Inverness CT -V- Dunfermline

Scotty

I bet if we had been a goal down there wouldn't have been 6 minutes added time. The only surprise is Dunfermline didn't get a penalty. Still on a great unbeaten run but that does seem a small crumb of comfort just now. Time to become temporary Dumbarton supporters.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Ten4 said:

Touchy Touchy !  There were at least 4 others deserving of MOM , Austin, Chalmers, Trafford and, Oakley the best of them!

I don't think that was the only part of your post that people have taken umbrage with :lol:

• Agree 1

For 15mins in the second half we were on fire but that 3rd goal just wouldn't come and we paid the price with that last gasp equaliser. Ultimately our early season form left us with just a bit too much to do. Credit to all the players for the recent winning run though, they've been immense! 

Hope we can keep this squad together for another title push next season. Sad to say I don't expect we will and some will leave.

Special mention to Higginbotham, I think?, who decided it would be a good idea to slam the ball into the home fans in the north stand after dunfermline's opening goal! Scummy wee nyaff! 

• Agree 7

Heartbroken, tears, heads gone etc. There was only one team winning that yet for some reason we completely took our foot off the gas and started time wasting and we gradually became more and more panicky when we had the ball. Instead of taking the ball down and finding a team mate we started hurriedly clearing balls high in the air showing no composure whatsoever in the final ten minutes or so.

Poor defending for the opener. Seedorf was being roasted down the right to start with so it was no surprise that the goal originated from there. Can't really remember it actually with everything else that happened during the game but I don't think Ridgers had much of a chance. Nice equaliser from Chalmers with a free kick. His set pieces were abysmal today but the one that did come off saw us bag a goal.

Second half we should have been out of sight. Lovely equaliser from Austin and, as mentioned above, we seemed to lose our way a bit after he went off. Whilst Oakley still caused a few problems for the Pars centre backs Mackay wasn't as good as Austin was at getting the ball down and running at them. Our best chance to kill the game came when Doran worked the ball from the left to Mackay but he curled a shot just wide of the post.

As renegade mentions I think we made the wrong subs today. Whilst Austin might have had to come off due to injury I think Mackay was the wrong choice (easy to say with hindsight of course) and Doran was playing really well when he went off which also saw us regress a fair bit. Calder just didn't really carry the ball away from danger when he took his place on the left flank. I'm not his biggest fan but with his pace Mulraney would have been a real asset with all the space Dunfermline were leaving behind their back line. Again, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

In the end with Dunfermline throwing the proverbial kitchen sink at us we finally buckled. Couldn't see what happened but it looked like we failed to deal with a high ball pumped into the box and it was scrambled home from close range. Absolutely gutting but in a bizarre way I'm almost relieved as I couldn't take another two games like today in the next week. Hopefully we can keep a good chunk of this squad and have a good go next season but with rumours abound that the vultures are circling over some key players who are out of contract in the next few weeks I'm not too sure that we will keep said important players.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, cif73 said:

Sick and tired of referees directly affecting football results. Soft free kick led to equaliser. Dunfermline is another street-wise central belt team that:

1. foul and get away with it and

2. fall to get the free kick. 

Just feel like there is almost systemic bias against us sometimes.

Finnie  never gives us anything. He should be ashamed of himself as to how biased he was today and probably cost us a place in playoffs .

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

At least 3 or 4 soft free kicks in the last 6 minutes seemed the referee was determined to give the Pars the little help that they needed. Although it's fair to say the resulting goal was not very well defended on our part and we invited them onto us by sitting so deep as the game wore on. Thought we might have seen Mulraney towards the end try and stretch them a bit at the back.

Pretty f****ed off at the moment, stayed for the presentations that nobody really looked that interested in. Not surprising really.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ten4 said:

Draw was fair result BUT we should've stepped up as they were there for the taking. Polworth MOM you must be joking! 

1 hour ago, CaleyMax said:

Booooooooooooo!

46 minutes ago, Ten4 said:

Touchy Touchy !  There were at least 4 others deserving of MOM , Austin, Chalmers, Trafford and, Oakley the best of them!

