New Signing

CaleyD

1 hour ago, Alan Simpson said:

Heard a rumour today Vigurs is going to County fckin hope not also tho heard wer interested in David Goodwillie wonder what kinda reception he'd get!

No matter how dire our situation, I sincerely hope that, as a family club, we don't stoop so low as to sign a player who has been judicially determined to be a rapist.

If we did, I and my family, would not attend any games whilst he was on the books.

• Agree 8

1 hour ago, Kingsmills said:

No matter how dire our situation, I sincerely hope that, as a family club, we don't stoop so low as to sign a player who has been judicially determined to be a rapist.

If we did, I and my family, would not attend any games whilst he was on the books.

come on Kingsmills - since when have we been a "family club"? Agreed, If true, I don't thing Goodwillie would be a popular signing.

• Agree 2

QotS comments on Rooney:

Happy he's going tbh. If Robertson is after a tall RB who can't header, mark, cross, puts his foot in at stupid times and has little to no positional sense then he's got his man. 

He does make some entertaining runs forward every so often and I don't think he was ever stopped on his rampages so you'll enjoy them. I want a defender who can defend though and he really isn't very good at that. I think he may be a handy player at RM if given time. It'll be interesting to see how he does.

He is a good character and exciting when he has the ball at his feet. A set piece threat too but the reason he hasnt played that often (many of those 23 appearances were late sub appearances) is because his defending just isnt good enough for this level. Positionally unaware and so many silly free kicks. I would have been strongly tempted to persevere with him in a right wing role to keep him away from the back line. We tried it a couple of times but didnt stick with it. Will be interesting to see if thats where Robertson plays him or if he thinks he can coach defending into him when Naysmith and McNamara couldnt.

Sorry he is leaving but not  probably currently in our best eleven.

Good going forward but not a great defender. Too many silly mistakes but he’s still young and will hopefully learn. Good luck to the fella

Very raw but has all the physical attributes to be a real talent with the right coaching. Tall, strong and fast. He also loves a rampaging run forward.

Down sides are his positional sense is as bad as I’ve seen, always caught wrong side. This leads to him giving away multiple avoidable fouls.

He reminds me a lot of Kevin Holt. The key difference being Holt was given a regular run and improved massively over time. Rooney has done neither.

It’s probably 50/50 whether he’ll make it at this level. I’d have been happy enough for him to stay, but equally I’m not too fussed he’s gone.

Wish him well though, he seems an honest big lad.

Probably best used in strong attacking teams chasing promotion where defending is minimal. For me he would be a great player in a full time team in a part time league. I wish him well and hope he does a job for you guys although not against us. 

Edited by RiG

Shaun Rooney 13-08-2016 1.jpg
Rooney playing for York City in 2016
Personal information
Full name Shaun Antony Rooney[1]
Date of birth 26 July 1996 (age 21)[2]
Place of birth Bellshill, Scotland
Height 6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)[2]
Playing position Defender
Club information
Current team
Inverness Caledonian Thistle
Number TBC
Youth career
2010–2013 Dundee United
Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
2013–2015 Queen's Park 32 (4)
2015–2016 Dunfermline Athletic 11 (1)
2016–2017 York City 30 (1)
2017–2018 Queen of the South 23 (0)
2018- Inverness Caledonian Thistle 0 (0)

'Borrowed' this from Wikipedia. He's a big boy lol. Already on there as one of us!! :ictscarf:

Young players need regular first team football and a manager who believes in them. Most of the best Caley signings over the years weren't highly thought of before they came. Not too concerned about negative comments from Queens fans. 6'3, rough around the edges, rampaging runs from right back - sounds like we're signing a 21 year old Ross Tokely! :crazy: 

Edited by AlexJones
  • Funny 2

On 24/04/2018 at 7:30 PM, Kingsmills said:

Scaremongering on this forum and elsewhere is unlikely to help in that regard.

On 24/04/2018 at 6:00 PM, CaleyD said:

All players will have had cuts built in to their contracts to account for relegation.  It seems that there is a need to cut things further than that though.

With a Chairman stating a need for inward investment to ensure the clubs immediate future and a manager talking about a need for further budget cuts....I'm not sure we are going to be seen as anything like a secure option at the moment.

Why is this scaremongering when both statements have already been made?. Everybody knows finances will be tighter next season not helped by poor crowd numbers this season especially if they continue into next. 

Key quote for me is : Very raw but has all the physical attributes to be a real talent with the right coaching

If he has talent/skill then the rest can be taught/learned if he is willing to work hard at it and has the right attitude.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Key quote for me is : Very raw but has all the physical attributes to be a real talent with the right coaching

If he has talent/skill then the rest can be taught/learned if he is willing to work hard at it and has the right attitude.

Agreed. That has to be the way to go rather than signing thirty year old journeymen who may be committed enough but never likely to rise above the mediocrity that's marked their careers to date.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Huisdean said:

Why is this scaremongering when both statements have already been made?. Everybody knows finances will be tighter next season not helped by poor crowd numbers this season especially if they continue into next. 

