Sign in to follow this  
Caman

Liam Polworth - One Of Our Own - Take 2

Respect him or lose him. 

You're choice!!

PS - Original deleted as becaming a slagging. Positive or constructive¬†thoughts please. Stick slaggings and negative thoughts up your Global Energy back passage ūüŹü

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

True story pollys an outstanding player need to get him on a long term deal sick of seeing our best players leaving on bosmans! Poor business by the board not extending Vigurs contract when we went down!

• Facepalm 2

1 minute ago, Alan Simpson said:

True story pollys an outstanding player need to get him on a long term deal sick of seeing our best players leaving on bosmans! Poor business by the board not extending Vigurs contract when we went down!

With the money coming from where exactly ?

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

I hate to say it but Global Energy. Given that Vigurs and Polworth worked well together and lets face it, if Vigurs was being watched, he wasnt the only one, can we assume Vigurs is putting a word in? Time will tell.

Whooosh

• Facepalm 1

Its time for Polly to fulfil the gap left by Vigurs, He is a talent and the stats of his assists etc from last season tell us that.  We need him signed up on longer deal.

• Agree 5

3 minutes ago, MorayJaggie said:

We need him signed up on longer deal.

Probably just not possible given the current financial position. 

I thought some of the combination play between Polly and Vigurs was fantastic last season, and was hoping for the same next season but unfortunately that will not happen for us now. It's time for Polworth to become the main man in midfield next season, he has the ability, he just needs the confidence to go and do it.  Let's hope we can hit the ground running with our new signings.

1 hour ago, Kingsmills said:

Parachute payment drapes transfer fee sure he wasn't wanting a kings ransom! Ffs I'd rather have left Trafford where he was and give Vigurs a pay rise! Short sighted yet again by the board expecting promotion but letting our top players walk on a free or as in dealers case a pittance! Sometimes gotta speculate to accumulate I'm afraid 

• Disagree 2
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 4

51 minutes ago, AncientMariner said:

Probably just not possible given the current financial position. 

So loose yet another player we could've got a fee for on a free unbelievable 

• Disagree 2
  • Facepalm 2

Let's get this back on track.

Lok at Polworth's assists last season: he isn't a vital cog in our wheel.

He is under contract, so any club will need to pay to get him, and hopefully that deters them, and we retain him for at least another season.

This could be the year he really asserts himself!

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 2

I'm sure the usual hard of thinking will be booing him after the first misplaced pass. 

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

48 minutes ago, Alan Simpson said:

Parachute payment drapes transfer fee sure he wasn't wanting a kings ransom! Ffs I'd rather have left Trafford where he was and give Vigurs a pay rise! Short sighted yet again by the board expecting promotion but letting our top players walk on a free or as in dealers case a pittance! Sometimes gotta speculate to accumulate I'm afraid 

If you have money to speculate! More to running a club than players sadly. 

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Fraz said:

I'm sure the usual hard of thinking will be booing him after the first misplaced pass. 

Of course, can't even beat the first man at a corner either 

• Confused 1
  • Facepalm 3

Not surprised he left given the reception he’s been given in his (2nd) time here, I’d probably have done the same. Easily our best player this season but made to feel about as welcome as Yogi did during his last season. We probably have the most unsupportive supporters in the country and deserve everything we get. Liam will probably go the same way and I wouldn’t blame him.

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 4
  • Funny 1

9 hours ago, MorayJaggie said:

Its time for Polly to fulfil the gap left by Vigurs, He is a talent and the stats of his assists etc from last season tell us that.  We need him signed up on longer deal.

Definetly...if he steps up to the plate, he could be the driving force in the team & we will be asking 'Iain Who'?..in an ideal world, that is!

Personally I think Polly does a pretty good job, he works hard and tries to be creative....He's not the finished article, and some times he gets frustrated, but as I always say (for both my teams), if a player was perfect would he be playing for us?

But he is one of our own, and I reckon he'll push on next season

• Agree 1

Nothing happens in isolation.  Good players don’t function well in teams with sub-par players.  A lot is reliant on other players to keep the ball, make runs, anticipate a pass.  So what may seem like losing possession or a misplaced pass, isn’t.   Polworth will need players of a similar ability/Championship - Premiership level around him to be effective.  

