Caman

Liam Polworth

Will this be his last season as an ICT player? 

If he gets the undeserved grief he has in previous seasons then I think it will be. 

I am anticipating a PCA in January with the likes of Dundee or Motherwell tbh.

Yes, will be off.  I can understand it too, so hopefully that’s been factored in by the signings.

• Agree 1

I would think it will depend on what kind of season he has. If he has a really good season he will have a number of clubs looking for him. If he doesn't perform to his capabilities then I would expect he will still be here.

37 minutes ago, caleyboy said:

I would think it will depend on what kind of season he has. If he has a really good season he will have a number of clubs looking for him. If he doesn't perform to his capabilities then I would expect he will still be here.

It will also depend on which league we find ourselves in. If we are still in the Championship he may well want to better himself elsewhere. If we somehow manage to gain promotion it could be a different matter.

A pay rise is a pay rise is a pay rise.  Draper, Raven, Fon Williams, Vigurs, Warren - and even Rice- and next Polworth - we don’t speculate to accumulate now, we cut our Championship cloth.  Polworth is off to make hay while (where) the sun shines.  No 3 players after Warren and no deal tempting enough for Polworth.  

OFW back here later in year after his loan runs out. Wiil effect January transfer window budget. 

Polworth will take with him 15 assists a season.  Next was who? Trafford with 3?  

The squad will have no player with a history of assists.  It currently has no player with a history of goals worth noting at this level.  Polworth’s imminent departure is significant.  Thanks to Caman for starting this thread.

Pollys defo gonna leave no matter what division wer in could do a turn for a mediocre premier side i.e. Dundee or Hamilton which is where hel end up

If Polworth wants to accept a move to the likes of Dundee or Hamilton or clubs of a similar stature, then that shows he has little faith in his ability to move to a bigger club. The way to get a better move is to do your talking on the park so the ball is in his court. Do I think the club should be pushing the boat out to offer him a bigger contract, no, as I don't think he is performing to a level that warrants it. Sure he has potential but he needs to up and improve his game if he wants a big move. Dome of the criticism he gets is undeserved but not all of it as his attitude, at times, is not what it should be.

If he goes he goes, no player is irreplaceable.

• Agree 1

Big season for Polly IMO. No Vigurs, Tansey, Draper, Christie or other higher profile guys anymore, just Doran who is still coming back from injury - its his chance to be a real key player in the midfield. There is a lot of expectation on him now and rightly so, he has been here for years, no longer a youngster and has been given lots game time in comparison to his peers (most of whom were let go with less opportunities).

If come the end of the season he has done well he will get a more appealing or lucrative contract offer then he will probably leave, if he gets offered a deal at a club at a higher level he will leave (unless lacking ambition) - if he has a horror show then he will end up staying or getting on Championship offers. The direction for his career now is in his own hands.

• Agree 5

Spot on, bdu.  He is no longer a young lad breaking through, he is 23 and I believe we only have one outfield player in the squad who is over 26.  He is now one of the most experienced players in the squad and this is going to be a crucial year for him.  Other players will be looking to him to show some leadership qualities and to take control of the game.  This season represents a tremendous opportunity for him. Hopefully he will do well and want to stay here for the Premiership campaign next season.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Polworth took a lot of stick last season from quite a few posters on here, not all of it justified imo, yet he still ended up with the best 'assist' record in the league.  Let's try and get behind him a bit more this year and see what he can do with encouragement rather than negativity.

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, Caman said:

Will this be his last season as an ICT player? 

If he gets the undeserved grief he has in previous seasons then I think it will be. 

Weren't you one of the people giving him the undeserved grief?

I will admit I've been a critic and given last season he along with vigurs, Mulraney, Warren, tremarco and McKay were the key players remaining with significant Premiership experience. Given the very poor performances on some games pretty much all have been criticised at some point. The quality of players brought in as we cut costs was cited on here as poor and journeymen or jobbers so to expect our experienced and established guys to lead by example and out shine them isn't unrealistic. Too often we had abject performances from not just Polly but the whole team so have every right to comment on whether guys are showing heart, fight, desire to work at these lower levels.

However that does not excuse personal insults and abuse although it seems to some fans of any criticism aligns to that.

What I noticed at the pre season game against Clach was that how vocal Polworth was, he was giving encouragement and instruction to the players around him, especially the newer recruits to the squad. So maybe this is the season that he takes more responsibility in the team. Tremarco said there should be more leaders on the pitch, and Polworth is one of our most experienced players now.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Glover said:

A pay rise is a pay rise is a pay rise.  Draper, Raven, Fon Williams, Vigurs, Warren - and even Rice- and next Polworth - we don’t speculate to accumulate now, we cut our Championship cloth.  Polworth is off to make hay while (where) the sun shines.  No 3 players after Warren and no deal tempting enough for Polworth.  

Speculate to accumulate like Aston Villa have just done last season?

Anyone who is saying things like “Polworth hasn’t been good enough” “time for Polly to step up” clearly wasn’t paying attention last season. He was our best player alongside Vigurs by a country mile, laying on more assists than any other player in the championship and providing consistently good performances. Losing him would be devastating - about time folk appreciated how crucial he is to us!

• Agree 7

2 hours ago, Tree said:

Speculate to accumulate like Aston Villa have just done last season?

Not really sure Eng/Sco compares very seamlessly.   Did not  advocate it, just highlighting that we are becoming sustainable for the Championship.  That will include Polworth leaving.  Good, bad or indifferent we can now only keep players until they perform at a better level than mid-Championship and seek wages comparable to that level.

Surely this thread is just going over the same old again and again and again. Why not give the boy a break and just leave him to prove he can achieve his potential.

• Agree 5

Our pals from over the bridge are interested in him apparently, but they are unwilling to pay a fee at present. Personally, I wouldn’t be shocked to find him in Dingwall by the end of the transfer window.

1 hour ago, Sir C the 3rd said:

Our pals from over the bridge are interested in him apparently, but they are unwilling to pay a fee at present. Personally, I wouldn’t be shocked to find him in Dingwall by the end of the transfer window.

Well if that's the case it shows a lack of ambition and confidence in his own abilities moving for short term financial gain. They are a Championship club with no guarantee of promotion like ourselves - but end of this upcoming season he is a free agent. Perform well this year and achieve with a better offer and higher level next year, otherwise its signing for a club and showing that being lower level potentially for 2 or 3 seasons is acceptable providing the cash is right.

Edited by bdu98196
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Sir C the 3rd said:

so be it

Have to only add that WHY are so many anti feckin Polly - He is one of our own - and he is usually one of the better players but one that when he makes a mistake the vultures jump on it and on him. What a player he would be if he had the crowd behind him and applauding the majority of positives instead of the minority of negatives.

• Agree 10