Who wants Gary Warren to stay?

caleyboy

Me.  Made 25 appearances last season and is our longest-serving player -might be 33 but defenders often are older to marshall the team from the back in lieu of the keeper,  an important year for the club with all the younger players that’ve come through, as a qualified teacher and coach the team will be stronger with him in the dressing room during their transition.

Edited by Glover

Me too - as I said on the other Gary Warren thread, I think he has a lot to offer us - not necessarily just as a player. Given the fact he has had to work hard, playing non-league football, etc, he's a great example of what hard work can achieve & I always saw him moving into a coaching role, over time (a bit like Ryan Esson has done).

As said before if the club want him to go then pay off his contract to terminate it and not try force him out via the press and turn fans against him. Evolving the squad is not the problem it's how we conduct our business with guys who have been professional throughout.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

John Terry did a decent job at Villa this season and he’s 37.  I don’t think Warren is quite the player he was but I’m not sure it is an age thing. He’s not been the same since he came back from his leg break in my view. 

Always gives 100% and always will but I doubt that he would always be in Robbo’s starting lineup next season. I don’t see Warren as a bench warming sort of player so if he wants to move to secure regular games then he has that option 

• Agree 1

Yes - Because of his attitude, history here, leadership qualities and respect he has throughout the club and with fans.

No - As it would reduce the wage bill and potentially add three new players. Tremarco has the above qualities and aspects and would take over captaincy.

In summary, I am undecided / split over this. 

Edited by Guest

7 minutes ago, Caman said:

Yes - Because of his attitude, history here, leadership qualities and respect he has throughout the club and with fans.

No - As it would reduce the wage bill and potentially add three new players. Tremarco has the above qualities and aspects and would take over captaincy.

i see where you're coming from but would the 3 have the same qualities as Gary?

9 minutes ago, Caman said:

Screen Shot 2018-06-02 at 17.04.51.png

• Funny 1

There is no room for sentimentality on this. Would Warren be a first choice pick for me next season, no he would not. If he is happy to be a squad player then fine as the club is not forcing him out as he will still be paid and used if he does not find another club. The ball is therefore in Warren's court as to what he wants to do. I agree with Doofers Dad that he has not been the same since his leg break and he has not been the same player since then. I also think the loss of Josh Meekings has highlighted how good a partnership they were as separately, they have not been as good players. I would also dispute that Warren is a good captain, I don't think he is and that shows on the field. Vigurs was a better captain in my opinion and with him gone, I would make Tremarco captain.

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, Huisdean said:

There is no room for sentimentality on this. Would Warren be a first choice pick for me next season, no he would not. If he is happy to be a squad player then fine as the club is not forcing him out as he will still be paid and used if he does not find another club. The ball is therefore in Warren's court as to what he wants to do. I agree with Doofers Dad that he has not been the same since his leg break and he has not been the same player since then. I also think the loss of Josh Meekings has highlighted how good a partnership they were as separately, they have not been as good players. I would also dispute that Warren is a good captain, I don't think he is and that shows on the field. Vigurs was a better captain in my opinion and with him gone, I would make Tremarco captain.

Completely agree with all that 

1 hour ago, Huisdean said:

So what we should be doing is trying to sign Meekings again ?

• Funny 1
  • Facepalm 1

Options that could have been considered:   1)  Give Gary another contract 2)  Wait until 2019  3)  Give Gary his contract value and ask him to clear his locker 4) Offer Gary a percentage of his contract to leave now  5) Go to the Press & Journal and bemoan finances, highlight "premiership wages' and 'appearance fee', and see if the guilt trip will work.

I imagine 4 was offered to Gary.  Gary said no (or asked for an improved percentage).  That was rejected.  A board member phoned the P&J and set up an interview.  A staff member gave an interview.  And here we all are. 

I will try and make it to the last game of the season at ICT for hospitality and maybe shake his hand and thank him for his 7 years, 220-appearances and his part in getting us to the Scottish Cup Final past Celtic and Premier years.  Hopefully see certain people there.

Edited by Glover
numbers and tone.
  • Sad 1

Warrens a tough 1 been a cracking player but his best days are defo behind him don't think hel be a first pick nxt season either ! He's a player we could do without get some new faces in! Tbh tho I can't see anyone coming in for him so think hel be here nxt season

• Agree 1

Unpopular opinion here it seems (what a way to make my first post, eh). I would rather he went elsewhere but only because I don’t see him being picked as a first choice player next season. 

He’s  played really well for us, always (literally sometimes) putting his face on the line for the ball...when he can get there in time, and that’s the only negative I can see with Gary. Whether it’s his positioning or a lack of speed I’m not sure but there were quite a few times last season when the defence was missing or sleeping (admittedly not just Gary’s fault). 

To end his career on a big payday I’d rather he found somewhere else but it would be sad to see him go.

And that’s where sentimentality comes in. I think we should be saying yes, if we can get someone younger, fitter, faster that can do the job by all means let him go, but do right by him financially. The only problem is, we probably can’t do both.

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

What team - which division?  I don’t want to be pedantic but I don’t see where this demand for a ‘slow, old, unfit defender ’ is coming from?  

Edited by Glover
extra adj.

Neither do I but my point was if he can get it he should take it (it’s not like I have a club lined up for him). I’d rather he stayed but I’m sure he’d rather go somewhere and play football than possibly just sit out the season on the bench. 

On the other hand, he may be quite happy to maybe/maybe not get played but if he’s on an appearance fee (as mentioned on another thread) I can see the club doing the same to him as they did to OFW by not playing him. 

9 minutes ago, Inverwegian said:

On the other hand, he may be quite happy to maybe/maybe not get played but if he’s on an appearance fee (as mentioned on another thread) I can see the club doing the same to him as they did to OFW by not playing him. 

Which is the point being made that by already going public they will just look like a bunch of fools and even worse when they back track and start asking him to play. Unfortunately like the OFW situation we will have fans turn on him for not just walking away from his contracted job and entitled monies as they have been convinced the player is not needed and there through greed bringing the club to it's knees and stopping it progressing. Those facts are down to the board miss management though and not the playing individuals.

• Disagree 1

Its quite simple for me , Gary Warren has a contract for another year, the club feel they could use the money more wisely and invest in some other player but finances are tight.

If He can find another club we will surely give him a payoff to go and the player could get a club that wants him to play rather than sit on the bench with ourselves. It happens all the time and most times it’s just down to finances.

I don’t think the club is doing anything wrong at all here.

• Agree 2
  • Facepalm 1