The Pre-Season Thread

Renegade

45 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

That's not the point.  The players are being asked to do a totally unnecessary bit of work on an evening when they don't normally work and when the management know that the players would rather be watching the semi-final and that the crowd will be pitifully small because of the other game.  Bear in mind as well that the game is related to the players trade and they can learn from the game.  It is difficult to see what is to gain from this match.  One thing it certainly won't do if it goes ahead at the same time as the SF is enhance the relationship between players and management. That seems to me to be a really important consideration at the start of the season with new lads coming in.

Renegade's suggestion is an excellent one.  My one concern is that the bar might not be able to accommodate every one.  I've no idea whether it would be possible to show the game on a portable big screen to allow supporters to watch the Semi-final from the stands,  but having the two games back to back could make it a rather good summer's evening festival of football.  Might give the players and management the chance to mingle with the fans and use it as a great PR exercise.

are you qualified to determine that this part of pre-season is "unnecessary "? surely that decision lies with the manager.

2 minutes ago, caleyboy said:

are you qualified to determine that this part of pre-season is "unnecessary "? surely that decision lies with the manager.

Whether a game against Premiership opposition is necessary or not is, of course, down to the management,  What surely is not necessary is to choose to play it at a time when a World Cup Semi Final is live on TV.  It is in that sense that I am referring to this as a totally unnecessary bit of work.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

Whether a game against Premiership opposition is necessary or not is, of course, down to the management,  What surely is not necessary is to choose to play it at a time when a World Cup Semi Final is live on TV.  It is in that sense that I am referring to this as a totally unnecessary bit of work.

Nobody cares about the World Cup - especially since Scotland aren't there. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

Perhaps the players could have a good "training" work out against a "bigger" team - and perhaps somebody could "save" the WC Semi and enjoy thereafter. I bet that at the price there will be a fair Dons support plus a load of Sneckie kids. Perhaps a gamble BUT I would rather watch ICT than the World Cup. WE AINT FECKIN THERE !!

• Agree 2

Unfortunately I won't be there as I'll be in the Outer Hebs, but hopefully get a good crowd.  Unlikely to be a money spinner by the time we pay Aberdeen's Fee and matchday costs, but good opportunity for the coaches to see the team against (what should be) a higher level of opponent.

Aberdeen have an away friendly at Cove on the day of the World Cup Final [15th] and it will finish 15 mins before the Final begins - Aberdeen are ruining the World Cup for everyone - imagine the mad dash home/top pub after that game for fans!

Aberdeen messed up their pre-season fixtures with too big a gap between their first team friendlies with St J [8th] and West Brom [20th] (with above game downgraded to XI?).  Though at our stadium, ICT must have been offered the 11th (which was the only realistic, workable date for both) so went for it, and kick off 30 mins into a SF prob an AFC-stipulation to allow travelling Dons fans to get there on time after work - ICT option of a 5.30pm KO?  AFC wouldn't have wanted to annoy fans with an unmanageable fixture - WC or no.

I'm thinking, did Aberdeen mess up their friendlies, and thus be paying ICT some sort of incentive fee (even for an Away game) for this awkward fixture - if not... ?

Edited by Glover
clarification

What's the big deal?

It's a friendly so a big crowd is unlikely regardless of when it takes place, and it gives our team a work out against a higher quality side than the others we are playing in advance of the Betfred Cup starting. 

• Agree 3

It's a friendly. Dont think I have ever been to a friendly that wasn't instantly forgettable. A necessay pre season evil. 

Edited by Guest

On 6/23/2018 at 8:00 PM, CaleyD said:

Charlton was good.

Charlton was a cracking weekend away!  We did hospitality and shared a few stories with celebrity Charlton fan Jim Davidson

According to the BBC, as well as training at Fort George, Army PT Instructors are putting the players through their paces.

Hopefully fitness levels will be enhanced this season as a result.

37 minutes ago, Robert said:

According to the BBC, as well as training at Fort George, Army PT Instructors are putting the players through their paces.

Hopefully fitness levels will be enhanced this season as a result.

Not a new thing, Terry had this in place and others did it before him (although I think it may have been done out at Lossie first of all).

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 6:31 PM, TopSix said:

Nobody cares about the World Cup - especially since Scotland aren't there. 

Yeah especially if England get to the Semi's (probably unlikely) .....

....Although not all ICT supporters are Scottish.

• Funny 1

On 6/22/2018 at 10:25 AM, DoofersDad said:

Surely were not ever going to base our preparations for the new season on the players wanting to watch the world cup. Never heard such nonsense.

• tm4tj unpinned this topic