Scotty

18 minutes ago, LairdMattie said:

Sorry but losing 2 goals and almost a third to Cowdenbeath is very worrying when we are wanting to be promotion candidates. Sorry if that earns some down votes but we need better. 

Compared with last year ? It is pre-season. Winning becomes a mentality FFS.

• Agree 1

The Good thing for the high percentage of shots on target against last year where the percentage, good to see Walsh getting on the sheet as well as Oakley , was it a case  of switching off just after scoring that cost us the second goal.

Little bit worrying losing 2 goals and having one cleared off the line at the death, however would have taken that result if offered before the game

58 minutes ago, mcdonnell761 said:

The first goal was a screamer, 25 yards out and bullet into the top corner but the 2nd sounded really soft.

Never 25 yards for me, I thought he was right on the 18 yard line. Good strike though, took a quick touch and finished superbly. He’s a real hero round those parts, if he lost 3 stone he’d be even better  ?

43 minutes ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

We also possibly have the great advantage of playing the last game of the group stages knowing exactly what we have to do to qualify ?

Also the fixtures are kind to us. We play Raith on Saturday then have a break of a week until the Hearts game. Hearts are playing tomorrow, Saturday, Tuesday and Sunday. 

46 minutes ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Compared with last year ? It is pre-season. Winning becomes a mentality FFS.

Well I hope its just me preparing for the worst before we have even started. Alarm bells were ringing for me I wonder what Robbo would be saying to it. 

26 minutes ago, mcdonnell761 said:

Also the fixtures are kind to us. We play Raith on Saturday then have a break of a week until the Hearts game. Hearts are playing tomorrow, Saturday, Tuesday and Sunday. 

We play Raith next Tuesday there will be no one there on Saturday!

5 minutes ago, Kind of Blue said:

I will take a 5-2 away win against any lower league side as a good result, especially at this time in the season when the Robbo is trying to get his best side and formation.

An away win by three clear goals is a good result whatever the status of the opposition or stage of the season. An encouraging start.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, mcdonnell761 said:

We have been very fortunate with the way these group fixtures have panned out. Playing weak Highland League teams with split squads may have engendered a certain level of fitness but was never an adequate pre season for the competitive season ahead. Thanks to the SPFL fixture computer we have now been able to step up by playing a much better Highland League team with a full squad and to step up again by playing a league side.

Maybe something we should bear in mind for pre season next season when the fixture fairy might not be so kind to us again.

• Agree 1

A strangely unconvincing 5 - 2 win. We were slow out the blocks and took a long time to settle. The surface was poor which could be an excuse for some of the misplaced passes but some of the players still look like they need to blow the cobwebs away as there was some sloppy passages of play and a few defensive errors that fortunately weren't punished.

All too often the final ball or cross was played behind a team mate or didn't get past the opposition player so it was perhaps not surprise when Cowdenbeath took the lead when Sheerin crashed a fine effort in from the edge of the area. Missed our equaliser as I had to help @alternative maryhill with directions to the pie shop but Walsh got his first competitive goal for the club and then bagged his second when he collected the ball inside the home half and head goalwards before sending a low drive in off the post. A fortunate but welcome lead.

We were even more fortunate with our third when a suspiciously offside looking White won a high ball knocking down for Doran and he was able to steer the ball past McGurn.

Into the second half and Doran was in the thick of the action again. Heading towards the left hand post he tangled with a home player and went down but the referee waved play on. We added a fourth after McGurn did well to keep out a White effort from only a few yards out but before he could recover Oakley lashed in a fine strike.

Not so fine was the 5th goal which again looked like it might have been offside. Trafford hit a low drive from outside the box and it hit Doran who was trudging back out from the previous attack. With McGurn committed to his right the ball then went to his left with the deflection and ICT somehow found themselves 5 - 1 up.

Cowdenbeath netted a consolation when Sheerin nabbed his second from close range after Mckay (I think) got into a bit of a mess trying to defend a loose ball. It was almost 5 - 3 when the home side saw their final shot of the game cleared by Tremarco.

