Scotty

Pretty straightforward win for us yesterday. Well taken goals by Austin and Oakley (another Polworth assist - GIUY haters) really killed the game off by the half time. A couple of Dobbie efforts in the second half were about as close as QotS came to getting a goal. We still had good chances from Doran and Mackay to extend our lead. Small but vocal away support. It was a slog getting there from Edinburgh so fair play to those coming down from Inverness.

Edited by RiG
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Yngwie said:

That scenario involves us winning all 8 of our April fixtures - 2 down, 6 to go! Unfortunately our longest winning streak this league season stands at just 2....

Which is why we won't make the play offs this season. However, that doesn't stop me enjoying and being encouraged by our current, albeit too late in the season, run of success.

Not sure to be fair if Caley can get into the playoff stages since they had such a poor performance for such a large amount of the season but it is still possible I think to make it happen and most of the other clubs in the league are running out of stream like Dundee United got beat 3-2.

22 hours ago, RiG said:

(another Polworth assist - GIUY haters) 

Polworth now has 21 assists in all competitions this season.  He's also scored four goals.  We've scored 59 goals in all competitions, meaning that he has had a direct hand in 42% of our goals.  That's not taking into account other goals that he's had a hand in, such as the goal of the season against Dundee Utd at Tannadice.  I haven't gone through and confirmed it but he's probably had a hand in half our goals.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, ictchris said:

Polworth now has 21 assists in all competitions this season.  He's also scored four goals.  We've scored 59 goals in all competitions, meaning that he has had a direct hand in 42% of our goals.  That's not taking into account other goals that he's had a hand in, such as the goal of the season against Dundee Utd at Tannadice.  I haven't gone through and confirmed it but he's probably had a hand in half our goals.

He could've scored all 59 goals and it still would'nt be enough for some of the Aholes who shout abuse every week. It's only when he goes, and he will, that his contribution that so many are blind to, will be recognised.

• Agree 7

In the last few years one thing that’s become quite prevalent is that we seem to have a significant proportion of fans who are desperate for players to fail almost instantly. Polworth, Vigurs, Wedderburn and Tremarco come to mind. 

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, AncientMariner said:

He could've scored all 59 goals and it still would'nt be enough for some of the Aholes who shout abuse every week. It's only when he goes, and he will, that his contribution that so many are blind to, will be recognised.

Yes...I was thinking only the other day, watching the latest highlights, how important to us Polworths' efforts are, and how clever he is. Being in the centre of midfield he is bound to get caught up in the odd mistake/loss of the ball. May be not quite as eye-catching as Ryan Christie was but becoming as much or more influential. (I guess RC has a 'special' status, because of his dad) We tend to rave over Daniel Mackay, but also forget that Polworth is also 'one of our own', and really starting to develop. Overall we absolutely must ensure we keep one or both of Polworth/Vigurs next year, preferably both as they make a great pairing in the middle.

• Agree 3

Have heard many people in the game (who are far more knowledgeable and better qualified to comment than me) state that they believe Polworth's all round ability is better than that of Ryan Christie.....it's just that, for whatever reason, we've only ever got glimpses of his full potential.

29 minutes ago, CaleyD said:

Have heard many people in the game (who are far more knowledgeable and better qualified to comment than me) state that they believe Polworth's all round ability is better than that of Ryan Christie.....it's just that, for whatever reason, we've only ever got glimpses of his full potential.

Some guys need a bit more man-management and guidance to stay focussed and do the right stuff consistently......perhaps Robbo is the man for that?

In some ways, Polwoth is a victim of his own work rate and ambition.  His work rate is phenomenal and whilst he is not a great ball winner he chases people down at great speed and is then always looking for the ball and to drive the game forward.  The thing is that his mistakes are much more visible than other players both because he gets so much of the  ball and because he tries to be more ambitious with it.  When his ambition fails we get groans from the stands and it is clear that it is Polworth who has played the ball and it is Polworth who gets the blame.  Fans tend not to notice that the failure of the pass to find its target might have been a well anticipated interception by a defender or a failure of a team mate to read the pass.  And then when the pass does find it's target and it results in a goal, we all celebrate the scorer and we don't stop and think who played him in or set up the move in the first place.  In other words, people notice it much more when what he does goes wrong than when it goes right.  The fact is, we're a much better side with Polworth in it.

Vigurs is a very different player and it is not really fair to compare the two.  Personally I think Vigurs is the more influential player but if we could only retain one of them, I would go for Polworth. It's hard to believe, but the lad's still only 23 and has the potential to be a key player for us for years to come - or the source of substantial transfer income with the right contract.

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

In some ways, Polwoth is a victim of his own work rate and ambition.  His work rate is phenomenal and whilst he is not a great ball winner he chases people down at great speed and is then always looking for the ball and to drive the game forward.  The thing is that his mistakes are much more visible than other players both because he gets so much of the  ball and because he tries to be more ambitious with it.  When his ambition fails we get groans from the stands and it is clear that it is Polworth who has played the ball and it is Polworth who gets the blame.  Fans tend not to notice that the failure of the pass to find its target might have been a well anticipated interception by a defender or a failure of a team mate to read the pass.  And then when the pass does find it's target and it results in a goal, we all celebrate the scorer and we don't stop and think who played him in or set up the move in the first place.  In other words, people notice it much more when what he does goes wrong than when it goes right.  The fact is, we're a much better side with Polworth in it.

Vigurs is a very different player and it is not really fair to compare the two.  Personally I think Vigurs is the more influential player but if we could only retain one of them, I would go for Polworth. It's hard to believe, but the lad's still only 23 and has the potential to be a key player for us for years to come - or the source of substantial transfer income with the right contract.

DD - I agree. I have been critical of Polworth in the past but do agree we would be a poorer team without him. I hope he stays and is not playing his last few games for us. 

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic
On 10/04/2018 at 7:44 PM, Caman said:

DD - I agree. I have been critical of Polworth in the past but do agree we would be a poorer team without him. I hope he stays and is not playing his last few games for us. 

Ditto to that