Who wants Gary Warren to stay?

caleyboy

The club's statement could be addressed in minutiae but I'd rather focus on this line:  

His contract, which had one year to run, has been cancelled by mutual consent allowing him to find a new club. 

I find that to be disingenuous and reminiscent of the Draper transfer request.

Anyway, I will draw a line under my issue on this.  Mr Rae has achieved his first aim - to get the financial discipline.  ICT's  budget will be  5th - 7th in the league (after Ross County, Partick, Dundee Utd, Dunfermline) and will be around Falkirk or Morton level.  Just above QoS and certainly above Alloa and Ayr.   I would say up to date Mr Rae's legacy has been reducing the wage bill but through questionable means.  Lets see what else he has up his sleeve from here on forward.   

25 minutes ago, MrGloverLover said:

Hi everyone, i'm a Yeovil Town fan and we've just announced Gary Warren as our latest signing.  I just wondered your thoughts on him moving to a (not very successful) EFL League 2 club?  Is he a leader on the pitch?  We really need some of them. 

Gary is without doubt a leader...on and off the park.  The type of player who will also, literally, put his body on the line for the team.

If a squad lacking a bit of direction and self belief has been your problem, then you couldn't have asked for a better man than Gaz to have in the changing room.

As if that wasn't enough, top bloke and total gent off the park....oh and he has his coaching badges....and is always willing to take time to talk with fans.

You could do worse than give him the captain's arm band.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

17 minutes ago, CaleyD said:

Gary is without doubt a leader...on and off the park.  The type of player who will also, literally, put his body on the line for the team.

If a squad lacking a bit of direction and self belief has been your problem, then you couldn't have asked for a better man than Gaz to have in the changing room.

As if that wasn't enough, top bloke and total gent off the park....oh and he has his coaching badges....and is always willing to take time to talk with fans.

You could do worse than give him the captain's arm band.

Thanks, he sounds perfect for us!  Everything you said is exactly what we need, I can't wait to see him on the pitch.

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, MrGloverLover said:

Thanks, he sounds perfect for us!  Everything you said is exactly what we need, I can't wait to see him on the pitch.

Good luck for next season. I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Yeovil since your FA Cup exploits in your non league days. With all due respect to Buckie Thistle, far and away my favourite team in green and white hoops.

As has been said, Gary Warren is a true professional and a gentleman. He may be just a little past his prime but you will never fault his dedication and commitment.

3 hours ago, MrGloverLover said:

I think it will depend on how your game is played in Div2. If it's direct, back to front, I think Gary will lap it up and do a great job for you.

Your management have picked up a bargain in Warren, we should never have told him he was not wanted, you have got a winner, leader and gentlemen, he will encourage your younger players and run through a brick wall such is his commitment, i can only see yeovil going forward, unfortunately we are going backwards rapidly, good luck next season.

2 minutes ago, filtongas said:

Your management have picked up a bargain in Warren, we should never have told him he was not wanted, you have got a winner, leader and gentlemen, he will encourage your younger players and run through a brick wall such is his commitment, i can only see yeovil going forward, unfortunately we are going backwards rapidly, good luck next season.

Not sure I agree with your last sentence. We may be going backwards still in the board room but on the field, we have arrested the decline and, in the latter part of last season, showed every sign of starting to move forward again. I am disappointed to see Gary Warren go as the latest victim of cost cutting but remain optimistic for the season ahead.

• Agree 5

21 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

Not sure I agree with your last sentence. We may be going backwards still in the board room but on the field, we have arrested the decline and, in the latter part of last season, showed every sign of starting to move forward again. I am disappointed to see Gary Warren go as the latest victim of cost cutting but remain optimistic for the season ahead.

Until we see the next set of accounts (and the ones for the forthcoming year), I'm not at all convinced that there has been any significant cost cutting at the club.  We may be spending less on the football side of things, but it would also appear that we are spending a helluva lot more on the non-footballing side.

On the footballing side...given the amount of change that has happened with the squad, I don't think we can draw comparison with what happened at the end of last season and what we should expect from the start of this season.  That's not to say that we shouldn't have any hope and/or opinion on how things may play out, just that it should be based on what's there, not what was there.  I think my feelings for events on the park for the upcoming campaign could be best described as nervous optimism!

I WANT TO.jpg

On 6/27/2018 at 9:42 PM, caleyboy said:

Oh come on. Of course it was JR that told him but he was obviously instructed to.

