Sign in to follow this  
Caman

How many more needed for 18/19 season?

Ok for strikers now I would say. 

1 versatile defender?

1 more midfielder?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

We have 2 shillings and five pence left.

We did until John Robertson blew it on half a macaroni pie.

1 hour ago, Kingsmills said:

We did until John Robertson blew it on half a macaroni pie.

He'll get the whole Macaroni stadium when he moves to Livi.

• Funny 2
  • Sad 1

If he does it may prove to be a premature move for John.

He did very well here at ICT last season  and the prospects for this coming season look bright for the club.(us , that is)  John should stay where he is appreciated .

Cheers from me  in, finally, sunny British Columbia, Canada , the World.

21 minutes ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

He did very well here at ICT last season 

I feel like the minority supporter on here in thinking almost the exact opposite and being less than impressed with a decent final 12 games of the season and a 'Mickey Mouse' cup. Being worse than honking for the first 12 or so league games, being knocked out of both cups rather softly - I'm not sure there is much to really suggest Robbo did anything more than satisfactory at best.

• Agree 1
  • Facepalm 2

As for players - if we get rid of Warren we will need a CB as cover and given the departure of Vigurs we need a player to step into the CM enforcer role - Trafford may be able to do that. But if Warren does go then it will show up a real lack of strong leadership in the team so we need a replacement of a similar nature.

4 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

I feel like the minority supporter on here in thinking almost the exact opposite and being less than impressed with a decent final 12 games of the season and a 'Mickey Mouse' cup. Being worse than honking for the first 12 or so league games, being knocked out of both cups rather softly - I'm not sure there is much to really suggest Robbo did anything more than satisfactory at best.

We got off to a bad start.....but in 29 league games from 30th Sept we lost just 6 games out of 29 with 3 of those when down to 10 men. Robbo had to pretty much rebuild the team, especially the striking element, from a budget that only allows out-of-contract and free-transfer options. It was clear from early season that morale was bad and team spirit broken. But Robbo forged a team that became an effective defensive unit, looked creative in midfield and eventually found a scoring touch. Not the finished product perhaps, or maybe we had just a bit too much to do. People tend to think a relegated side has an advantage over the other clubs in the league it has fallen into, rather forgetting the reasons why the team got relegated in the first place, and the parachute money in Scottish football is pretty insignificant as to be no advantage.

The Irn-Bru cup is a 'Mickey Mouse' cup, but everyone enjoyed winning it, and our league form did not suffer. Cup games are lotteries, Falkirk knocked us out of the League Cup when we were at our weakest, as for the SC we lost to a Premiership club after a replay, hardly a soft exit.

In terms of the overall thread, we seem to have done our business early, acquiring a proper right back, a replacement for the largely ineffective  (and disappointingly so) Mulraney, a (perhaps) stronger replacement for Bell giving us a decent forward line up, and a midfielder in for Vigurs. Obviously it remains to be seen how big a loss Vigurs is next season but there are useful combinations from Trafford, Polworth, Beith, Calder, Chalmers, Doran.

I'd suggest we are one short in the defence, even before we discuss Warren staying or finding a new home

Edited by Eagle4Caley
  • Agree 5

I agree, a centre half is our priority.

Assuming Rooney will be first choice right back, Mckay can cover when required.

We have cover for Tremarco with Calder and Chalmers, but only Donaldson, Mckay and Warren (if still here) in the middle, with only Tremarco really as emergency back up.

59 minutes ago, Robert said:

I agree, a centre half is our priority.

Assuming Rooney will be first choice right back, Mckay can cover when required.

We have cover for Tremarco with Calder and Chalmers, but only Donaldson, Mckay and Warren (if still here) in the middle, with only Tremarco really as emergency back up.

Name Started Sub (on) Goals Yellows Reds

5 Warren, Gary 25 3 4 4 1

22 Mckay, Brad 44 1 2 17 1
23 Donaldson, Coll 32 1 1 8 0

Another Centre Back would appear to be the priority with the ability to fill in at right back, as a preference. 

Above stats speak for themselves.

Would be interesting how many of Brad's yellows he picked up when paired with Donaldson, as opposed to Warren. 

What Eagle for Caley has just said; -  and what represent what I was thinking about when I posted  above.  The club has been cash strapped right  from the word "go" so how could any manager do other than what he has done to start to  build a fantastic team?

Mulraney spoiled what could have been  his very positive  influence on the team by his tantrums (and on his own development  by the way)  and I think that John 's influence with Hearts made sure that he did not hang around the Caley dressing room for that much longer. Which I think was  the right course of action, even overdue. . One drop of poison in a chalice full of good wine can kill someone….?

Like the posts above, some of which are really negative,  we don't seem to appreciate  too much of the positive results or actions that John Robertson's influence yielded as time wore on. What a run at the end -- is that not to his absolute credit? A few more games and we may well have been promoted for goodness sake. He just ran out of time. It wasn't anything he had done wrong. And if we don't praise our manager for this we could lose him . Then what ?

What that run at the end  showed was that his influence, decisions, etc. were on the right track and,  speculation apart,  the fact of the matter is that, despite his being in a very difficult situation, he was bang-on and deserves to retain his Managerial position -- with a raise. But for the latter he will be lucky to see a pound of it in view of the current financial situation. This coming season is going to be an acid test of this team, John's influence and the future of the club.  My cheque is in the mail.  :clapoverhead:

On 6/10/2018 at 8:24 AM, Eagle4Caley said:

We got off to a bad start.....but in 29 league games from 30th Sept we lost just 6 games out of 29 with 3 of those when down to 10 men. Robbo had to pretty much rebuild the team, especially the striking element, from a budget that only allows out-of-contract and free-transfer options. It was clear from early season that morale was bad and team spirit broken. But Robbo forged a team that became an effective defensive unit, looked creative in midfield and eventually found a scoring touch. Not the finished product perhaps, or maybe we had just a bit too much to do. People tend to think a relegated side has an advantage over the other clubs in the league it has fallen into, rather forgetting the reasons why the team got relegated in the first place, and the parachute money in Scottish football is pretty insignificant as to be no advantage.

The Irn-Bru cup is a 'Mickey Mouse' cup, but everyone enjoyed winning it, and our league form did not suffer. Cup games are lotteries, Falkirk knocked us out of the League Cup when we were at our weakest, as for the SC we lost to a Premiership club after a replay, hardly a soft exit.

In terms of the overall thread, we seem to have done our business early, acquiring a proper right back, a replacement for the largely ineffective  (and disappointingly so) Mulraney, a (perhaps) stronger replacement for Bell giving us a decent forward line up, and a midfielder in for Vigurs. Obviously it remains to be seen how big a loss Vigurs is next season but there are useful combinations from Trafford, Polworth, Beith, Calder, Chalmers, Doran.

I'd suggest we are one short in the defence, even before we discuss Warren staying or finding a new home

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/1498242/caley-thistle-bring-back-celtic-defender-jamie-mccart-on-two-year-deal/

I wasn't expecting quite such a quick response by the club to my comment!

He obviously enjoyed his stay up here even though it was a difficult period

Caley doing some good work early in the close season, on paper, hope they all work out

• Agree 1

On 6/10/2018 at 3:45 AM, bdu98196 said:

Have to respectfully disagree with you here...given the mess that the club was in at the start of last season, Robbo has done a great job in stabilising things & making effective signings...the good run at the end of last season was an indication of things starting to 'click' & the signs of good progress.

Don't forget, Dunfermline went down twice & St Mirren almost did as well...that could very easily have been us too - credit to Robbo for it not being!

• Agree 2