• Agree 1

as i said on original topic a mature Polworth is a big asset but has he matured?

obtw. deleting a post because you dont like the responses is pretty poor.

Edited by caleyboy
  • Agree 1

I posted about his season last season on another thread, that seems to have been deleted?

He was our best attacking player last season, the only criticism that you could maybe have is that he should've scored more than three goals in the league.  That's a minor quibble considering he provided 18 assists, by far the most in the Championship.

People in our support seem to have it in for him because of things like his 'body language' and 'attitude'.  This is the same sort of stuff that used to be said about Vigurs, people should try and pay more attention to what players actually do than how you perceive them to be behaving.

• Agree 5

22 minutes ago, ictchris said:

I posted about his season last season on another thread, that seems to have been deleted?

He was our best attacking player last season, the only criticism that you could maybe have is that he should've scored more than three goals in the league.  That's a minor quibble considering he provided 18 assists, by far the most in the Championship.

People in our support seem to have it in for him because of things like his 'body language' and 'attitude'.  This is the same sort of stuff that used to be said about Vigurs, people should try and pay more attention to what players actually do than how you perceive them to be behaving.

Liam is an undoubted talent with the potential to be top class. However, attitude (maturity) has a big influence on him getting to the next level and thus helping us get out of 2nd tier football.

Time for Polly to step up and take responsibility now Vigurs is gone. As I've said before and been berated for - as a young player he's had more game time than anyone else other than Christie over the years. Plenty fans get on the backs of other players in much less time and are less patient.

Edited by bdu98196
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, caleyboy said:

Liam is an undoubted talent with the potential to be top class. However, attitude (maturity) has a big influence on him getting to the next level and thus helping us get out of 2nd tier football.

What exactly is wrong with his attitude?  He broke into the team in 2013 but dropped back in 2014 and looked as though he might be on his way out but he came back and established himself as a first team starter after that.  Following the disappointment of relegation he has been an important player, behind a lot of our effective attacking play.  He's played in a number of positions - wide midfield and centrally, takes set pieces and puts up with the nonsense that some of our fans throw at him.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

The abuse Polworth gets really is out of order and there are some in the stands who really ought to be ashamed of themselves.  Sure, he can be a very frustrating player to watch, but on the whole his attitude is great and I don't think anyone can accuse him of not try and not caring.  The problem is almost as if he tries and cares too much at times.

There are times when he is dispossessed that his immediate reaction is one of expressed disappointment.  There is a drop of the shoulders or a look up to the heavens, and in doing that there is a delay of a second or two before he  acts to try and reclaim the ball.  By then, it is too late and it looks as though he's not bothered.  A player like Vigurs loses the ball and the  immediate reaction is to get it back as quickly as possible.  Polworth's reactions are sometimes more like those of a fan than a professional footballer and if he hasn't got that trait out of his system by now, I don't know that he ever will.

The other irritating thing is that when he surges forward he often pushes the ball too far in front of him.  This often means that he then gets too tight to defenders and is either dispossessed or is unable to get a decent ball away.  He needs to keep the ball a bit closer and sometimes just slow down a bit and give himself a bit more time to see what's going on around him.

These two flaws in his game are very noticeable during a match and we lose possession because of them.  But for all that, the number of assists he has made plus his contribution to many other goals speaks volumes for the positive contribution he makes.  One of the reasons people notice Polworth is that he does work so hard, he makes himself available and he tries to make things happen rather than just  play the simple safe ball all the time.  It should also be recognised that too often we lose possession because other players have not reacted to his runs, have  failed to spot the spaces opening up as defenders go to Polworth and have not made themselves available to receive the ball.  Polworth then unfairly gets the stick because he was the one who had the ball before we lost it.  

Yes, it can be frustrating watching Polworth at times, but it can also be very exciting.  I would far rather we had Polworth in the side than not.  If some people in the stands would praise all the good work he does rather than shout abuse when things go wrong we would have a much better atmosphere in the ground.

• Agree 7
  • Disagree 1