How do know that?   Robbo is given a budget, how he spends it is up to him, not the board!   Get back to earth.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, CaleyD said:

Until we see the next set of accounts (and the ones for the forthcoming year), I'm not at all convinced that there has been any significant cost cutting at the club. 

As per my last post on this topic I am still to be convinced that agreeing a settlement for Warren itself will yield savings. There are negative effects which the way this event was handled  and the effect beyond just the outgoings to the player but what he brought into the club or his contribution influences. Getting rid of one of the most marketable assets doesn't always correspond to surplus cash at the end of the season.

• Agree 3

Gaz was a great servant to the club, put his body on the line, led from the front and saw our best times. It was lovely to see him lift a cup as captain last season after missing the previous two finals. However there were signs at the end of the relegation season and last season that he was losing a yard or two of pace. 

OK the club made it known that he was available to go if he could find another suitable club but if he couldn't he was welcome to see out his contract. 

It is a huge challenge to balance the books and it seems we've arrived where both parties will be content ....

1. Gaz has gone back to his neck of the woods to a decent, standard ... closer to his family no doubt ... and teaming up with an old ICT pal (Fisher). 

2. The club has released a more expensive, ageing player where recent, younger, very promising replacements have recently been recruited.

What's the big problem? Do we really have to take a pop at the board at every potential opportunity ... or can we not choose to be a bit more positive and encouraging even?

P.S. even our more affluent near neighbours have seen the need / financial benefit of agreeing the release of their well paid captain? I'm not sure Uncle Roy has taken the same flack. 

• Agree 4

This is not a pop!   The Chairman said himself the vision was to '...restore trust...be more open and transparent...better communication, better collaboration...' and the Pride of the Highlands catchphrase had been tarnished, and the solution was everybody engaged, everybody participating https://stv.tv/sport/football/1395967-new-inverness-chairman-targets-top-flight-return/

Not only has that not materialised it has got worse.  Look at the Draper issue.  The season ticket pricing last year.  Twice the knee-jerk, heavy handed attacks on fans.  No progress on the 25th anniversary plans for February, no fan collaboration on that organising committee (in place since February).   6th longest-serving player and captain forced out and when the sage dragged out for a month and was finally settled and he left, fans heard from P&J (with details of the departure).

This year the only direct communication from Mr Rae to fans has been a scan of a letter of complaint to the SPFL, to highlight dire finances, and an unacceptable behaviour statement.  Indeed that was the last one, three months ago.  

I'm not sure why your default for fans is to prostrate themselves submissively, I wouldn't do that for any board.  They were not invited by the fans, last I heard, and don't seem to be fledgling trainees in need of reassurance.  View fans as powerful stakeholders, which they absolutely are (certainly at Dundee Utd they are, and Dunfermline).

There has been the club shop and a move to automatic ticketing gates, in a year.   Asides from the chairman/board, we have had a CEO in since November but yet again, no engagement, no collaboration, no communication - I am using Mr Rae's words .

Edited by Glover
  • Agree 1
  • Facepalm 1

11 hours ago, MrGloverLover said:

Hi everyone, i'm a Yeovil Town fan and we've just announced Gary Warren as our latest signing.  I just wondered your thoughts on him moving to a (not very successful) EFL League 2 club?  Is he a leader on the pitch?  We really need some of them. 

While he has lost a yard or two of place over the last couple of years, he's still a solid defender and his positioning more than pace was always more of his forte.  If you're playing a back four, you'll need a ball player in next to him, he's more of a Terry Butcher than Gerard Pique so to speak.  I remember when he signed, we had Newport fans on here raving about him and it's no surprise to see our fans attesting to those very claims made six years ago.

Some people aren't getting it. Most accept that moving Gary on was a necessary evil. However what is disappointing in the nature and manner of the exit. He was a player who went above and beyond his duties. He was our club captain. He therefore deserved a bit more respect rather than forced out the club via the backdoor with a shoddy statement. 

• Agree 6

8 hours ago, cif73 said:

Gaz was a great servant to the club, put his body on the line, led from the front and saw our best times. It was lovely to see him lift a cup as captain last season after missing the previous two finals. However there were signs at the end of the relegation season and last season that he was losing a yard or two of pace. 

OK the club made it known that he was available to go if he could find another suitable club but if he couldn't he was welcome to see out his contract. 

It is a huge challenge to balance the books and it seems we've arrived where both parties will be content ....

1. Gaz has gone back to his neck of the woods to a decent, standard ... closer to his family no doubt ... and teaming up with an old ICT pal (Fisher). 

2. The club has released a more expensive, ageing player where recent, younger, very promising replacements have recently been recruited.

