Confirmed

Bronson

2 hours ago, ymip said:

I truly despair at folk on here's views of Vigurs.  He is a superb footballer and will be a huge loss to us - anyone who thinks otherwise clearly doesn't really get football at all.  More worryingly this appears to be a very visible attempt by our neighbours to lay down  a marker for next season and beyond.   A much as I enjoyed their demise on Saturday I fear they will be going large on an immediate return to the Premiership.  We appear to be shopping at Aldi and they are clearly intent on melting their plastic in M&S. 

Mcgregor spent millions this year,  don't see it helping them stay in the premier league?    Vigurs went for money, he is a good footballer but we can get on without him.

• Agree 4

Vigurs was the best footballer at the club by a country mile but he was also very undisciplined and he is getting less fitter and slower season by season. He was dependent on people around him - especially Polworth. If I was a manager facing him I would be pressing in his face and I reckon that he would blow. I suspect that he will also point to the boo boys who gave him some terrible stick. I hope that they do not now look to Polworth. To me he is the clear successor to Vigurs.

• Agree 2

Uppers:
M&S
Harry Gow
Daniel Mackay 3 year contracts with us
County relegation
Errea
Invernessian Bon viveurs
ICTFC

Downers:
Aldi
Greggs
Vigurs 3 year contracts with them
5th and no cigar
Macron
Rosshire Rednecks
RCFC
Barley Chatterman's patter........

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Sad to see Iain Vigurs leave. He was our stand-out player this year and is a talented footballer. However, the first half of last year, he was awful. The reason for the difference last year compared to this is anybody's guess: poor management (for sure), wrong position (yes), poor discipline (yes), petulance (sometimes), personal issues (no idea). Anyway, he's gone and you can't criticise him for taking a higher wage. Good luck to him except when they play us!

Mulraney was a constant disappointment - so much promise and so little product. All that skill and pace wasted because of poor final ball or wrong decisions. Maybe he'll come good yet, but I doubt it.

I see Polworth as a completely different type of player from Vigurs. His game is based on energy, running, bursting into the final third. Vigurs this season has been all about dictating play from deep, spreading passes around, taking responsibility by showing for the ball in difficult areas. We won't be able to replace that and I think our playing style will have to change as a result - we'll have to go longer more often.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Caley Stan said:

I see Polworth as a completely different type of player from Vigurs. His game is based on energy, running, bursting into the final third. Vigurs this season has been all about dictating play from deep, spreading passes around, taking responsibility by showing for the ball in difficult areas. We won't be able to replace that and I think our playing style will have to change as a result - we'll have to go longer more often.

I agree about Polworth being very different to Vigurs.  Vigurs has been outstanding this season but it has to be said that we haven't missed him too much when he hasn't played.  He was suspended when we played the crunch match against in form Dunfermline and 2nd placed Livingston.  We were very unlucky not to beat the Pars and we did beat Livingston.  Trafford seems to be the most similar to Vigurs and had a very good game against Dunfermline.  He seems to have a good understanding with Chalmers which protects the defence and provides a bit more freedom for Polworth to drive forward.  So whilst we are not going to replace Vigurs with an individual of the same calibre (at the moment) the way we play and the way other players work together means we can still have a very effective midfield.

One thing that was evident prior to this season was that when we had a theoretically high quality midfield with Vigurs, Draper and Tansey, they didn't work particularly well together and the team as a whole lacked width.  It's not who you've got that matters, it's what you do with who you've got.  Robbo's been pretty good at getting the best out of  a relatively young and inexperienced squad and I'm sure he will do the same again next season.

• Agree 3

A couple of seasons ago, it would be unthinkable to have a midfield without Draper and Tansey in it, but it happened,  they moved on, and someone else stepped up to fill those berths, and now Vigurs has moved on and someone will step into his boots and fill the void. I would have loved Vigurs to stay, but at his age it will be his last big pay day, increased wages and probably a good signing on fee are not to be sniffed at. Our style of play might alter to fit the new players, but we have played in many different styles over the years. 

• Agree 2

Disappointed to see Vigurs leave, as he was our best player this season.

Yes, he talked or fouled himself into trouble at times, but a lot of the stick he took from fans was undeserved and he became a marked man by some opponents and referees (possibly his own fault).

Despite where he is going, he goes with my best wishes.

Looking forward, I hope we retain Polworth, and agree that Trafford will become a key player for us.

It is good to have three new players in by mid May, so we will hopefully kick off in July with a squad who have blended and we hit the ground running when the league starts, hopefully having secured qualification in the Betfred Cup by then.

I still feel positive at our potential for next season and am looking forward to it starting.

I am going to renew my season ticket on Friday.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I felt Vigurs was hugely culpable to our relegation, he seemed to consistently let players run off him and offered little movement to the players on the ball.

However the 2nd half of the season playing as the main man in the middle of the park, taking the ball from the defence and retaining possession in tight areas as well as playing passes between the lines to doran and polworth saw us finish the season in great form. He was integral and will be missed. 

I am disappointed he is leaving but I am not devastated as it wasnt a surprise. I have been lacking in players to dislike with County, so at least I can focus some resentment towards Vigurs now. Its petty, but its what makes football fun! 

• Agree 2

I wish Vigurs all the best and am grateful for what he has helped us achieve.

I also look forward to the outrage on these forums when he is healthily booed and abused on his return to TCS!

• Agree 2

18 minutes ago, buckett said:

I also look forward to the outrage on these forums when he is healthily booed and abused on his return to TCS!

I too wish him all the best. However, whilst booing our own players is never acceptable in my view, giving stick to those who have chosen to move to our local rivals, even for the most understandable of personal motives, is an entirely different matter altogether.

• Agree 3

Hopefully we will be too euphoric with winning against RC to give a monkey's feck who is playing for them. 

#bigteambigcupsmallteamsmallcup

?

5 hours ago, buckett said:

Some mild tutting and finger wagging you mean?

• Funny 1

I think this is where we post this photo ......

vigurs.jpg

but in all honesty ... He will always be a player that divides opinion within the support. Never going to be a club 'legend' but should certainly be remembered as a skillful and important player for us. I have no animosity towards him going to County (again) especially as football is a short career and he has to look after himself and his family first and foremost. If Roy is going to dig deeper than us then he would be foolish not to accept that. Thanks for what he did ... no move on with our own squad re-shaping. 

• Agree 2

24 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I think this is where we post this photo ......

vigurs.jpg

but in all honesty ... He will always be a player that divides opinion within the support. Never going to be a club 'legend' but should certainly be remembered as a skillful and important player for us. I have no animosity towards him going to County (again) especially as football is a short career and he has to look after himself and his family first and foremost. If Roy is going to dig deeper than us then he would be foolish not to accept that. Thanks for what he did ... no move on with our own squad re-shaping. 

I was wondering who was going to be first to dust off that photo' ?

Iain Vigurs would almost certainly be in the Top 10 "Good Guys" (players wise) I had the pleasure of working alongside at Caley Thistle and I would have no hesitation in testifying on his behalf with regards to how much he cared for what happened on the pitch every time he stepped out there; and how much it hurt to see us relegated last year.

ICTFC certainly won't be a better place (on or off the park) for his leaving, despite what some eejits will try and make out.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, caleyboy said:

martin lisle (bottom left) worth two vigurs in his caley days.

His expression is also way cooler than anyone else in the picture .... you can almost see him thinking how 'assertive'  he would be had he still been a player  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2