Caledonian FC and Inverness Thistle stats

bmills

Hi,

Is anybody able to direct me to the playing records for Caledonian Thistle and Inverness Thistle for the last few years up into 1994 eg dates, opponents, results, scores and scorers?

Can't find anything anywhere and I recently came into possession of a match video of a game between Calet and Inverness Thistle but can't find the date anywhere for when it would have been played.  Looks like 1989-90 judging by the kits and finished 2-1 to Caley (Charlie Christie and Billy Urquhatt for Caley and an overhead kick from inside the 6 yard box for Thistle)

Thanks.  Any help much appreciated.

Is that a tape? Got a few from Sergei’s time but not anything that early. Got a few years of Caley results though but I never went out of my way to gather them. Sometimes the Caley programme printed the previous season’s results.

Sounds like bmillsy that was buying me doubles in Brechin about 20 years ago ?

9 hours ago, bmills said:

Hi,

Is anybody able to direct me to the playing records for Caledonian Thistle and Inverness Thistle for the last few years up into 1994 eg dates, opponents, results, scores and scorers?

Can't find anything anywhere and I recently came into possession of a match video of a game between Calet and Inverness Thistle but cais't find the date anywhere for when it would have been played.  Looks like 1989-90 judging by the kits and finished 2-1 to Caley (Charlie Christie and Billy Urquhatt for Caley and an overhead kick from inside the 6 yard box for Thistle)

Thanks.  Any help much appreciated.

The game you are talking about took place on wednesday 25th April 1990. Christie and Urquhart scored for Caley, and It was Alan Macdonald who got the overhead kick goal for the Jags. The attendance at Telford Street was 541. The teams were Caley - Morrison, Davidson, Mann, Docherty, Andrew, Macallister, Macdonald, Lisle, Urquhart, Christie, Robertson. Thistle - Calder, Skinner, Stevenson, Mitchell, Milroy, Clark, Macdonald, Penman, Taylor, Sutherland, Noble. I hope this Is of use to you.

2 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

The game you are talking about took place on wednesday 25th April 1990. Christie and Urquhart scored for Caley, and It was Alan Macdonald who got the overhead kick goal for the Jags. The attendance at Telford Street was 541. 

Thanks very much for that, very much appreciated.   Spent the last couple of weeks scouring for results from those last few seasons but can't find anything at all anywhere online. 

Looked through a few old programmes.  Caley's 1993-94 results are covered in the 'Farewell To The Highland League' booklet and the Caley programmes themselves are quite good for a particular seasons but need late season programmes to be anywhere near comprehensive and the programmes themselves are harder and harder to find on eBay etc.

Sadly, the Thistle programmes don't seem to have much by way of a rundown of results for the season and seems to be more just match reports of the latest couple of games.

3 hours ago, TheMantis said:

Is that a tape? Got a few from Sergei’s time but not anything that early. Got a few years of Caley results though but I never went out of my way to gather them. Sometimes the Caley programme printed the previous season’s results.

Sounds like bmillsy that was buying me doubles in Brechin about 20 years ago ?

Hi!  Yes it is BMillsy that was buying doubles in Brechin about 20 years ago! You also kindly sent me some tapes of Caley / Caley Thistle footage from 1993/94/95 (news footage of the last ever derby, news report on the Caley Thistle 1st league game v Arbroath, North Of Scotland Cup Final 1994, etc).

The Caley v Thistle game from 1990 is on dvd.  I contacted HCVF a few weeks ago to see if they still have any of the old footage (and fully expected to be told that they don't).

Amazingly they came back with a list of games that they are happy to convert to dvd at £24 each.

For anybody that's interested, the full list was:

1. Inverness v Airdrie 

2. Inverness v Elgin

3. Inverness v Deveronvale (1993)

4. Caley v Huntly (1993)

5. Caley v Cove (1993)

6. Caley v Thistle

7. Caley v Keith (1993)

8. Caley v Lossiemouth (1993)

9. Caley v Ross County (undated)

10. Caley v Ross County (Feb 1994)

11. Caley v Cowdenbeath (Oct 1994)

12. Caley v Albion Rovers/Forfar highlights

13. Caley v Clach (Apr 1994)

14. Caley v Ross County (Oct 1994)

15. Caley v Dundee (Sep 1994)

16. Caley v East Stirling (Oct 1994)

17. Caley v Forfar (Sep 1994)

18. Caley v St Johnstone (1994)

19. Inverness Th v Lossiemouth (1994)

20. Inverness Th Billy Wilson Testimonial 1994

21. Caley v Dundee (penalties)

22. Caley v East Stirling (Feb 1995)

12 hours ago, Caley Stan said:

Mantis! Would be great if you could that video up on youtube.

Will try and get this uploaded soon!

Thanks for your replies.

Edited by bmills
More mistypes

35 minutes ago, bmills said:

The Caley v Thistle game from 1990 is on dvd.  I contacted HCVF a few weeks ago to see if they still have any of the old footage (and fully expected to be told that they don't).

Amazingly they came back with a list of games that they are happy to convert to dvd at £24 each.

