Toronto FC - 2018

Scotty

Trying to keep all my Toronto FC postings in here ... apart from the odd mention in the matchday threads !

ccl_logo.jpgAfter winning it all last season ... and becoming the first team in MLS history to do the treble of domestic cup (Canadian Championship), Supporters Shield (equivalent to league champions) and MLS Cup ... there is a 4th trophy on the wish-list this year for TFC.  The CONCACAF Champions League.

This is the equivalent of the UEFA Champions League albeit not to the same quality but does still feature some strong teams from Mexico and other Central American and Caribbean countries and provides the winner with entry to the Club World Cup to be staged in Dubai in December.

For the last 9 years it has been won by Mexican teams and on 7 of those occasions it was Mexican -V- Mexican teams in the final ! Only Salt Lake and Montreal from MLS have competed in the final in the last 10 years. 

So far this year TFC have edged out MLS rivals Colorado Rapids as well as current Liga MX Apertura champions Tigres UANL. On Tuesday they faced perennial powerhouses Club America who are 7 time winners of the Champions League and 12 time Liga MX winners. In typical CONCACAF fashion it was a rip-roarer of a night. The rain was pelting down, TFC won 3-1, there were accusations by the Mexican coach of Police brutality and that the referee made them change their underwear (!!!?) and from TFC manager that one of ours got an elbow to the face in the tunnel at half-time. The CCTV footage should be fun to watch when they release it .... Next week its off to Mexico and the famed Azteca stadium for the 2nd leg ... or in my case, a beer in front of the TV !   

Its a standing joke about the officiating in Mexico and 3-1 may not be a big enough cushion ... but TFC fans were heartened when CONCACAF announced yesterday that the ref for this game will not be from CONCACAF but one of the top rated FIFA refs from the Asian Federation. Its part of a new referee exchange programme between the two federations [source]  

Took a ton of pictures at the game on Tuesday : click the image below to get to my Flickr Album for anyone interested

2018CCL05-TFC-V-ClubAmerica

• Facepalm 1

Lots of good pictures there. Your thumb must be sore from winding all the films on :lol: [oh when I wuz a lad] I was never any good at taking sporting shots especially football. I always seemed to miss the best bits.

1 hour ago, Renegade said:

No shop open at BMO Field.  Found this out myself when I turned up there one afternoon last month!

RealSports at the Air Canada Centre / MLSE Headquarters has merchandise for all their teams (Raptors, Maple Leafs, TFC) . The matchday shops are inside the ground and open when there is a game on ... Sportchek, National Sports, and various other retailers all stock the tops, tshirts and hoodies as well.  

Despite the success of TFC they are still the 'lesser' team in MLSE eyes ... The Maple Leafs and Raptors who play at the ACC are the golden boys and i guess get more retail space because they both play in that venue. The retail outlets in the stadium on game day are pretty well stocked. I usually buy my stuff at the stadium (15% discount for season ticket holders) or at National Sports where it is less expensive than official outlets even including the discount. The 'champions' stuff and replica tops with the gold star above the crest have been selling out almost as quickly as they come in. 

MLS also changed the approved online merchandise providers to 'FANatics' recently. The online store is pretty good and a flat rate of $24.95 shipping for international orders. https://www.mlsstore.com/toronto-fc/t-47126986+z-9389073-83814288