The Pre-Season Thread

Renegade

9 minutes ago, dougal said:

So yet another pre-season playing against pure diddies and therefore not preparing sufficiently enough for the season ahead

I’m not saying we should have glamour friendlies but a little imagination from those that claim to be the guardians of this club is needed 

We deserve better

Dougal

Don't know how you can say that Dougal.

Last time we played Buckie, Scott Boden got 2 and we realised we had unearthed a gem. Last time I was at Kieth (?) we saw the legend that was Dean McDonald. And my car got vandalised. What's not to like?

• Funny 2

We deserve better? Careful with that phrase. Entitled Rangers fans like to use it. Not the kind I would like to be drawing comparisons with. 

Take your point though, think most fans agree its a bit dull for both them and the players. I get the point that these are purely fitness exercises but mixing up the opposition wouldn't do us any harm.

Club could argue it gives fans opportunity to watch the games and keeps the costs down. 

11 hours ago, Renegade said:

Is anyone really that bothered about friendlies and who we play etc.?  These are glorified training sessions.

It would be nice if we had a slightly higher level of opposition but as you say they're just glorified kick abouts.

This is the third iteration of the group stages; their effect on friendlies has been huge.  It has largely taken impetus away from clubs and allowed more sponsorship and tv opportunities or value for money.  As such, I see these friendlies as pre, pre season friendlies and the group stage as the pre season.  Only difference is that it’s centrally organised and money can be made off of it.  

Augsburg as we are twinned with them? They would be tough opposition for sure.

La Baule seem to be equivalent of a Highland League team. Nice beach there though. 

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:19 PM, Renegade said:

Is anyone really that bothered about friendlies and who we play etc.?  These are glorified training sessions.

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 8:43 AM, RiG said:

It would be nice if we had a slightly higher level of opposition but as you say they're just glorified kick abouts.

Fer fecks sake - Pre season friendlies are glorified training sessions. When we went to Yeovil, Bristol and Aldershot the games were mince. The atmosphere off the pitch fer the away support was brilliant. And the Betfred Cup has well and truly fecked that up. Those pre-season games of olde sucked up the finances and did feck all for the start of the REAL season.

• Agree 1

On 5/31/2018 at 8:20 PM, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Sorry - Hearts away is a test and a good day out. And most are salivating about the prospect of Cove away ?

I'm defo going to the Cove awayday a bit tasty the cove team fisticuffs at Stenny best keep Warren till then eh!

• Funny 1

On 5/30/2018 at 6:11 AM, Caman said:

Augsburg as we are twinned with them? They would be tough opposition for sure.

La Baule seem to be equivalent of a Highland League team. Nice beach there though. 

add in Calais and we'd have been all set .... if they hadnt gone out of existence last year  :sad:

16 minutes ago, mcdonnell761 said:

Are there any indications about ticket prices for the game? Are Caley going to have any available in the shop or will it be cash gates for them all?

Given most, if not all, of the games are away they'll almost certainly be cash gates for all of them.

2 hours ago, Downinthedumps said:

fiver to get in 

Surprisingly cheap, too cheap in fact. I’d have thought £10 would have been a better balance of maximising income whilst attracting a decent crowd (bearing in mind the large travelling support and the number of local Dons fans).

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, dave26 said:

Great fixture but shame it clashes with world cup semi final which might impact on the crowd.... frustrating!

To be honest, I can't see the players being too happy about it either.  What footballer would not want to watch  the World Cup Semi-final?  In any case, we have 2 matches scheduled the day before so presumably all the squad will be heavily involved in one of those two. So I'm not sure what benefit this game would be to us  so soon before the  Cove game just 3 days later.   Seems like a really bad idea all round to me .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, dave26 said:

Great fixture but shame it clashes with world cup semi final which might impact on the crowd.... frustrating!

The club have missed a trick here.  The semi final kicks off at 7 so if you go to the friendly, you'll see really none of it.  Why didn't the club arrange the game for a 1730/1800 kick off and then open up the bar and the hospitality suits after the game so folk can go in and watch it?  If they put food on as well or some type of offer, they could do quite well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

8 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

To be honest, I can't see the players being too happy about it either.  What footballer would not want to watch  the World Cup Semi-final?  In any case, we have 2 matches scheduled the day before so presumably all the squad will be heavily involved in one of those two. So I'm not sure what benefit this game would be to us  so soon before the  Cove game just 3 days later.   Seems like a really bad idea all round to me .

too bad. they are paid to do a job of work just like anyone else. do you think employers would give their staff time off to watch the world cup?

• Facepalm 2

51 minutes ago, caleyboy said:

too bad. they are paid to do a job of work just like anyone else. do you think employers would give their staff time off to watch the world cup?

That's not the point.  The players are being asked to do a totally unnecessary bit of work on an evening when they don't normally work and when the management know that the players would rather be watching the semi-final and that the crowd will be pitifully small because of the other game.  Bear in mind as well that the game is related to the players trade and they can learn from the game.  It is difficult to see what is to gain from this match.  One thing it certainly won't do if it goes ahead at the same time as the SF is enhance the relationship between players and management. That seems to me to be a really important consideration at the start of the season with new lads coming in.

Renegade's suggestion is an excellent one.  My one concern is that the bar might not be able to accommodate every one.  I've no idea whether it would be possible to show the game on a portable big screen to allow supporters to watch the Semi-final from the stands,  but having the two games back to back could make it a rather good summer's evening festival of football.  Might give the players and management the chance to mingle with the fans and use it as a great PR exercise.

• tm4tj unpinned this topic