Maybe worth asking them if they are willing to sell you a job lot of videos (they used to charge £10 each) and you could convert them yourself.

You would think it would be the responsibility of the parent club to accurately collate all the info regarding results and history etc

After all they stripped the assets took the names and attempted and somewhat failed to take the majority of the Inverness football fraternity with them

I think a measly few photos on the stadium wall and the HFA in Dingwall is totally unacceptable in my opinion 

Had it not been for the likes of Mantis and the contributors to his nostalgia site there would be absolutely nothing

Dougal

I asked at the club several years ago if they could supply me with some details, results, fixtures etc,  of some old Higland League games.  The quizzical look I got was as if I had asked for some secrets from the vault. After some months had passed I asked again, and again quizzical looks to which I was informed that they couldn't help me. With ICT taking both Caley and Thistles name, I thought that their respected histories would been held in high esteem, and the new club would have kept a detailed history of the old clubs records. I therfore had to spend months at the library going through old couriers and highland news to get the info I required, Aberdeen library was also very helpful but I had to pay for the information. I do believe that there should be a football museum at the club, detailing the history of Caley and Thistle, to show the future generations where ICTFC came from.

4 hours ago, TheMantis said:

Maybe worth asking them if they are willing to sell you a job lot of videos (they used to charge £10 each) and you could convert them yourself.

They said they don't have any videos for sale.  Any match footage would need to be transferred onto dvd.

Asked about discount for bulk purchase - they said they'd entertain £20 per dvd for a bulk order.  Thought it'd be worth letting you all know in case anyone was interested in this old footage.  I couldn't believe they had any at all after all these years.  They had to go away and rifle through the vaults and came back to me about a week later.   When they started going through the list I was hoping Caley 15 Golspie Sutherland 0 might be in there but alas not!

1 hour ago, Jaggernaut said:

I asked at the club several years ago if they could supply me with some details, results, fixtures etc,  of some old Higland League games.  The quizzical look I got was as if I had asked for some secrets from the vault. After some months had passed I asked again, and again quizzical looks to which I was informed that they couldn't help me. With ICT taking both Caley and Thistles name, I thought that their respected histories would been held in high esteem, and the new club would have kept a detailed history of the old clubs records. I therfore had to spend months at the library going through old couriers and highland news to get the info I required, Aberdeen library was also very helpful but I had to pay for the information. I do believe that there should be a football museum at the club, detailing the history of Caley and Thistle, to show the future generations where ICTFC came from.

Would it worth putting together fixtures, results, dates, scores, scorers between us for late 80's / early 90's either on this site or on Wikipedia?  Could add to it over time.  I'd be happy to scan pages from old programmes to verify.

1 hour ago, CaleyD said:

I think I'm right in saying that both pre-merger clubs suffered a loss of official records due to fire (not at the same time)?

Feck me - If I knew the Caley records were being stored in the vaults of the unused Kingsmills I would never had …….. match ?

1 hour ago, bmills said:

Would it worth putting together fixtures, results, dates, scores, scorers between us for late 80's / early 90's either on this site or on Wikipedia?  Could add to it over time.  I'd be happy to scan pages from old programmes to verify.

@Scotty  and I might have a little project in the pipeline that could cater for this.  Will check with him when he gets back from holiday.

Just got back from holiday yesterday and headed to the lake for a much needed rest this weekend ! Isn't it funny how you need a holiday to recover from your holiday !!! According to the app on my phone, in 4 days at Disney and 6 days in Hollywood/LA we walked about 110 miles in total (I didnt hire a car - just used Uber/Lyft for long distances and shanks' pony for the rest) ... didn't measure the distance in San Francisco as my iPhone camera caught the dreaded OIS camera shake syndrome so it got left behind in the apartment in favour of an old Samsung phone (with a better camera!) most days but on the one day I did take it we covered 12 miles !  

I think the little project that @CaleyD references might be able to accommodate this provided someone (or a few folk) were happy to do the data entry .... need to check the logistics as we would likely have to set up separate instances for Caley and Thistle but its probably do-able and eminently suited to this kind of thing.  

14 hours ago, Scotty said:

I think the little project that @CaleyD references might be able to accommodate this provided someone (or a few folk) were happy to do the data entry .... need to check the logistics as we would likely have to set up separate instances for Caley and Thistle but its probably do-able and eminently suited to this kind of thing.  

This is great news.

I'd be happy to help out with the data inputting.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Another one for you here.

Has anybody got any information on another game from 1989-90.

Its another one that I've managed to get on dvd.  The game is between Caley and Elgin City.

Finished 2-1 to Elgin with Wilson Robertson getting the Caley goal. 

Anybody know the date of the game?  I promise I'll get these games on YouTube soon.

Also, got the full penalty shoot out v Airdrie plus highlights of the game but strangely not the 2 goals from the game.  @TheMantis am I right in thinking you have the goals on video?  Would be great to merge our footage for this game and upload to YouTube.

Thanks

Edited by bmills
Correction

1 hour ago, bmills said:

Hi all,

Another one for you here.

Has anybody got any information on another game from 1989-90.

