Who would you like to see at ICT next season?

Alan Simpson

I heartily endorse the McCart signing. I thought he was the most impressive (or, more accurately, the least hopeless) of the players Foran used at centre-back. Given he's only 21 this month, there's plenty room for improvement too. At the very least he offers good depth.

It does make me wonder about how Robbo's tactics for next season. Whilst we've signed Rooney, he may still be planning to use Brad McKay as a right-back, perhaps in a similar fashion to how Aberdeen use Considine as left-back to offer an attacking threat at the back post rather than for width in possession.

An alternative possibility is that he wants to play three at the back, with McCart, Donaldson and McKay. Donaldson in particular is very comfortable stepping into midfield with the ball...which may compensate for the lack of a deep-lying playmaker. Could this be the solution to life without Vigurs?

20 hours ago, Yngwie said:

Good signing! Interesting that we have “agreed terms with Celtic” to get him. Hard to imagine that we would pay anything more than a nominal fee. Maybe a sell on clause instead?

Hope so...look at how Dundee Utd managed to get a substantial amount of cash from the sell on clause they had when Andy Robertson was sold on.

7 minutes ago, jingsmonty said:

Hope so...look at how Dundee Utd managed to get a substantial amount of cash from the sell on clause they had when Andy Robertson was sold on.

I think he means a sell on clause for the benefit of Celtic.

Great to see Jamie McCart back. He was here at a rough time, but I liked his attitude and application. Even when only a sub, his half time warm up routine showed his commitment.

Whether this has any bearing on Gary Warren staying or not, time will tell, but we now have cover in all the back four positions.

it will be fascinating to see who become our first picks: Mckay and Donaldson are a solid pairing, but will McCart start ahead of Mckay? Will Mckay be first pick at right back ahead of Rooney?

Roll on 14 July and our first cup game! 

Edited by Robert
  • Like 1

Might we start with 3 at the back? I think a back 3 of Mckay, Donaldson and McCart is very solid on paper. From what I've read from QoTS fans, Rooney is very good going forwards but a bit suspect at the back, so a Right Wing Back role might be a shout. This would also free Tremarco to bomb down the left - we all know what an attacking threat he can be. 

I liked the look of Oakley and Austin together up front towards the end of the season, so a 3-5-2 is a way of keeping them in the team together again. 

Trafford would sit deep when need be, whilst Polworth and Doran would be given a bit more of a license to play further forwards. I've never really liked 3 at the back, but I think for the first time we have 3 good enough CB's to be able to play it. My only concern is that Polworth and Doran are more attack minded players, so it might leave us a bit more open, however, we do have 5 defenders on the pitch so I wonder if that would compensate for it. If we're being cut open a bit, we could always push Doran further forwards, drop one of the strikers and put Chalmers in the middle.

Ridgers

Mckay            Donaldson        McCart

Rooney                                                      Tremarco

Polworth      Trafford     Doran

Oakley               Austin

Thoughts?

Edited by CaleyThistle
  • Agree 1

Its interesting that mccart will be our smallest central defender. 

I have a sneaky suspicion that some of the players we have signed will not be playing in their core positions. I even think the formation will be very interesting. 

Donaldson in midfield as a libero? Mcart in midfield?

Two wing backs. 

4 2 3 1 again?

Really interesting start to season  i think. 

2 hours ago, Moogthurso said:

Its interesting that mccart will be our smallest central defender. 

I have a sneaky suspicion that some of the players we have signed will not be playing in their core positions. I even think the formation will be very interesting. 

Donaldson in midfield as a libero? Mcart in midfield?

Two wing backs. 

4 2 3 1 again?

Really interesting start to season  i think. 

As long as it's not interesting in the way that last season's start to the season was ?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/15/2018 at 10:55 PM, CaleyThistle said:

Might we start with 3 at the back? I think a back 3 of Mckay, Donaldson and McCart is very solid on paper. From what I've read from QoTS fans, Rooney is very good going forwards but a bit suspect at the back, so a Right Wing Back role might be a shout. This would also free Tremarco to bomb down the left - we all know what an attacking threat he can be. 

I liked the look of Oakley and Austin together up front towards the end of the season, so a 3-5-2 is a way of keeping them in the team together again. 

Trafford would sit deep when need be, whilst Polworth and Doran would be given a bit more of a license to play further forwards. I've never really liked 3 at the back, but I think for the first time we have 3 good enough CB's to be able to play it. My only concern is that Polworth and Doran are more attack minded players, so it might leave us a bit more open, however, we do have 5 defenders on the pitch so I wonder if that would compensate for it. If we're being cut open a bit, we could always push Doran further forwards, drop one of the strikers and put Chalmers in the middle.

Ridgers

Mckay            Donaldson        McCart

Rooney                                                      Tremarco

Polworth      Trafford     Doran

Oakley               Austin

Thoughts?

Must say I like the mid three of Polworth Trafford and Doran with Rooney and Tremarco wide.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Alan Simpson said:

Delighted to get Mcart a proper top prospect! Dunno much about the striker his stats for Barrow are brutal something like 8 goals in43 games usualstats for a striker we sign fingers crossed he's a good un

McCart a real bonus signing. I thought he was a real potential for the short time he was here under Foran. He could be a massive player for us and a real sell on profit for the club. Likes of White, jury's out... But then right now as far as striking options I'm more than confident with Oakley Austin and Mckay. White could be a Kris Boyd style right place right time snatcher 

• Agree 1

White at Barrow did not seem to be a hustler who goes after the ball. But once he gets it he does have something different, including a few tricks. On the video, that lofted ball to score was  a beauty.

And if our defence is as solid as you all say then he, like the rest of the forwards,  can relax a bit and run at the goal hard, thus dragging defence men back with him and opening up the rush. He's a big man and surely he will be hard to dispossess.

Anyway, I have that rising feeling that with a solid defence we can concentrate on getting the goals and this season will, I predict, be more controlled and exciting from start to finish. Promotion  is the goal and I think we are going to get lucky......

11 hours ago, MorayJaggie said:

See Brian Rice being linked with no 2 role at st mirren and negotiations are underway.

He was linked with them last week, but I see in the papers this morning that he's (reluctantly) been given permission to go speak to them.

11 hours ago, MorayJaggie said:

See Brian Rice being linked with no 2 role at st mirren and negotiations are underway.

I wonder if that would pave the way for Donald Park to be reunited with Robbo. I could certainly live with that.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

I wonder if that would pave the way for Donald Park to be reunited with Robbo. I could certainly live with that.

Spoke with Parky last week.  He turns 65 soon and is very much enjoying retirement, so would be surprised if that happened....unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Gregor said:

You never know in football,Park may just be tempted as football is in the blood.

I'd love it to happen, especially for the benefit of our younger players.  If Chipper leaves (and I think he'll jump at the chance and the club will grab at the compo) then his replacement is likely to be someone else who's been here before, but who wouldn't have to relocate.

10 minutes ago, CaleyD said:

I'd love it to happen, especially for the benefit of our younger players.  If Chipper leaves (and I think he'll jump at the chance and the club will grab at the compo) then his replacement is likely to be someone else who's been here before, but who wouldn't have to relocate.

It's certainly a big chance for Rice, and a change of scene. Does DP live locally CaleyD? I know he's from Fort William initially isn't he 

1 hour ago, caleyboy said:

He's also a long time friend of Gordon Fyfe.

Probably count against him given that the current board have gone to great lengths to avoid appointing friends and family to prominent positions within the club. ?

• Funny 1