Sorry to explain my post. But my response was for ALL of your post. Hope this clear things up!!!.

Some folk are starting to sound like old firm fans. If it wasn’t for the refereeing conspiracy we’d be in the champions league!!

The fact is, the league doesn’t lie. However admirable this run has been recently the damage was done earlier in the season. Some dreadful results near the start. We’ve had the ability to get into the playoffs, even challenge at the top. But too many poor performances, especially after losing the first goal in games have done us in for this season. Discipline was also questionable for half the season. I’d be optimistic for next season though, if we can keep the vast majority of the current squad. But we’ll have to wait and see what we can afford. It isn’t looking good in that regard either sadly.

• Agree 5

Mission Impossible is not over yet but it's far more likely that we'll get wins at Livi and Morton than Brechin will at East End Park.

It was a huge ask to get the sixth in a row today against an in-form Pars side who had as much at stake as we did. Gutted but immensely proud of the guys that they have got so close to pulling it off - take a bow chaps, you deserve it :notworthy: :clapoverhead:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yep,   just another game where we should have transferred pressure to goals but a lack of composure and skill let us down!!!

Young Mackay was a poor sub choice, the game was screaming for somebody wide  and Mulraney was the obvious player to bring on, it was too big a game for the young lad.

To get our noses in front a look pretty comfortable , it was sickening to lose a goal so late,  it was always going to be a big ask to win all our last 7-8 games but the players did so well,  can't see how they can lift themselves for the last two games!

There are too many players who are just not good enough, and that's the bottom line i'm afraid.  

Another rebuilding exercise coming up shortly.

17 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

Have we ever had such a case of a draw feeling like a defeat?!

I haven't felt like that since Kane equalised for Engerlund against us last June. Was at that match also. Same gut wrenching feeling today. 

Well done lads for your hard work. So close........

30 minutes ago, caley100 said:

Yep,   just another game where we should have transferred pressure to goals but a lack of composure and skill let us down!!!

Young Mackay was a poor sub choice, the game was screaming for somebody wide  and Mulraney was the obvious player to bring on, it was too big a game for the young lad.

To get our noses in front a look pretty comfortable , it was sickening to lose a goal so late,  it was always going to be a big ask to win all our last 7-8 games but the players did so well,  can't see how they can lift themselves for the last two games!

There are too many players who are just not good enough, and that's the bottom line i'm afraid.  

Another rebuilding exercise coming up shortly.

Crucial chances were missed,  but that's football. Rebuilding? We'll be doing well to keep this team together I'm afraid. 

Edited by Guest

A hugely entertaining game with almost a bizzare ending, the announcer says six mins extra time and we only get three?I

Charlie Trafford my mom and please can we keep hold of Nathan Austin a natural goalscorer that every team needs

What a sickener.  Another great team performance but we must now refocus and win midweek to put the pressure back on Dunfermline.  They should beat Dumbarton comfortably but knowing they have to get something out of the game might make them very edgy.  Stranger things have happened.

But back to today.  That is the 2nd time recently I have thought at half time that the referee was doing well only for my view to be completely changed later in the second half when it looked as though we might actually win.  There were some very soft awards given against us, but pulling shirts and wrestling players to the ground right in front of the referee went unpunished the other way.  Having said that, we had plenty of opportunities to get a 3rd when Dunfermline were chasing the game and ultimately we only had our selves to blame.  We could, and should have won that which is really what makes loosing at the death so hard to take.  No complaints at the length of injury time though, that was a nasty clash of heads between Oakley and Mvoto

We missed Vigurs in midfield but Trafford came in and did a pretty good job.  Chalmers too was pretty solid and between the two of them they often worked the ball out of tight positions.  But the stars for me were again the front pairing of Oakley and Austin. They pulled defenders this way and that and constantly harried when Dunfermline lost possession.  Robbo said earlier in the season that improving the defensive record was a matter for the whole team.  If defenders and defensive midfielders are constantly put under pressure then they make mistakes and potential attacks are nipped in the bud.  That is what Oakley in particular and Austin do so well.  Austin seems to be a more composed finisher and created a goal for himself out of nothing today.

