Recruitment Policy?

Players approaching the end of their career, regardless of how the playing career panned out must get worried about how to bring in a wage as they approach their 30s.  We have a recruitment problem because of our geographical location.

Imagine ICT having a framework agreement with local businesses that looks to offer a re-training option at the end of their career with a 3 year temporary contract in the 'non-football' career.  The risk of injury prone players could be mitigated by stipulating conditions in contracts that enable 'early retirement' from football.

Benefits for ICT; Higher caliber players with proven football capability are brought in.  No obligation to honor long contracts while players are injured.  Better on the park performance.  Good PR.  Enhanced ticket sales.

Benefits for employers; Cheaper labor than in the market currently signed up for longer terms (i.e. lower long term salary than recruited in the market, by capping salary for example).  PR boost from the name association.  Loyalty of ex playing-staff brought on from a 'second chance' after football.

Benefits for the community; High caliber individuals moving to Inverness, probably family orientated with stability in mind.

Benefits for players; 3 year rolling playing contract with security and re-training, followed by a 3 year deal with a business.  That is 6 years of family stability.  

Surely our board and high-profile associates could set up this initiative?  It takes a leading Commercial Manager to establish and enable such means.  Try it with one player, why not?  

This is not a novel idea as it has been proven to work elsewhere...over the bridge for example.  Jobs for the boys....

• Agree 3

Highland Council struggle to recruit teachers. Maybe some could look at that as a future career path.  Or emergency services given footballers generally being fitter than you average  member of the public. 

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, Caman said:

Highland Council struggle to recruit teachers. Maybe some could look at that as a future career path.  Or emergency services given footballers generally being fitter than you average  member of the public. 

Wouldn't sentence anyone to being a teacher for three years however the point re emergency services could be a possibility, also, I can only see govt making this kind of commitment, as someone above said private business is unlikely to commit to someone they haven't met or they may not be in a financial position to pay for, or they may just have hired someone. Nice idea though.

Interesting idea, and well-worthy of discussion.

Not quite the same scenario, but back in Highland League days, Jock McDonald sometimes offered a job at Tomatin Distillery to a player whom he was trying to persuade to sign for Thistle. Useful if it was someone from outside the area, with no local connections.

If memory serves me right, Ian Cumming, the captain of his first league-winning team, was one such. There may well have been others.

• Facepalm 1

The real problem with being a teacher in the  government  make it so much harder for you with it being more less impossible to get a job doing it. For example my oldest brother is a teacher in China he gets paid 20 times the average wage of a Chinese person and free flat or house with his job and also like 50 helpers who  work for him. He can also buy within 6 months quite easy flat or small house with his wages easy and you get very decent holidays like he just worked 2 months and get got 2 weeks of to me that sounds pretty good to me.  One final part I want to include he gets a guaranteed job in China before he even steps into China 6 months in advance to be fair if I did not have my own businesses going I would probably do same as him.

• Funny 1

10 hours ago, Blair said:

The real problem with being a teacher in the  government  make it so much harder for you with it being more less impossible to get a job doing it. For example my oldest brother is a teacher in China he gets paid 20 times the average wage of a Chinese person and free flat or house with his job and also like 50 helpers who  work for him. He can also buy within 6 months quite easy flat or small house with his wages easy and you get very decent holidays like he just worked 2 months and get got 2 weeks of to me that sounds pretty good to me.  One final part I want to include he gets a guaranteed job in China before he even steps into China 6 months in advance to be fair if I did not have my own businesses going I would probably do same as him.

Why are you lying in a football forum about having a brother who teaches in China?

Leaving aside the forums latest Walter Mitty, football fans really need to have a look at themselves sometimes.

Being a teacher and working in the emergency services are vital jobs, you need to be trained for years and dedicated to your profession to do it. Why should the authorities in charge of these services push a load of ex footballers ahead of other applicants? The entire world does not have making Caley a good team as a goal. And specifically to teaching, you really should have a degree in the subject you are seeking to teach, how many footballers meet that criteria?  

If footballers want to retrain as teachers then that’s fine but the world doesn’t owe them a living.

