Gary Warren told he can leave

Glover

As above, I don’t see how people can disassociate so quickly from players.  I doubt Gary is feeling very chipper and either will any of the players who are close to him.  It’s not a nice thing to be doing.  That it is like water off a duck’s back for many i find a bit soulless. Him staying or going either now or at the end of the season will not make or break the finances and I find that getting so excited about the money saved and dismissing Gary’s situation, and the club’s word,  as sentiment all a bit crass.

Aware I’m in the minority here, certainly not bothered about that.  Raven’s farewell speech after his last game brought home that sometimes you owe and stand by people who committed to the club.  I honestly dont see how people can applaud and cheer and celebrate our captain for years  and then quickly dismiss their fall from grace overnight as a good cash deal.  

• Agree 9

Your completely missing the point.

Unless something comes up, which it probably wont, something that means he doesn't lose out financially or suit his personal life then come the start of the season he will be still our player and our captain. It's blatantly obvious in black and white with actual quotes from the gaffer.

He only leaves if he wants to leave and that will be by his agent getting him a better deal that suits him AND his family.

The faux outrage is cringeworthy from some.

Yes we will miss him as a player from a couple years ago maybe or even yes towards end of this season and undoubtedly as captain and leader of men but this is football and players come and go. We  are not pushing him out and we certainly  haven't sneaked the news out as the most important person involved knew weeks ago the situation.

• Agree 2

It certainly made me cringe during Raven’s farewell speech at the stadium.  He clearly felt let down and that experienced is a large part of why I have my own take on this.

Well aware and accepting of different views - I don’t regard yours as missing the point, fake or cringeworthy at all; I am no fan of echo chambers.

2 hours ago, Charles Bannerman said:

That is an assertion which is woefully short of rigour and alarmingly full of nebulous, wishful thinking. And all of that before you even consider that the game has somewhat moved on in 14 years.

So, Charles....what's changed in the last 14 years that means a large squad of predominantly young players is more likely to deliver success than the previously proven formula of a smaller squad which is made up of both youth and experience?

5 minutes ago, CaleyD said:

So, Charles....what's changed in the last 14 years that means a large squad of predominantly young players is more likely to deliver success than the previously proven formula of a smaller squad which is made up of both youth and experience?

What is far more relevant is your clear view that  - "Current Board (who no longer employ Caley D)... baaad.... previous board (who did employ Caley D).. perfect (as you told us for years... before relegation)".... after an even earlier period when they didn't employ Caley D during which they were absolutely deplorable.

Let's be up front Donald. It really looks to me as if you are putting yourself right in there to become some kind of Hero of the Caley Thistle Workers' Conglomerate.

Maybe one of the first things you need to do is to convince the people you need to vote for you in the forthcoming CJT Board election, that you are aren't simply in there in a personal attempt to throw the rattle out of the pram against the Board which no longer employs you - and that you hence become far more of a liability to this club than you ever were an asset.

On the other hand, maybe we should welcome the fact that you have sufficiently extricated yourself from Kenny Cameron's backside to be able even to issue the lame inanities against the current board that you have managed to create.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

ok people - I have had enough of this. You want to get overly personal DO IT SOMEWHERE ELSE !!! 

Whilst everyone is entitled to an opinion and can take and debate whatever position they like in a topic, they are not entitled to cross the line and get overly personal. Rule 1 of the site makes that very clear. If this continues, then those that are making things personal will be put on moderated posting. 

• Disagree 2

I know Charles of old and have seen this from him before many times over the years, and quite a bit recently aimed at me.  In fact, it is a fairly common tactic employed by journalists of a certain ilk.

It fulfils two purposes.  Firstly it distracts from the fact that they can't build a case against the facts/informarion presented by attacking the persons character instead...argumentum ad hominem.

Secondly, it's a tactic employed to try and get a story; and the theory is that if you throw about enough nonsense about a person/situation (and Charles knows what he's aimed at me is nonsense) they will move to defend themselves and in doing so become the story...again, becoming a distraction to the original discussion.

