Highland Rugby Club

Robert

Good to see them putting a winning run together and now being in real contention for promotion 

Currently fourth, with games in hand against the teams above them and three of the last four games against teams much lower in the league.

Lets hope they make it!

Another win today sees them 6 off top and 3 off second with two games in hand. The two teams above them only have one game to play, and that is against each other next week, so it is looking promising that Highland will at least get second and possibly win their league.

• Like 1

Another win, so will either finish first or second. One point off the top with one game to play, with the current leaders having completed all their games.

So a win or draw against St Boswelks next week will see Highland win the league.

15 hours ago, Robert said:

Another win, so will either finish first or second. One point off the top with one game to play, with the current leaders having completed all their games.

So a win or draw against St Boswelks next week will see Highland win the league.

Robert... are you sure about that?  http://www.scottishrugby.org/fixtures-results/?competition=123795

Glasgow Accies have 88 points from their full programme. Highland have 87 and Newton Stewart 82, both with one to play and Highland have the better points difference by a margin of 52. So I reckon that there's still one permutation that could deny Highland promotion which is for Newton Stewart to win their final game with a bonus point, taking them also to 87 and for Highland to lose their last game (both at home to fifth placed St Boswells) without getting a try bonus, and for these results to wipe out Highland's points difference advantage.

That's a pretty formidable array of adverse circumstances, especially with Highland's last game at home to opponents 200 miles distant who have already failed to fulfil an away fixture, but still theoretically possible. But I agree, to win the league, Highland will need more than one point this Saturday since Accies have a slightly better points difference - ie a win or a draw, which I think is worth two points in rugby.

• Facepalm 1

It has taken a twist, as St Boswells not fulfilling tomorrow's game.

If I understood the BBC radio report (not by you Charles) correctly, they will be asked if they can fulfil it before the season ends. 

That seems unlikely as they have apparently failed to fulfil other recent games.

The outcome will either be that the game is awarded to Highland, who then win the league.

Or St Boswells are kicked out of the league and all their games are removed from the records. I believe that will also mean Highland win the league.

The Manager was extremely cheesed off in his interview about not being able to win the game and league on the pitch tomorrow,

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:31 PM, Robert said:

If I understood the BBC radio report (not by you Charles) correctly, they will be asked if they can fulfil it before the season ends. 

You did understand it correctly Robert. The news broke after my own stuff went out earlier in the day.

At time of writing, the SRU have rescheduled the game for this Saturday (May 5) and Dave Carson the Highland coach has asked for confirmation of whether or not St Boswells will fulfil it no later than Wednesday. If they don't do so and their results are all scrapped, Highland go up as champions after the necessary points adjustments. If they do play, then the scenario is as described at the top of this thread - subject also to St Boswells also fulfilling the fixture they defaulted on earlier at Newton Stewart.

St Boswells have got considerable "form" over a period of years when it comes to defaulting on fixtures and fielding ineligible players and Dave is (rightly, in my view) also saying that if they don't meet these last two fixtures, they should be chucked out of rugby completely for a year.

There really is no excuse for this. Dave makes the point that this isn't 2nd or 3rd XV stuff - it's National League rugby and clubs aspiring to this top club level should be expected to fulfil certain standards. Highland, who want to progress by playing here and not by default, spent a lot of money in preparations for yesterday's game which would have attracted a big crowd, and all they got for their trouble was a few beers and an afternoon of touch rugby.

I'm no fan of Rugby but I do like to see local teams / individuals do well in any sport.  I don't know the background to St Boswell's defaulting but on the face of it, it seems quite bizarre..  It is not as though they  are the whipping boys of the league.  They are in the top half and were contenders for the title earlier in the season. Risking being thrown out of the league seems suicidal for a club which would appear to be in a position many other clubs would envy.  It really would be cruel if Highland are forced to play the match and then end up losing, although somehow I think that is highly unlikely.

Edited by DoofersDad

Highland thrash their hapless opponents 71-10 to win promotion as champions in front of a sizeable crowd at the Canal Park. Almost reminiscent of the charge up the divisions to the top league in the 1970s when thousands crammed into the Northern Meeting Park and Inverness was briefly seized by rugby fever.

Well done to all concerned. A possibility of top flight football in two different codes in Inverness the season after next. I rather suspect that there will be more than a few hangovers tomorrow morning.

Edited by Kingsmills

I enjoyed a brilliant afternoon down at the Rugby Club on Saturday. The performance was awesome and the atmosphere electric, with beer being liberally and quite harmlessly quaffed throughout by a great group of supporters.  It quite reminded me of the Meeting Park in 1976, albeit with a somewhat smaller crowd.

Well done to a Highland side which is looking leaner, fitter and sharper as time goes by - but I'm still wondering who or what this "Meals On Wheels" is which seemed to be the subject of several good natured chants. :lol:

• 4 months later...