Davie Balfour's End to End by Bike

davie

Good people of CTO, I have a favour to ask. In a couple of weeks’ time I will be doing a Lands End to John O’ Groats bike ride solo and unsupported. Its 1,000 miles and I’m going to try to do it in 8 days. That is a lot of work and yes, I’m doing to support a charity. This one is very close to my heart, The Smith-Magenis Foundation UK. Max, my grandson, has SMS and you have probably never heard of it. Well, you have now.  It’s called Smith Magenis Syndrome (SMS) and it’s there because Max got born without a tiny bit of chromosome 17. It just happens in 1:25000 births, no cause, and no history. What you won't have heard of are the sleep disturbances (he doesn't) the meltdowns, the rubbish eyesight, the amazing ability to cause self-damage, the learning difficulties and all the rest. Max won't tell you about it either because he can't speak yet. He will let you know how much he loves you though at almost every opportunity. Hugs, hugs and more hugs. If you good people want to add to the £1200 or so that we have already raised towards our £2K target, you can go to https://mydonate.bt.com/fundraisers/davidbalfour1 

and put in whatever you can. Alternatively, I’ve got myself a new and unworn ICTFC home shirt which is signed by the first team squad and which ICTFC have generously donated. If you want it, please DM me on here with a bid. You know you want it and Max and I would be really grateful.

maxitaxi.jpg

map.png

• Agree 1

• Scotty pinned and featured this topic

All the best Davie, I'll add a contribution. I don't think I'd tackle that even with an e-bike ?

I was looking at giving you a wave as you crossed the FRB but it looks like I'll be in Orkney that week...

• Like 1

Davie - I would like to make a donation on behalf of CTO but I use a specific account for my personal online activities. This account does not have Visa or any UK valid debit card attached to it so I cannot use the donation page. I can send to you directly as an EFT from the account or I can pay you via Paypal and have the funds come straight out of my personal account. Let me know.   

On 5/28/2018 at 8:56 PM, Gringo said:

Davie - do you have a detailed map of your route including overnight stays etc?

I've got a spreadsheet! The nearest to you would be an overnight at the ibis hotel in Crewe on Tuesday 12th after coming up from the Severn Bridge. That day's itinerary is (gulp) Aust, Chepstow, Monmouth, Hereford, Ludlow, Shrewsbury, Wem, Whitchurch and Crewe. 130 miles, just about survivable. Next day is a mere 101 miles over the Pennines to Harrogate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Scotty unpinned and unfeatured this topic