Its another one that I've managed to get on dvd.  The game is between Caley and Elgin City.

Finished 2-1 to Elgin with Wilson Robertson getting the Caley goal. 

Anybody know the date of the game?  I promise I'll get these games on YouTube soon.

Also, got the full penalty shoot out v Airdrie plus highlights of the game but strangely not the 2 goals from the game.  @TheMantis am I right in thinking you have the goals on video?  Would be great to merge our footage for this game and upload to YouTube.

Thanks

I think the date was wednesday 18th April 1990.

37 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

I think the date was wednesday 18th April 1990.

Looks a bit dark for that time of year. 

Was there perhaps a North Of Scotland Cup game earlier in the season?  I saw a North Cup game on the fixture list for the Saturday after the Airdrie replay but didn't know if it was this game or if it even went ahead on the scheduled date given the snowfall during the Airdrie game.

Edited by bmills
Mistype

23 minutes ago, bmills said:

Looks a bit dark for that time of year. 

Was there perhaps a North Of Scotland Cup game earlieis in the season?  I saw a North Cup game on the fixture list for the Saturday after the Airdrie replay but didn't know if it was this game or if it even went ahead on the scheduled date given the snowfall during the Airdrie game.

Caley played Elgin In the McEwans Lager North of Scotland Cup 1st round on Saturday 3rd February 1990 but the score from the paper Is 4 - 1 to Elgin.

31 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Caley played Elgin In the McEwans Lager North of Scotland Cup 1st round on Saturday 3rd February 1990 but the score from the paper Is 4 - 1 to Elgin.

Perhaps it could have been the 18th April game then.  Might make sense because the Elgin fans were singing championees.

Does the paper have it down as 2-1 to Elgin with Wilson Robertson scoring on 75 minutes and Elgin getting the winner on 83 minutes?

Do you know who got the goals for Elgin?

Thanks 

4 minutes ago, bmills said:

Perhaps it could have been the 18th April game then.  Might make sense because the Elgin fans were singing championees.

Does the paper have it down as 2-1 to Elgin with Wilson Robertson itcoring on 75 minutes and Elgin getting the winner on 83 minutes?

Thanks 

No, I was a Jags supporter, so I only took the stats for their games, and just noted the results of the other TSB Highland League games. At that point Elgin had 76 points from 30 games, Caley had 70 from 32, so, as It was a 34 game league, Elgin were well on their way to the title.

3 hours ago, bmills said:

Thanks

This is too exciting for words. Does the video include the pitch invasion and Hamish Morrison being raised aloft by the crowd? I was 7. I sometimes wonder if it really happened. 

42 minutes ago, bmills said:

Does the paper have it down as 2-1 to Elgin with Wilson Robertson scoring on 75 minutes and Elgin getting the winner on 83 minutes?

Thanks 

I think 18/4 as well. It was HFL and definitely 2-1 on that date with Wilsie scoring. The programme editorial by Peter Corbett and the league table show that this game was win or bust. Haven't got the Elgin scorers. Have got the Airdrie goals somewhere so I'll have a look.

36 minutes ago, Caley Stan said:

This is too exciting for words. Does the video include the pitch invasion and Hamish Morrison being raised aloft by the crowd? I was 7. I sometimes wonder if it really happened. 

Yes it does include the pitch invasion and yes it does include Hamish Morrison being raised aloft by the crowd.  It looks like the cameraman was part of the pitch invasion.  Seems to dash on and films from right in front of Hamish as he carried off the pitch.

Can't believe the game went ahead that night looking at the severity of that blizzard.

28 minutes ago, TheMantis said:

I think 18/4 as well. It was HFL and definitely 2-1 on that date with Wilsie scoring. The programme editorial by Peter Corbett and the league table show that this game was win or bust. Haven't got the Elgin scorers. Have got the Airdrie goals somewhere so I'll have a look.

Tried downloading the Airdrie goals from the nostalgia page but it downloads as a .mov and says cannot play video due to invalid file format.

Does anybody have the programme from the Caley-Thistle game on 25th April 1990 that might give the Elgin scorers from the week before?

Will start putting Caley and Thistle highlights footage out from this YouTube account over the coming months:

https://youtu.be/m1VHK8z3o04

9 minutes ago, bmills said:

Yes it does include the pitch iisvasion and yes it does include Hamish Morrisonitbeing raised aloft by the crowd.  It looks like the cameraman was part of the pitch invasion.  Seems to dash on and films from right in front of Hamish as he carried off the pitch.

Can't believe the game went ahead that night looking at the severity of that blizzard.

Tried downloading the Airdrie goals from the nostalgia page but it downloads as a .mov and says cannot play video due to invalid file format.

Does anybody have the programme from the Caley-Thistle game on 25th April 1990 that might give the Elgin scorers from the week before?

Will start putting Caley and Thistle highlights footage out from this YouTube account over the coming months:

https://youtu.be/m1VHK8z3o04

I have that programme for that game, the Caley team lineup Is there and the scorer but not the Elgin team or scorers. Maybe the Elgin website might shed some light on It.