As I say above the scoreline looks good but it wasn't a great performance by any means. That said, Walsh looked impressive particularly when he appeared through the middle but too often he was stuck wide right. Austin had a very quiet game, very little came off for him so it wasn't much of a shock when he was subbed. Donaldson and Tremarco looked solid enough at the back but Mckay struggled under pressure and Rooney regressed as the game went on.

A few days rest now for the players which is probably coming at a good time ahead of the next competitive match against Raith.

• Agree 2

Not only did the third look offside, there appeared to be a handball too as Doran took it under control.

The first was an absolute beauty, as it came at the end of a decent move. White appeared to nod it down to Walsh and he curled it in from the edge of the box.

Impressed by Jordan White. Very powerful player, great hold-up work and yet a fair bit of skill too. Better version of George if you ask me. Austin does the other part of the game but not sure he's going to give us 20 a season.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

RIG has pretty much nailed last night's performance for me.  Until we scored the equaliser we were all over the place and showed an alarming reliance on long, high balls to the two target men up top. I sincerely hope this is not a  sign of things to come.

I've seen Tom Walsh twice now (@Keith and Cowdenbeath) and really like the look of the lad.  A very elegant and graceful player and not scared to have a pop.  Looks to be an inspired signing from Robbo and Co. and would be in my starting XI for Raith and Hearts.

Also, another towering performance at the back from big Coll.  Love his attitude and enthusiasm and would suggest he's nailed on captain material.  DUFC's loss is certainly our gain.

I thought Joe Chalmers and Fash Austin had nights to remember.  Austin I like as a player but he really struggled against the Cowden defence which is rather alarming. Given that he's a Leven loon and the animosity between East Fife and Cowden I'd have hoped he's have been motivated to get one over them but was far from convincing.

In terms of new faces I thought Rooney did ok but wasn't as convinced by White as Mantis.  Works hard and holds the ball up well enough but I'd have liked to have seen more end product.

Decent enough away support for a Tuesday night in darkest Fife.

I think Raith will be more of a test by which we can gauge where we are and will be watching out for the Hearts scoreline from my summer hols with interest. 

1 hour ago, ymip said:

RIG has pretty much nailed last night's performance for me.  Until we scored the equaliser we were all over the place and showed an alarming reliance on long, high balls to the two target men up top. I sincerely hope this is not a  sign of things to come.

I've seen Tom Walsh twice now (@Keith and Cowdenbeath) and really like the look of the lad.  A very elegant and graceful player and not scared to have a pop.  Looks to be an inspired signing from Robbo and Co. and would be in my starting XI for Raith and Hearts.

Also, another towering performance at the back from big Coll.  Love his attitude and enthusiasm and would suggest he's nailed on captain material.  DUFC's loss is certainly our gain.

I thought Joe Chalmers and Fash Austin had nights to remember.  Austin I like as a player but he really struggled against the Cowden defence which is rather alarming. Given that he's a Leven loon and the animosity between East Fife and Cowden I'd have hoped he's have been motivated to get one over them but was far from convincing.

In terms of new faces I thought Rooney did ok but wasn't as convinced by White as Mantis.  Works hard and holds the ball up well enough but I'd have liked to have seen more end product.

Decent enough away support for a Tuesday night in darkest Fife.

I think Raith will be more of a test by which we can gauge where we are and will be watching out for the Hearts scoreline from my summer hols with interest. 

I loved the look of Col and McCart in the back 4. Saw them in friendlies and the communication between the two was immense. Always shouting at the defenders and midfield. Controlling the formation and balls being played.

20 hours ago, LairdMattie said:

Sorry but losing 2 goals and almost a third to Cowdenbeath is very worrying when we are wanting to be promotion candidates. Sorry if that earns some down votes but we need better. 

It's only the second game of the season FFS and effectively still pre season. As long as we win, surely that is the most important thing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Great start to season imo, Hearts just beat Cove by one goal,Cowden beat Raith , so all we can look for is a bit of consistency.We have six points in the bag and plus five goals average. Win against Raith have 9 points and a min of plus 6 goals average ,even if Hearts beat us and if we unluckily go out it will still have been a very good start to season. Certainly nothing to get too hot and bothered about.

The league is the most important competition for us this season anything else is a bonus and could possibly be a distraction.

• tm4tj unpinned this topic