Cove Rangers

I was disappointed to see that Cove lost their 2nd leg play off final to Cowdenbeath yesterday, after being ahead at one stage.  I would have liked to see another HL team make it to the higher level.   It looks as if Cove not only lost the match, but also their cool, having 3 players sent off in the 8 minutes of injury time which was played!

Yup - I was disappointed too.  Another Highland team that thinks the officials are against them - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44096432

Was also disappointed that Peterhead missed out on promotion after being second in the division by one point, and 22 points and 31 goals ahead of Stenhousemuir. Still, Peterhead had two sent off - clearly suicide when you're already 2-0 down from the first leg. My wife's family are all Stenny supporters, so I'd better not say any more!

It's not been a good time for football north and west of Aberdeen. In addition to back to back relegations for ICT and County, we also have, as stated, Peterhead's failure to go up against a team that finished 22 points behind them over 36 games - and Elgin missing out again on reaching the top four in League Two.

As for Cove, they are now the third consecutive Highland League team which has failed to progress to League Two via the pyramid system. Brora, Buckie, Cove - all among the perceived moneybags of the Highland League and all failing to reach a division which is said to be severely strapped for cash. I would be interested to see the financial numbers and wage figures at Cove, with their brand new stadium, compared with those of Cowdenbeath who also play out of the most notorious sh*thole in Scottish football.

Once again, I have to wonder if the Highland League moneybag clubs are getting value for what they are giving players to pay lipservice to what might be called training to play in the fifth tier of Scottish football, from which they are now serially failing to progress.

Seemingly the mass brawl started after Cowdenbeath's third goal was given after one of their players rugby tackled the Cove goalkeeper.  I wonder type of referee would make such a terrible decision...

Oh!  It was John McKendrick!  Fancy that...

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, Renegade said:

Seemingly the mass brawl started after Cowdenbeath's third goal was given after one of their players rugby tackled the Cove goalkeeper.  I wonder type of referee would make such a terrible decision...

I was actually there and hoping for a Cove win, expecting Cowden to be in the LL next season, as they were quite lucky to beat East Kilbride on penalties last year. Met many old SHFL mates, most of whom were looking for a Cove win to get rid of them out of the HL.

Cove have only themselves to blame. They were the better team for 3/4 of the 180 minutes then came out for the second half at 2-1 up, expecting to just go through the motions. The mass brawl can actually be seen on the internet if you look, but it was in stoppage time, as McManus had already been dismissed in the 94th minute for a second yellow. Ross put in an absolutely shocking challenge on a Cowden player and sent him sprawling across the track in the direction of the dugouts. The BBC gives the red for Ross at 90+7 and Watson at 90+8.

The winning goal came with just under 20 mins left. It was a bit like Wayne Rooney's effort for Everton which I've just been watching on MOTD. The keeper was away out of his goal and you have to give Brad Smith credit for hitting the target from nearly halfway. There was a claim that the keeper was impeded by Jordyn Sheerin, who in turn claimed that he was pushed onto the keeper by a Cove player. Questionable whether he would have got back to save it anyway. The referee was probably incapable of seeing all this, maybe ball-watching. The stand side linesman didn't come out of it well, as Megginson's first goal may have been offside, Cowden's second came from a very questionable foul right in front of him (although the defending at the free kick was embarrassing), and the winner was at his end. John Sheran embarrassed himself, it has to be said, by agreeing to be interviewed right after the whistle. A brilliant day out though, great value for money in the sunshine.

6 hours ago, Renegade said:

No, it was Steven Kirkland.