The problem here is that Charles has gone too far in making it personal; and in his desperation to get a rise out of me has drifted into the realms of defamation.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Facepalm 3

1 minute ago, CaleyD said:

I know Charles of old and have seen this from him before many times over the years, and quite a bit recently aimed at me.  In fact, it is a fairly common tactic employed by journalists of a certain ilk.

It fulfils two purposes.  Firstly it distracts from the fact that they can't build a case against the facts/informarion presented by attacking the persons character instead...argumentum ad hominem.

Secondly, it's a tactic employed to try and get a story; and the theory is that if you throw about enough nonsense about a person (and Charles knows what he's aimed at me is nonsense) they will move to defend themselves and in doing so become the story...again, becoming a distraction to the original discussion.

The problem here is that Charles has gone too far in making it personal; and in his desperation to get a rise out of me has drifted into the realms of defamation.

He maybe shouldn't be saying it the way he is, nor should it really bother him but we are all thinking it and all know it's true. 

• Like 3

I am on a years employment contract. Next june I have to have found a new job but I am also on three months notice which makes it hard for future employment contracts. 

If i was allowed to move freely i might be able to get a longer contract with another employer before the end of the year to give myself greater security or better long term prospects.

I am sad Gary will eventually leave the club but not holding him to the notice period gives him the choice to stay and potential  to look for longer or better prospects elsewhere. 

And if there is no fee he might get a signing bonus.

Fair and honourable and football .

Good decision and good communication to gary and supporters. 

• Agree 4

12 minutes ago, ICTPAISLEY said:

He maybe shouldn't be saying it the way he is, nor should it really bother him but we are all thinking it and all know it's true. 

Your reaction is the desired outcome for Charles as it adds additional pressure in the hope of a reaction.

Some people will disagree with my opinion...just as I will disagree with theirs...and I welcome the discussion that grows from that.

Getting personal adds nothing of value to that.

I'm not surprised about this. Warren must be the last of the relegated squad still on premiership conditions.

The comments from Robbo seem very fair to me. Nothing will happen unless he comes up with a club that works for him.

It sounds very different from the treatment of Raven and Fon Williams, and the club is trying to be fair.

• Agree 2

Moderators - I have been challenged and chastised and my posts removed for far less than the PERSONAL petty point scoring that a certain individual appears to be devoting his Internet life to.

***moderators are aware of the issue and will deal with it in due course***

• Funny 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Moogthurso said:

I am on a years employment contract. Next june I have to have found a new job but I am also on three months notice which makes it hard for future employment contracts. 

If i was allowed to move freely i might be able to get a longer contract with another employer before the end of the year to give myself greater security or better long term prospects.

I am sad Gary will eventually leave the club but not holding him to the notice period gives him the choice to stay and potential  to look for longer or better prospects elsewhere. 

And if there is no fee he might get a signing bonus.

Fair and honourable and football .

Good decision and good communication to gary and supporters. 

Bang on mate. It's no sinister plot it's football 

• Agree 1

Gary will be 34 in a couple of months.  35 at the end of his contract that he holds.  I suppose a club might come in and offer him similar terms on a two-year deal (a one-year deal is moot, he already has that).  How many 34-year-old defenders (who have been written off as too old and too slow by their own fans and are being asked to leave a Scottish Championship club) are getting such offers?  

At the end of last year he said, "...At my age you just want to be playing and enjoying being out on the park.  Enjoy trying to pass on as much advice and experience to people as you can" 

Gary will retire or play in a much lower league at the end of this contract.  ICT are trying to save on money by trying to get out of seeing him off into retirement.  I do not agree that he is currently walking around going, "well that's fair".  Perhaps it is devil take the hindmost at ICT now, and if it is, I find that to be distasteful.

As a last word, I do see the merits of other posters' posts, absolutely.  but there are two ways to see this, and this is one.

