Colin Baillie

Hiro

Not sure where else to put this but I see that Highland Council is to award Colin Baillie the Freedom of the City of Inverness. 

Highland Council Announcement

A very well deserved accolade for someone who has put his heart and soul into improving the prospects of young people on Inverness, whether that be through teaching, Boys Brigade, Inverness Harriers or Rugby. 

I'm sure we all have plenty of stories but up until the age of around 16 I was terrified of the man.  Being hauled into his office for some form of misdemeanor was never fun even though by that stage he was mellowing.  Once you hit 5th year and became a 'young man' it was interesting just how much his attitude towards you changed and he eventually showed his softer side. A thoroughly decent man and one I'm delighted that has been bestowed this honour.

• Agree 2

My experience of Mr Baillie at Millburn in first and second year was that he was the kind of bullying PE teacher not uncommon in the seventies and my personal memories are not entirely fond ones.

That said, he has clearly done a great deal for the community otherwise the accolade is unlikely to have been awarded. I am assuming that as attitudes in general have evolved over the last four decades or so then so have his so well done to him.

Driest sense of humour ever - loved him. He gave you hell when he thought that you had erred or were not trying hard enuff BUT he would back you to the hilt and give praise if deserved although usually in a very short sentence and a grunt. A wee grin thereafter and you knew you had done something well. Best Rugby coach ever IMHO.