I stayed for the rather subdued presentation ceremony at the end.  Very well deserved awards for Col Donaldson and Iain Vigurs.  The two of them are worthy winners but I would add that the other star performer this season has been Mark Ridgers.  After a rather shaky start he has been absolutely outstanding.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

13 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

A hugely entertaining game with almost a bizzare ending, the announcer says six mins extra time and we only get three?I

Charlie Trafford my mom and please can we keep hold of Nathan Austin a natural goalscorer that every team needs

Announcements can/should only be made when there's a break in play so it may not have been said on or before the 90 minute mark...it also takes time for the info to filter upstairs as there's no board goes up for it in the Championship.

I'm too upset to even comment on anything given how it happened when it did. Sickener, deserved winners of the best game of football I've witnessed at the TCS all season. Proud to be a caley fan tonight though, boys gave us everything they had today 

• Like 1

That late late goal was a crushing blow and, although it's still arethmetically possible for us to make the play offs, realistically, we are consigned to another year in the Championship.

However, the results and, more particularly, the commitment and performances in the last few weeks, lead me to look forward to next season with much more enthusiasm and confidence than would have been the case a month ago.

If we can keep this squad together and start next season  as we are finishing this, then Premiership football back in Inverness in season 2019-20 is a very distinct possibility. After today's results, another distinct possibility is the opportunity to beat Ross County four times next season on the way to the Championship title.

Hugely disappointed in the points being stolen from us today but immensely proud to be an ICT fan. We may not now be promoted but we have at last reversed years of steady decline.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Water under the bridge I guess. As I have said before, apart from St Mirren, none of the other teams are any great shakes. We should have been comfortably in the play off positions long before our late late run.

Hope we get our act together over the close season in preparation for a title winning season...................

2 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

What a sickener.  Another great team performance but we must now refocus and win midweek to put the pressure back on Dunfermline.  They should beat Dumbarton comfortably but knowing they have to get something out of the game might make them very edgy.  Stranger things have happened.

But back to today.  That is the 2nd time recently I have thought at half time that the referee was doing well only for my view to be completely changed later in the second half when it looked as though we might actually win.  There were some very soft awards given against us, but pulling shirts and wrestling players to the ground right in front of the referee went unpunished the other way.  Having said that, we had plenty of opportunities to get a 3rd when Dunfermline were chasing the game and ultimately we only had our selves to blame.  We could, and should have won that which is really what makes loosing at the death so hard to take.  No complaints at the length of injury time though, that was a nasty clash of heads between Oakley and Mvoto

We missed Vigurs in midfield but Trafford came in and did a pretty good job.  Chalmers too was pretty solid and between the two of them they often worked the ball out of tight positions.  But the stars for me were again the front pairing of Oakley and Austin. They pulled defenders this way and that and constantly harried when Dunfermline lost possession.  Robbo said earlier in the season that improving the defensive record was a matter for the whole team.  If defenders and defensive midfielders are constantly put under pressure then they make mistakes and potential attacks are nipped in the bud.  That is what Oakley in particular and Austin do so well.  Austin seems to be a more composed finisher and created a goal for himself out of nothing today.

I stayed for the rather subdued presentation ceremony at the end.  Very well deserved awards for Col Donaldson and Iain Vigurs.  The two of them are worthy winners but I would add that the other star performer this season has been Mark Ridgers.  After a rather shaky start he has been absolutely outstanding.

Good balanced review and pleased to see my view of the referee so eloquently vindicated. No old firm persecution complex here @Sir C the 3rd... just bemused frustration.

Proud of the team today.  They gave their all but as we all know the damage was done at the start of the season.

The positives for me are:

The genuine team spirit

Ridgers - class keeper

Austin - looks like he can score goals

Donaldson - Is going to get better and better

A great midfield of Vigurs and Polworth.

• Agree 1

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic