Caledonian FC and Inverness Thistle stats

bmills

Would anyone on forum hold any match info as far back as the late 70s or have amazing powers of recall ? My first Inverness derby was in 1977 or possibly 78 at Telford Street. I think a cup match, certainly a big crowd. I remember the Howden End was bursting at the seams & some of my school mates jumping about on the pitch before kick off. It was a resounding win for Caley 5-0 or 5-1 .. I grew up in Hilton a Thistle fan but Caley were very strong at the time. What I do remember is the 'responsible' adult with me took in a carry out ! I did have a google but can't pinpoint the game in question. Any info gratefully received thanks.

2 hours ago, Brigadadoo said:

Would anyone on forum hold any match info as far back as the late 70s or have amazing powers of recall ? My first Inverness derby was in 1977 or possibly 78 at Telford Street. I think a cup match, certainly a big crowd. I remember the Howden End was bursting at the seams & some of my school mates jumping about on the pitch before kick off. It was a resounding win for Caley 5-0 or 5-1 .. I grew up in Hilton a Thistle fan but Caley were very strong at the time. What I do remember is the 'responsible' adult with me took in a carry out ! I did have a google but can't pinpoint the game in question. Any info gratefully received thanks.

It may be the scottish cup prelimary round 1 at telford st on 17 december 1977. 5-0 to caley.

Some fantastic photos there and thank you very much providing the match reports for the last matches. 

Jaggernaut, what's your memories of the 1986/87 season?  Did Thistle start the season favourites?  Or was it a surprise title win?  Was the Parkhead game in 85 the impetus for the title win in 87 either financially or in terms of momentum?

I didn't put the Jags as favourites to win the league in 1986-87 season, the were 8th the season before, but I was hoping that they could kick on to 3 or 4 in the league, but as the season progressed, they were playing some of the best football I had seen from a Jags team for some considerable time, and I saw them in every game, home and away in the league winning year. In fact, they went the whole league unbeaten,  until the last game of the season when they fell to a home defeat to Peterhead. Some of the performances that season were breathtaking, and I put down to good recruitment. They had picked up Stevenson, Noble, Bain and Taylor and with a nucleus of already first team players of the calibre of Milroy, Black, Calder, and the emerging Charlie Christie, they had the makings of a really good side, and it came to a point that I couldn't see them getting beaten by anyone,  I expected them to win every game.

The 85 Scottish Cup defeat by Celtic wasn't the catalyst,  but the round before when they beat Kilmarnock, when the Jags league form wasn't at its best, was maybe a sign of what they could do when they fired on all cylinders. 

My only regret is that I wish they could have gone on further with that group of players, but with injuries and some players leaving, it just wasn't to be. I thought that getting rid of Brian Black as manager was a very negative move, not just because he was an ex classmate of mine, but he deserved more time for bringing the title up the hill, but his replacement,  Leishman, was the beginning of the end for the Jags. His recruitment was woeful and he got rid of some of our best players and didn't replace like for like.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

I have the Jags lineup but not the caley, or the scorers.

Thanks Jaggernaut from a personal perspective it would be informative to see the exact lineup. My first ever game was the summer 76 friendly with Celtic during  the 76/7 pre season. I know that nights lineup courtesy of the facebook page for Inverness Thistle memories so it would be interesting to contrast the lineups 18 months apart. ( also apologies to bmills I'm not trying to hijack your thread) 

I totally agree Stevenson & Taylor were fantastic signings for the Jags team of the mid 80s and a big loss to Clach. Bain and Noble were both originally in the Telford St youth league set up during the early 80s ( as was Charlie Christie & Danny MacDonald) but very few youngsters broke through directly into their first team. Stevie Polson being an obvious exception. Neither Thistle, (ñor Clach) had any significant youth structure I can recall during the 80s which could have kept the team progressing. Billy Wilson was a very consistent performer for us too. 

23 minutes ago, Brigadadoo said:

Thanks Jaggernaut from a personal perspective it would be informative to see the exact lineup. My first ever game was the summer 76 friendly with Celtic during  the 76/7 pre season. I know that nights lineup courtesy of the facebook page for Inverness Thistle memories so it would be interesting to contrast the lineups 18 months apart. ( also apologies to bmills I'm not trying to hijack your thread) 

The lineup for the Jags was Sievwright, Fraser, B.Black, Cumming, Bremner, Milroy, A.Black, Newlands, Bruce, Drews aind MacLean. Subs Kenny Munro and Smith.   Cumming was the player manager at this time.

• 2 years later...
On 9/26/2018 at 7:23 PM, Scotty said:

still in the pipeline but unless you want to front up the cash for this we all have mortgages to pay and families to feed.

Edit - you react as 'confused' dougal .... let me try to explain in with as few syllables as possible :   it takes time to set up, it takes time to get the data, it takes time to enter that data. A LOT of time. As we all have real lives to live and real obligations outside of this bubble then it will get done as and when/where time permits unless someone wants to pay us to take a sabbatical from our real jobs to speed things up .... therefore its still in our plans but no timeline is set.    

It’s been 4 years now I would have thought that would be classed as a LOT of time.

Are we blaming the pandemic or CaleyD?

It would be good to know has this project been finally binned.

Still confused  

Dougal

5 hours ago, dougal said:

It’s been 4 years now I would have thought that would be classed as a LOT of time.  Are we blaming the pandemic or CaleyD?

It would be good to know has this project been finally binned. Still confused  

What's to be confused about? Still same issues as before. Nobody wanting to volunteer for what would be a ton of research and then a s***load of data entry. It's taken better part of 2-3 years for two volunteers to painstakingly work through ICT results and we have another volunteer who is going to start going through player profiles and begin updating them over the winter. As this is an ICT site, the ICT portion will take priority, but the same software could be used on a subsite for both Caley and Thistle.

If anyone is willing to volunteer (yourself perhaps since it is clearly important to you?) then we can happily ramp this up and create access for any volunteer(s) who want to take on a similar task for Caley and/or Thistle.

I do have access to a lot of material that the late Ian Broadfoot provided to the site but his record keeping is more historical overview than day to day like his ICT stats. There are a lot of images and such like from research for his book but not season-by-season or game-by-game.

On 7/13/2018 at 2:55 PM, Scotty said:

I think the little project that @CaleyD references might be able to accommodate this provided someone (or a few folk) were happy to do the data entry .... need to check the logistics as we would likely have to set up separate instances for Caley and Thistle but its probably do-able and eminently suited to this kind of thing.  

This project was to update the software we were using for the ICT stats database. That was done and as noted, its taken 2-3 years for data entry and updates to get to where we are now with work still to happen on the player database. The red text highlighted above was and is the sticking point. (other than getting complete data or at least season-by-season)

On 9/26/2018 at 2:23 PM, Scotty said:

.... therefore its still in our plans but no timeline is set.    

Still applies based on answers above.