What's the big problem? Do we really have to take a pop at the board at every potential opportunity ... or can we not choose to be a bit more positive and encouraging even?

P.S. even our more affluent near neighbours have seen the need / financial benefit of agreeing the release of their well paid captain? I'm not sure Uncle Roy has taken the same flack. 

Pretty much agree with everything you say....as far as I can see everyone wins. Gary now has a longer contract on possibly more money, we have rebalanced the squad financially, and certainly from an age point of view. Imagine if Warren had got an injury next season, he would have been in a more vulnerable position in terms of his next contract. We've lost a good man no doubt, with plenty of experience, a great servant....it was ashame he was banned for two of our finals. However certainly in our relegation season there were a few on here having a pop at him and it's probably true that he might not have been first choice next season.

It's difficult for the board to get it right, not least since social media, always outflanks you. There was obviously suggestions being made, as in 'if you fancy finding yourself a better contract elsewhere we wont stand in your way/demand a fee' but that has empowered Gary. In the end the board (any board) will never satisfy all the fans nor that it needs to....yes I get 'more transparency, openess' thing, but just what do we really expect with player contracts and transfers.

Someone else has suggested the board is a 'shambles'...really? At the end of the season people were speculating about whether we were in financial trouble or if we could avoid going part time. Yet what I see is a club that's got key players on extended/better contracts (and longer than a year!) and recruited five new players in good time (yes we lost Vigurs), leaving us with squad that has some potential and longevity and no sign of going part-time as well as organising itself off the park.

Sure people have had issues with the departures of Gary, and Ross Draper and David Raven previously, but ultimately the club makes 'business' decisions about what it can afford and fund.

• Agree 5

38 minutes ago, Eagle4Caley said:

Pretty much agree with everything you say....as far as I can see everyone wins. Gary now has a longer contract on possibly more money, we have rebalanced the squad financially, and certainly from an age point of view. Imagine if Warren had got an injury next season, he would have been in a more vulnerable position in terms of his next contract. We've lost a good man no doubt, with plenty of experience, a great servant....it was ashame he was banned for two of our finals. However certainly in our relegation season there were a few on here having a pop at him and it's probably true that he might not have been first choice next season.

It's difficult for the board to get it right, not least since social media, always outflanks you. There was obviously suggestions being made, as in 'if you fancy finding yourself a better contract elsewhere we wont stand in your way/demand a fee' but that has empowered Gary. In the end the board (any board) will never satisfy all the fans nor that it needs to....yes I get 'more transparency, openess' thing, but just what do we really expect with player contracts and transfers.

Someone else has suggested the board is a 'shambles'...really? At the end of the season people were speculating about whether we were in financial trouble or if we could avoid going part time. Yet what I see is a club that's got key players on extended/better contracts (and longer than a year!) and recruited five new players in good time (yes we lost Vigurs), leaving us with squad that has some potential and longevity and no sign of going part-time as well as organising itself off the park.

Sure people have had issues with the departures of Gary, and Ross Draper and David Raven previously, but ultimately the club makes 'business' decisions about what it can afford and fund.

best post in this whole thread 

It’s all part of good discourse to be debating this as it will truly orient fan stance over this.

Yes the board makes business decisions about what it can afford and fund.  That is board 101.  If we are to judge the board on that, ok, decent marks.  The board instruct and oversee a lot of compliance and regulations also, board 101.  

Would you agree that fan engagement is board 101 in addition?  

Edited by Glover
Leading question

I can't believe that people actually think that Yeovil have made a good signing with Gary. He is clearly at the end of his career and I suspect getting closer to home and playing in the reserves is going to be his swan song. Most people did not think that he would get a game for us and now some are making him the captain of Yeovil. Good luck Gary and thanks for the great memories.

• Agree 1

Sure the board have made some PR and communication gaffes BUT their undoubted initial task was to sort out the financial stability whilst trying not to affect the team balance and keep hope for the new season. I actually think that they may well have achieved that. I would have also thought that Robbo would have been off ski if he smelt a rat. I think that we are better prepared pre-season than we ever have been before. I think that we have a squad that can hold it's own in this league. I also think that if the players develop then we will be in the next set of play offs. The board are on a hiding to nothing with the vultures waiting to pounce on mere scraps of mistakes. Now Stage 1 is complete it is now the time to look at the other improvements which need to be made. I was hoping that CJT would be part of bringing that about but it feels like there continues to be an internal political power game continuing. The only way is up but that has to be together.

• Agree 6