• Agree 4

I am not  he lives in China now. What would be the point of lying about that? Loads of people teach in China since you get job overall so easy and get good lifestyle doing it overall.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, caleyboy said:

sounds as if you drew the short straw Blair ?

You won't be saying that when he becomes our new chairman and leads the club to glory!  Big Blair, his brother in China and his polecat sound like a winning formula to me.

Edited by Renegade
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, ictchris said:

Leaving aside the forums latest Walter Mitty, football fans really need to have a look at themselves sometimes.

Being a teacher and working in the emergency services are vital jobs, you need to be trained for years and dedicated to your profession to do it. Why should the authorities in charge of these services push a load of ex footballers ahead of other applicants? The entire world does not have making Caley a good team as a goal. And specifically to teaching, you really should have a degree in the subject you are seeking to teach, how many footballers meet that criteria?  

If footballers want to retrain as teachers then that’s fine but the world doesn’t owe them a living.

What a welcome breath of fresh air and an admirable reality check from Chris there! The only nit I would pick is that to become a teacher in Scotland, you MUST have a relevant degree (and also the necessary teacher training). You don't just walk into the jobs in question and people certainly don't create them for you.

Perhaps it should also be remembered that many people, especially among the majority who aren't interested in football, regard professional footballers as grossly overpaid as it is - even before you consider their microscopically short working week.

There are people in other sports performing at higher levels than many professional footballers and often training more frequently - whilst still holding down the day jobs they need to have because their sport isn't subsidised by rich people.

The bottom line is Chris's bottom line - the world doesn't owe football and footballers a living.

19 hours ago, Blair said:

Is he Chinese or does he speak Mandarin ? 

Barles Channerman and ICT Chris have a point that the world doesn’t owe footballers everything. But that’s not the bottom line or even the point of what I was trying to suggest. I wasn’t suggesting the public sector was the way forward because I don’t think the taxpayer should have anything to do with it. But thank you Caman for offering a constructive suggestion to progress the debate as opposed to others who try to simply shoot things down without a decent alternative suggestion. If it’s not constructive, how can we build anything? 

My next commendation is to Weekend Hacker and Caley D, it might not actually be practical to instigate and the 3 year suggestion of a contract was a bit wild, but at least these comments move us forward. So, the next question is what couldn’t possibly entice employers (in the private sector) into taking an ex player on?  For me they have to be cheap, have roots set in the area and a commitment to re-train. 

Now then, how about ICT pair with Skills Development Scotland as well as potential employers? SDS has a budget of £1m to keep off-shore workers trained for example. If ICT were able to tap into this, perhaps employing a temporary resource using SDS/grant capital from  e.g. HIE that would assist ICT too. A player development manager if you will.

There is no harm in everyone brain storming in a creative manner even if it is pie in the sky stuff, I don’t see the harm - you are more than welcome on the topic I created (unlike others who feel impulsed to snipe/dredge/discredit opinion, I can’t be bothered with that). 

To be honest, I actually think the idea is a total non-starter as far as having any kind of structured policy/arrangement in place.  Clubs with philanthropic owners tend only to assist with topping up wages by way of a "second job" for players while on the club books.  There's a joke goes around about a certain club not being very generous to players and the owner having to give all their wives cleaning jobs just so they could make ends meet!

Clubs already have a duty of care in ensuring that young players have access to education/training, but beyond that it should fall to the player to ensure they are prepared for life beyond football.  ICTFC has assisted many players over the years with doing coaching badges and as that feeds back into the game, then all for it.

When it comes to providing employment opportunities outwith football, I'd far rather see the club doing what it has already done on a number of occasions over the years.  That is offer, support and promote routes into work for people who've taken a stumble in life or who, for other reasons, have struggled..

I get that you are looking for ways to encourage players to the area, but I'm not sure the opportunity of a job on the checkout at Tesco when they retire is going to swing it.

As a community/club we do not owe footballers a living beyond what they provide as a player, just as football doesn't owe anyone else a living....even though some, in certain professions, seem to think they do!

Quite honestly given the amount of time a Pro player has spare in the week they could easily do a part time degree or something similar in their twilight years to prepare for football retirement.