley said:

 A play-off place is maybe an outside possibility.

I don't want to sound negative, but this is what's probably required to do this:- with 9 games remaining.... pull back 8 points on QoS with 3 games in hand PLUS 9, maybe 10 points on Dunfermline with 3 games in hand PLUS 11 points on DU with 1 game in hand OR 12, maybe 13 points on Morton with 3 in hand. (The "maybe" qualification is where goal advantage may not be pulled in as well)

That's a lot of points to be pulled back on a lot of clubs and, as I've said before, all that's preventing me from being even more categorical is the 2010 run-in.... which itself depended on the collapse of just one rival club.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Charles Bannerman said:

I don't want to sound negative, but this is what's probably required to do this:- with 9 games remaining.... pull back 8 points on QoS with 3 games in hand PLUS 9, maybe 10 points on Dunfermline with 3 games in hand PLUS 11 points on DU with 1 game in hand OR 12, maybe 13 points on Morton with 3 in hand. (The "maybe" qualification is where goal advantage may not be pulled in as well)

That's a lot of points to be pulled back on a lot of clubs and, as I've said before, all that's preventing me from being even more categorical is the 2010 run-in.... which itself depended on the collapse of just one rival club.

To have any chance, we need three points on Saturday. Other results going our way on top and you never know.......................

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DWH said:

To have any chance, we need three points on Saturday. Other results going our way on top and you never know.......................

 

I'm not so sure about that since St Mirren are not one of the teams being directly pursued. Given that points WILL be dropped, irrespective of the final finishing order, dropping them against St Mirren (*) would be one of the less damaging ways of doing it. The games against the clubs in 3, 4, 5 and 6 are a lot more important in this respect - six pointers as opposed to the 3 pointer which St Mirren is.

(*) - that isn't to be taken as any expectation of the result, simply an appraisal of the consequences of possible outcomes on Saturday.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Charles Bannerman said:

I don't want to sound negative, but this is what's probably required to do this:- with 9 games remaining.... pull back 8 points on QoS with 3 games in hand PLUS 9, maybe 10 points on Dunfermline with 3 games in hand PLUS 11 points on DU with 1 game in hand OR 12, maybe 13 points on Morton with 3 in hand. (The "maybe" qualification is where goal advantage may not be pulled in as well)

That's a lot of points to be pulled back on a lot of clubs and, as I've said before, all that's preventing me from being even more categorical is the 2010 run-in.... which itself depended on the collapse of just one rival club.

Over the last 10 seasons, as little as 49 and as many as 62 have been needed for 4th. 

This is slightly skewed by the fact that 4th has only been a play-off place for the last 4 of those, and 52 is the low water mark in those. 

Looking at the table, and the fact that not everybody can drop points every week, mid 50s feels like it would be needed, which is 7 wins (maybe 6 if we are lucky) from 9 games, which feels like a challenge.

And we can’t afford any slip ups against the teams above us from 2nd to 6th - those are real ‘six pointers’. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Charles Bannerman said:

I'm not so sure about that since St Mirren are not one of the teams being directly pursued. Given that points WILL be dropped, irrespective of the final finishing order, dropping them against St Mirren (*) would be one of the less damaging ways of doing it. The games against the clubs in 3, 4, 5 and 6 are a lot more important in this respect - six pointers as opposed to the 3 pointer which St Mirren is.

(*) - that isn't to be taken as any expectation of the result, simply an appraisal of the consequences of possible outcomes on Saturday.

With the gap that exists to fourth (even allowing for games in hand), we need all the points we can get (and others need to drop points). It's a big difference with matches rapidly running out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Stroll in the park last night. United were howling and utterly toothless up front. Much better performance from ICT compared to recent weeks, lots of chasing and harrying of the opposition forcing them into mistakes although sadly not many from Moshni who was actually pretty decent.

Good play from Oakley for the opener. He cut in from the right and somehow sped past the United defender before he flicked a ball through to Doran and he found the net possibly via a deflection off Lewis. Oakley also managed to somehow managed to miss an open goal from a yard or so out after Austin fired towards goal.

Second half was more of the same, us dominating but ultimately failing to find the net. Mackay had the best chance when he found space in the box but his fierce shot was smothered by Lewis. Mackay was lucky not to be sent off after a mental lunge at Robson (I think). Ross Tokely would have been proud of that attempt at a tackle. 

United only really threatened when MacDonald lifted the ball over the bar when he should have scored.

Awful crowd, barely 1,600 there despite what ICT claim.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with RiG, nothing remotely like 2300 there.  It's a shame because it was an good game to watch.

For the rest of the season we should be seeing some good games I think.  For our part, with the threat of relegation getting more and more distant we should be able to play with a bit less fear.  If we still have ambitions of the play offs then we have to win games.  But other teams in the mix also need to win rather than draw games so I think we are going to see pretty open games.  Win, lose or draw these games, I think there will be good entertainment as our rebuilt team continues to develop.  It seems to me there is every reason for folk to come along and enjoy the last few games of the season. 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

Agree with RiG, nothing remotely like 2300 there.  It's a shame because it was an good game to watch.

For the rest of the season we should be seeing some good games I think.  For our part, with the threat of relegation getting more and more distant we should be able to play with a bit less fear.  If we still have ambitions of the play offs then we have to win games.  But other teams in the mix also need to win rather than draw games so I think we are going to see pretty open games.  Win, lose or draw these games, I think there will be good entertainment as our rebuilt team continues to develop.  It seems to me there is every reason for folk to come along and enjoy the last few games of the season. 

Agreed. Coupled with this there should be some 'Pay what you can' and 'Bring a friend for free' type offers to boost attendance and atmosphere. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Caman  thinks well with his request that the club become more responsive to the needs to bring in punters. Not a  bad idea at all. Even if I think it will never be considered since  the Board will not think that it's a good idea and (in their view perhaps) would only start a trend.

As for allowing folks in for free. Well, that needs a lot more consideration  before saying yes. Nothing is free in this world and even paying a smaller, token, entry fee , is the better idea IMHO. Things that are offered free are not often appreciated to the full,  etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

Caman  thinks well with his request that the club become more responsive to the needs to bring in punters. Not a  bad idea at all. Even if I think it will never be considered since  the Board will not think that it's a good idea and (in their view perhaps) would only start a trend.

As for allowing folks in for free. Well, that needs a lot more consideration  before saying yes. Nothing is free in this world and even paying a smaller, token, entry fee , is the better idea IMHO. Things that are offered free are not often appreciated to the full,  etc.

Cheers. The bring a friend for free was done in the last game of the season v Motherwell in May. Without checking, think the attendance was over 5000.

Edit - Just checked was 5351. Granted there was the potential of avoiding relegation that day. 

Edited by Guest
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CELTIC1CALEY3 said:

Our current target is to concentrate on Saturday's game versus St Mirren.  Whether we like it or not, it is the toughest of the season. 

Im looking forward to it. We gave them a decent game last time out in Paisley and we are playing with confidence after last night. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Think we'd need 21 points from 9 games to be in with a shout of 4th. Not totally impossible, but would require a monumental change in fortunes. Key games are Dunfermline, QoS, Morton. Lose any of them, especially Morton, and the game is up. That's a tall order, but at least we're talking about that possibility and not the other play-off place now!

Link to post
Share on other sites

That was sweet revenge for the travesty of the opening game of the season. 

We were never in danger and really should have been out of sight. 

My boy George ( see what I did there?) had a great game, obviously got bored of waiting for something to happen and decided to make something happen instead. 

The first time he went in a run and at least drew a save,  he then somehow cocked up a free header, but then went on another run, leaving defenders in his wake and creating the goal.

He could possibly have had a tap-in in the second half, if Daniel had opted to cross instead of shoot. 

There was a palpable buzz around the ground when Daniel came on, a bit crazy the impact that this young lad has, but he's fearless, direct, and things happen when he's on the pitch. 

He had a mad few minutes, shot saved (should have squared it), got booked, then failed to connect with another cross.  His best chance was when somehow we ended up 3 v 2 but the keeper made a great save, from a difficult angle.

I'd love to see him and George get a full 90 minutes together. I suspect it would be carnage. 

Austin - jury is out for me. Showed some good touches, by all accounts his effort was going in before Oakley "intervened". But - he's made of crisps. Pretty sure he was hobbling about prior to being subbed?

I'm bemused by the vitriol from certain North Standers to Vigurs. Sure, he might not be quite as good as he thinks he is, and a lot of stuff doesn't come off, but pretty much everything comes through him. He bossed the cup final, and he was never far from the action last night.

 Donaldson, Warren and Ridgers were solid, and we never looked like we were going to let them score. 

I was surprised to see that Utd edged the possession, because we were so comfortable, I'd have had it at least 60/40 in our favour, apparently not. 

Who cares, 1-0, job done, let's do St Mirren.

Edited by NorthStandNoob
Austin is made of biscuits
  • Agree 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, NorthStandNoob said:

I was surprised to see that Utd edged the possession, because we were so comfortable, I'd have had it at least 60/40 in our favour, apparently not. 

I can't fathom that possession stat at all. Looked much more like the reverse from where I was sitting. 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, cif73 said:

I can't fathom that possession stat at all. Looked much more like the reverse from where I was sitting. 

Yep. Sure wasn't Rachel Riley doing the maths there!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, NorthStandNoob said:

Rachel from Friends, I think. At half time, it was 55-45 in our favour. I'd have had it 70-30. 

Lol :smile: the possession stat looks even more ridiculous looking at these highlights ... well done to George for the assist ... made up for the header miss of Ronnie Rosenthal epic proportions :smile:

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, Oakley up there with Rosenthal and Van Vossen with that miss. But we'll forgive him with his work for the goal and throughout the match. If he plays like that more often we should keep him. I didn't realise he had pace like that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. : Terms of Use : Guidelines : Privacy Policy