I actually think there's every chance crowd numbers will be considerably higher this season. There was a massive drop off of numbers not just due to relegation itself but fans simply refusing to have any affiliation with the club after the whole Foran fiasco and the shocking way the club was run in the lead up to the end of the season. If you include also the boards ridiculous handling of the season ticket pricing at the start of this season and the subsequent furore that ensued, is it any wonder so many stayed away. From what I've heard and from people I've spoken to, I firmly believe the occasional fans are starting to turn their heads again and giving, even this late run of terrific form, are no longer feeling the embarrassment of being associated with a club that were in a huge mess and the inevitable disengagement that followed, but are now starting to take real pride and interest in the way the players and coaching staff have conducted themselves, especially in the latter half of the season. Finishing on a high on Saturday whatever that is, will give everyone a renewed passion for the club going into next season, and if the board can take the time and really think how best to price and market the season tickets and merchandise for next season, i believe we will have much more passion and willingness from all supporters going into what very well could be a very exciting year for the club 

Edited by CableGuy
  • Agree 4

We have a core fanbase. Win games in the championship, extra 3-500 onto home gate. Lose games 3-500 off the average. 

If we win games in the premiership, extra 500-1500. 

Lose games in the premiership down by 500-1000. 

Winning run of games bring more fans. Losing run of games, loses fans. But the core support will always be there. 

• Agree 1

On 26/04/2018 at 6:52 AM, CableGuy said:

I actually think there's every chance crowd numbers will be considerably higher this season. There was a massive drop off of numbers not just due to relegation itself but fans simply refusing to have any affiliation with the club after the whole Foran fiasco and the shocking way the club was run in the lead up to the end of the season. If you include also the boards ridiculous handling of the season ticket pricing at the start of this season and the subsequent furore that ensued, is it any wonder so many stayed away. From what I've heard and from people I've spoken to, I firmly believe the occasional fans are starting to turn their heads again and giving, even this late run of terrific form, are no longer feeling the embarrassment of being associated with a club that were in a huge mess and the inevitable disengagement that followed, but are now starting to take real pride and interest in the way the players and coaching staff have conducted themselves, especially in the latter half of the season. Finishing on a high on Saturday whatever that is, will give everyone a renewed passion for the club going into next season, and if the board can take the time and really think how best to price and market the season tickets and merchandise for next season, i believe we will have much more passion and willingness from all supporters going into what very well could be a very exciting year for the club 

I think you missed out the season ticket cost effect. My cousin and his son who were long term ST holders refused to pay the price  demanded and wrote to the chairman explaining why they were not renewing. The fact that the board back tracked on the ST price and made promises conditional upon promotion shows that this was a major issue for many fans. I would like to know what the drop in ST numbers was. I don't believe embarrassment comes into it, long term ICT fans could never be accused of being glory hunters, we came from the Highland league and we could go back there one day, many on this forum feared successive demotions and the very real prospect of part time football. It still wouldn't stop me from being an ICT supporter.

15 hours ago, wynthank15 said:

I think you missed out the season ticket cost effect. My cousin and his son who were long term ST holders refused to pay the price  demanded and wrote to the chairman explaining why they were not renewing. The fact that the board back tracked on the ST price and made promises conditional upon promotion shows that this was a major issue for many fans. I would like to know what the drop in ST numbers was. I don't believe embarrassment comes into it, long term ICT fans could never be accused of being glory hunters, we came from the Highland league and we could go back there one day, many on this forum feared successive demotions and the very real prospect of part time football. It still wouldn't stop me from being an ICT supporter.

Even more interesting for me would be what kind of analysis was undertaken by the board regarding this and what the action plan was to try and change it.

On 24/04/2018 at 9:44 PM, Kingsmills said:

100% agree....I can't see it hapoening anyway, to be honest.

On 25/04/2018 at 8:43 AM, RiG said:

QotS comments on Rooney:

This is where we're at - improving players who haven't set the heather on fire at their previous team. Think the key word is 'potential'....Robbo must see potential there. On the sort of budget we're operating on, we're never going to attract big name 'established' players..

As another poster made the point - Falkirk binned Nathan Austin, which looks like a clanger, on their part!

Yes. Another player that has been a good surprise is Donaldson. Back when he signed for us, a Dundee Utd supporting acquaintance referred to him as a "bomb scare".

He has become a worthy young player of the year for us.

Edited by cif73
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, cif73 said:

Yes. Another player that has been a good surprise is Donaldson. Back when he signed for us, a Dundee Utd acquaintance referred to him as a "bomb scare".

He has become a worthy young player of the year for us.

In a way given that he was injured for most of the year, Elbouzedi is almost like a new signing..... next season could be the 'breakthrough' season

• Agree 1

On 24/04/2018 at 9:44 PM, Kingsmills said:

I couldn't agree more - I wouldn't be renewing my season ticket either! Would bring the club much unwelcome media attention as well. 

Kinda puts the signing of Sandy Robertson , many years ago, in the shade...

We need to tell the club loud & clear NOT to go near Goodwillie with a barge pole! 

However (hopefully) this is just a silly rumour....

3 hours ago, HawkeyeTheGnu said:

If we have a genuine right back in the team, it will be interesting to see what Seedorf does further forward. There seemed to be a little promise when he was pushed up for a bit on Saturday. 

I hope so - will he good to see Brad Mckay playing as a centre half too...he is a good solid centre half, but certainly not a right back!