(edit:  shameful > distasteful)

Edited by Glover
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Moderators - I have been challenged and chastised and my posts removed for far less than the PERSONAL petty point scoring that a certain individual appears to be devoting his Internet life to.

What seems to be going largely unremarked here is that many of the posts I am highlighting appear themselves to be personal in nature, in that they are consistently critical of just about every conceivable aspect of how the club is being run.

I therefore feel obliged to respond to this constant undermining of the club’s governance - which was quite sudden in onset - by placing it in context.

• Like 1

You know, I've taken half an hour to reflect - by no means for the first time in recent months, but today through the medium of this individual thread - on where CTO seems to be going, in particular since relegation. The unfortunate conclusion is that it simply isn't the same vibrant and constructive medium that it was when I first joined in the early 2000s, and in particular the feeling that everybody was in this journey together seems to have gone. This isn't a sudden observation on my part, but more a "next step" in an ongoing process. Consequently, and this is a conclusion come to at considerable length, not just this morning, I think I'm going to give contributing to CTO a miss from now on. Quite frankly, it's lost its allure for me and I'm sure I can find some other means of engaging with ICTFC.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Charles Bannerman said:

You know, I've taken half an hour to reflect - by no means for the first time in recent months, but today through the medium of this individual thread - on where CTO seems to be going, in particular since relegation. The unfortunate conclusion is that it simply isn't the same vibrant and constructive medium that it was when I first joined in the early 2000s, and in particular the feeling that everybody was in this journey together seems to have gone. This isn't a sudden observation on my part, but more a "next step" in an ongoing process. Consequently, and this is a conclusion come to at considerable length, not just this morning, I think I'm going to give contributing to CTO a miss from now on. Quite frankly, it's lost its allure for me and I'm sure I can find some other means of engaging with ICTFC.

Bye. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

35 minutes ago, Charles Bannerman said:

I don’t blame you for getting pi##ed of Charles. A lot of posters just want to sling mud at each other or slag of ITFC . Come back soon we need positive posting and less pessimism .

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Charles Bannerman said:

That was emotional. 

See the funny thing about it is after reading a lot of football forums mainly of whoever we playing match day and also pie and bovril, this 1 is by far the tamest in regards to personal abuse.

Obviously we don't want people personally insulting people with swear words and stuff but that is something that never happens here.

It seems we have become a little over sensitive on here because most of it you will debate the same way with friends but you won't just say that's it am no your mate anymore cos you disagree.

As far as the forum starting as a journey and has lost its allure were still going on a journey which has a very important phase coming up with 25 years to celebrate along with hopefully a promotion .

Edited by ferben1994
Spelling
  • Agree 1

All this has the same taste as last season with Raven and OFW - find a club and go or walk.away from the contract the club had committed to. If he doesn't go will frozen out or brought back in? Gary is a professional and I'm sure will give his all but I expect that like OFW if he refuses to walk and is unwanted he will come under criticism. As a club we seem to be paying unwanted members of staff a lot of money these days.

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Downinthedumps said:

I don’t blame you for getting pi##ed of Charles. A lot of posters just want to sling mud at each other or slag of ITFC . Come back soon we need positive posting and less pessimism .

Having just read the post aimed at CaleyD earlier in this thread it would appear that Charles Bannerman slings more mud than most.

CaleyD isn't shy about giving his views but he always backs them up with information and evidence.  If I say a player has a bad game because they weren't doing something right, that's not personal. If CaleyD reckons the board aren't doing their job right and gives reasons, then that's not personal, even if he was sacked by the club.

He stands accused of being up the arse of an ex chairman, by someone who appears to be up the arse of the current one. Hypocrit springs to mind.

As Charles Bannerman's attack on me has been left in place, I would like to make one small point....I was not, and never have been, an employee of the club.  The decision to step away from the work I was doing, was mine.

Since then I have been back to voluntarily assist people at the club with several different things.

So, by no definition of the phrase do I fall into the category of "disgruntled ex employee".

• Facepalm 1